Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weight of the nation-HBO special that you must watch!

Posted by sleeperblues (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 10:28

This is part one of a 4 part series, which I just watched. This should be required viewing for every person on our continent! It brought me to tears a couple of times, especially the section about the children, and the last section about the older couple and his foot amputation. I know part 3 about obesity and children will be extremely hard to watch, but this is scary stuff that we can all do something about. It's 68 minutes long, so you will need adequate time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weight of the Nation

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weight of the nation-HBO special that you must watch!

One thing we all can do is start asking for smaller portions when we eat out. DH and I do it all the time. We even split meals. DH has lost 10 pounds which is good for him and I have lost about 5.

o

I did watch that one with the diabetes information. I have not seen any other parts of the series.

o

I haven't watched them all. It's very sad. However, the small amount that I did watch, one of the people interviewed said, where are the parents demanding better playgrounds.....o.k. they should have better playgrounds.
But honestly, where are the parents....period.

I think the schools should be responsible for healthy, balanced meals, recess time, and bring back gym class! Physical education. Where you have to wear a gym suit, uniform, whatever, run, jump, kick, play ball, get some cardio, build some stamina. Phys. Ed. is a thing of the past, or at most, you take it one day a week, for one 9 week marking period.

Get rid of all junk in school, I'm o.k. with that. But that won't fix anything if it's not in conjunction with better eating, healthier living habits outside of school. The schools need to teach personal responsibility, early. Have a program in the most impoverished areas that teach family's how to cook healthy on a very low income. Until eating healthy is as cheap, and as easy as McDonald's, mac and cheese and hot dogs, nothing is going to change.

Someone posted quite some time ago saying that it's amazing how many people don't know how to cook/make homemade food. So have programs that teach that.

It is a joint effort. The schools, the federal government, the doctors can't do it alone. People have to be responsible for themselves also.

o

Really, really interesting. Thanks, very much for sharing!

o

I just can't fathom *doing this* to your children -- or anybody's children!

But then, I know there are people who compensate for having been whipped as children by continuing the 'tradition'. I think this is attempting to 'normalize' something bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here