Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for All Kinds of Sweets - Week 4 November 2012

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 10:18

Since the holiday seasons are fast approaching, I thought we could share our favorites from our sweets recipes (cakes of all kind (from scratch, from cakemix, cheese, fruit, etc; pies including cobblers; cookies; candy; desserts - you get the idea.

Here is a recipe that I have used since 1960 before my kids were born. I think I got it out of our local newspaper. It is a very good sweet for the fall season - the smell and taste invoke a feeling of hominess and comfort.

Saucepan Raisin Spice Bars

1 stick margarine
1/2 cup seedless raisins
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 t soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t cloves
1 egg

Butter a 9” square pan. Simmer raisins in 1/2 cup water until soft and plump. Drain water saving 2 T. Melt margarine; remove from heat. Add sugar and the 2 T raisin water; blend. Stir in flour, soda, and spices. Add egg and beat well. Add raisins. Pour into pan and bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Do not overbake. Cut into squares.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for All Kinds of Sweets - Week 4 November 2012

First couple times I had this was cruising, then found the recipe. So simple and so good to make. I make this for family at Easter and whenever I have the pleasure

---------------------------------

Easy Chocolate Lava Cakes
Dark chocolate may be substituted for semisweet in this recipe. These can be made at least a day ahead least one day ahead. Pour the mixture Pour the mixture into ramekins, cover and refrigerate. Be sure to bring to room temperature 30 minutes before baking. I also had a couple of baked and prepared ones left over, and I left them in the ramekins and reheated them in the microwave for 15 seconds, and they worked great!
Prep: 15 minutes

Cook: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate or 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels (I used Ghirardelli for both)

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup confectioners sugar

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease 4 (8-ounce) ramekins (custard cups or souffle dishes). Place on a baking sheet.

2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwaveable bowl on High 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in vanilla and confectioners sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and yolk. Stir in flour and pour batter evenly into prepared custard cups.

2. Bake 13 minutes or until sides are firm but centers are soft. Let stand 10 minutes. Carefully loosen edges with a knife. Invert cakes onto serving plates and sift powdered sugar over the top. Serve immediately.

o

I don't like traditional fruit cakes but this one is delicious...just nuts, cherries and pineapple. I made several last year and already made a couple of them this year. I'd make another one but just had dental surgery and I can't eat it right now.

Cherry Pineapple Cake

4 cups chopped nuts. (I use pecans or walnuts)
1 lb. candied pineapple
1 lb. candied cherries...I use half red, half green
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. pure lemon extract

Chop fruit and nuts and dredge with 1/4 cup of the flour (I cut the cherries in half and cut the pineapple wedges in half. This takes a humongus bowl...even my largest pyrex bowl isn't big enough, but I have an extra, extra large glass mixing bowl that I use.)

Cream butter and sugar, and add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and baking powder and add to butter, sugar, and egg mixture. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extracts. Stir in fruit and nuts.

Pour into greased 10" tube pan or two loaf pans and put in cold oven, set at 250* and bake for two hours if using a tube pan and an hour and a half if using loaf pans.

Please note:

I have made this cake 5 times....three times using a regular oven and twice in a Nesco...and it takes considerably longer to bake than the times given. So, I say bake it at 250* until the top is well set and it tests done.

o

I have posted this before....excellent cake for the holidays.
APPLE CIDER POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup apple cider

ICING:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir together all dry
ingredients; set aside. Combine cider and vanilla. Add dry ingredients
alternately with cider mixture to batter. Mix until well blended. Spoon into a
greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan.

Bake at 325� for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
center comes out clean.

Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While cake is warm, drizzle half of icing over
cake. Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings if desired.

o

We love these.

Butter Tart Squares

Base:
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

Mix together with a fork and press into an ungreased 8x8 baking dish. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

Topping:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut
1 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter

Mix together and spread over base. Bake at 325 until firm (30-35 minutes) or until nicely browned.

** I lined the baking dish with parchment, so I could lift the whole thing out for easier cutting.

** I only used 1 cup of brown sugar. Oftentimes, these types of squares are a little too sweet for us and the 1 cup is perfect.

Raisins are often in butter tarts, and they can be added in this recipe as well which I'm going to do next time.

o

This evening I decided to go through my late Mother's recipe box to see if there was a recipe I could post. I discovered that so many of the recipes that are really stained from use were recipes I had written and given or typed for her. Here is the one I chose for today. I had typed this for her on my very first typewriter that they bought for me when I was 17. I still have it, an Underwood portable.

Date Pudding

1st. part: 2 cups brown sugar
2 3/4 cups boiling water
1 lump of butter

2nd. part: 1 cup white sugar
1cup flour
1 pound of dates or 10 oz.
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup nut meats
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix together till well blended.

Boil first part 2 or 3 minutes. then put in baking dish. Dip from the second part by spoonsful on top of 1st.

mixture. Bake until done, at 350 degrees.

Sue

o

Jasdip, those look so good!!!

o

Since we no longer have large Thanksgiving dinners, I no longer make several pies. DH loves pecan pie but DS and I like apple pie so I made a batch of pecan pie bars yesterday, cut them up and froze them. He'll be pleasantly surprised on Thanksgiving day. They freeze beautifully and he can enjoy them for a long time. He eats one a day. He's not big on eating sweets, but he loves, loves, loves these.

Pecan Pie bars

3 C. A.P. flour
2 C. sugar, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. ( 2 sticks unsalted butter + 3 T.
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 C. Light or dark corn syrup (I use 3/4 C. light and 3/4 C. dark)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 C. chopped pecans

Preheat oven 350. Grease bottom and sides of 12 x 18 pan. (I use a jelly roll pan that measures 12 x 18) Line with parchment paper. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 C. sugar and salt. With pastry blender, cut in 1 C butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly and evenly in pan. Bake 15 - 20 min. In large bowl mix together eggs, corn syrup, 1 1/2 C. sugar, 3 T. melted butter and vanilla. Stir in pecans. Spread over hot crust. Bake 25 - 27 min. or until set. Cool completely. Cut in bars.

o

Easy Peasy and so good....

Amazing Coconut Pie
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all purpose baking mix
4 eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
Put everything in a blender. Low speed for a couple minutes.
Pour into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
Sprinkle with flaked or shredded coconut.
Bake at 350 for about 40 mins.
Make sure center is 'set'.
Serve warm or cold.

o

Here is my most favorite blueberry muffin recipe. It is from "Blueberry Muffin Murder" by Joanne Fluke.

Blue Blueberry Muffins

3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (no need to defrost if frozen)
1/2 cup canned blueberry pie filling
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened

Grease the bottoms only of a 12-cup muffin pan (I grease the whole muffin cup). Melt the butter. Mix in the sugar. Then add the beaten eggs, baking powder, and salt, and mix thoroughly.

Put one tablespoon of the flour in a plastic bag with your cup of blueberries. Shake it gently to coat the berries, and leave them in the bag for now.

Add half the remaining 2 cups flour to your bowl and mix it in with half of the milk. Then add the rest of the flour and mil and mix thoroughly.

Here comes the fun part: Add 1/2 cup blueberry pie filling to your bowl, and mix it in. Your dough will turn a shade of blue, but don't let that stop you - once the muffins are baked, they'll look just fine.

When your dough is thoroughly mixed, fold in the flour-coated berries.

Fill the muffin tins 3/4s full and set them aside.

If you have dough left over, grease the bottom of a small tea-bread loaf pan and fill it with your remaining dough.

The topping: Mix the sugar and the flour in a small bowl. Add the softened butter and cut it in until it's crumble. Sprinkle the crumb topping over your muffins and bake them at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. (The tea-bread should bake about 10 minutes longer than the muffins.) When the muffins are baked, set the muffin pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes. (The muffins need to cool in the pan for easy removal.) Then just tip them out of the cups and enjoy!

o

I'm serving this for dessert with gingersnapp crumbs on top and gingersnap ice cream sandwiches

Pumpkin Custard
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S� 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLɮ CARNATION� Evaporated Fat Free Milk
Directions
PREHEAT oven to 300� F.

MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe.

POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking sheet.

BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whipped cream, if desired.

o

Coconut Eggnog Pie

4 cups Coconut Flakes
1/2 cup butter
2 Pkgs. Vanilla Flavor Pudding or Pie Filling
1 1/4 cup milk, I use eggnog
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
3 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip

Combine 2 2/3 cups of the coconut with butter. Press
evenly into ungreased 9 inch pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

Combine pudding mix, milk and nutmeg in bowl. Beat at lowest speed of electric mixer for 1 minute. Fold in whipped topping and 2/3 cup of the coconut.Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill 2 hours.

o

My mouth is watering reading these recipes - I will have to try them all.

Aunt Ida’s Chocolate Gravy

When I was a kid, my Dad's sister lived in Arkansas. My sister and loved to visit her, because we knew she would make us Chocolate Gravy for breakfast (something my Mom never did). We thought it was the coolest ever. So here is Aunt Ida's recipe.

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 - 1 stick butter
1 t vanilla

Mix dry ingredients well and add milk. Cook over medium heat in thick bottomed sauce pan until it thickens, about 10 or 15 minutes, it will get very thick. Remove from heat.

Then add 1/2 to 1 stick of butter or margarine and 1 tsp vanilla and mix well. Then spoon it over hot open biscuits.

o

This was awesome. Friends and family are paying me $40 a pie to make this! It's a little bit of effort but tastes amazing.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie (Annie's Eats)
Ingredients

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
5 1/3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2-3/4 cup caramel
1 cup chopped pecans
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
5-6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
3-4 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
1/4-1/2 cup caramel
Chopped pecans

Directions

To make the crust, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round springform pan with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Toss with a fork until all the crumbs are moistened and the ingredients are evenly mixed. Transfer the mixture to the prepared springform pan and press the crumbs in an even layer over the pan bottom and about half to two-thirds of the way up the sides of the pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until golden in color. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Pour a layer of caramel into the bottom of the crust and sprinkle evenly with the chopped pecans. Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the filling.

To make the apple filling, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, salt and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute, until bubbling. Mix in the apple slices and toss well to coat. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until tender and most of the liquid has been reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and pour into the prepared pie shell. Set aside.

Reduce the heat of the oven to 350 F. To make the cheesecake layer, combine the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Mix in the vanilla, egg and lemon juice until fully incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Spread the cheesecake filling into an even layer over the top of the cooked apples in the crust. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

To serve, carefully remove the sides of the springform pan. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream and confectioners sugar on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (being careful not to overbeat.) Spread gently over the top of the chilled cheesecake layer. Top with dollops of caramel sauce and swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle with a handful of chopped pecans if desired. Slice with a long, thin knife to serve.

I make it with vanilla bean caramel sauce, also from Annie's Eats.

Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Spread the sugar in an even layer over the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over medium-low heat, watching carefully. When the sugar begins to liquefy around the edges, use a heatproof spatula to gently stir it towards the center. Continue stirring very gently until all the sugar is melted, taking care not to over stir. Measure out the heavy cream in a liquid measuring cup and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream. Set aside. Once the caramel reaches a deep amber color, immediately remove the sauce pan from the heat. (To test the color, spoon a drop onto a white plate or bowl.) Carefully whisk in half of the heavy cream along with the vanilla bean seeds. The mixture will steam and bubble violently. Stir until the cream is well incorporated, then whisk in the remaining cream. Stir in the salt and the vanilla. If any sugar has hardened, place the saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If needed, it can be rewarmed in the microwave or in a saucepan over low heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie

o

Chocolate gravy.....I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memories!

o

Here is something cute for Christmas, no recipe needed.

o

Chocolate gravy is a favorite of my son.

Used to make it and serve on warm buttered opened biscuits. Yummmy@

o

Oh yeah chocolate gravy and cat head biscuits! Truly southern goodness!

o

Another one that doesn't like the traditional fruit cake! I found this last year, made it and loved it!! Will be making it again in a few days.

Cherry-Walnut Fruit Cake

2 cups dried cherries
2 cups chopped pitted dates
1 cup cream sherry
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 egg
2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly spray four 3x6x2 inch loaf pans. In large bowl, combine cherries, dates, and 1/2 cup of sherry. Set aside for 15 minutes, stir occasionally. In another bowl, mix flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the nuts. Add the egg and egg whites, mix well. Stir the flour mixture into the fruit mixture. Place 1 cup of batter into each of the loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and tests done. Remove from oven and immediately pour remaining sherry over the loaves. To store, keep well wrapped with plastic wrap & place in tin for up to 2 weeks.

o

Here is another old recipe that my family loves.

APPLE SYRUP

This is a truly delicious syrup. I have used this recipe since the very early 1960s. My daughter especially loves it.

1 cup apple juice
2 sticks cinnamon
12 whole cloves
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Combine apple juice, cinnamon (broken in pieces), and cloves. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Strain. There should be 3/4 cup juice; combine this with sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and boil briskly for 4-6 minutes (230 degrees). Cool slightly. Serve warm on pancakes.

o

This tastes better than it sounds. You could use different fruits and a different flavor pudding if you want. But it's fast and easy if you need a last minute dessert.

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE SALAD (Mommy�s Menu)

12 oz. whipped topping
1 small package of cheesecake pudding (just the powder, don't add the milk)
3 (6 oz) strawberry yogurts (I used Yoplait)
1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
3 bananas, sliced (add just before serving or they brown)
miniature marshmallows (add just before serving)

Thaw whipped topping and in a large salad bowl stir together whipped topping, yogurts, and pudding powder. Let this set up in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Wash and slice strawberries. You can add strawberries to salad or wait to add them with sliced bananas and marshmallows just before serving. Keep refrigerated. Serves about 10.

o

Now that Hostess seems to be gone from our world, I thought someone might want these recipes:

Homemade Twinkies recipe:

Recipe adapted from TLC

Ingredients

For the cake:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the filling:

1/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup light cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar with a handheld mixer until thick. Slowly add in all other ingredients and beat until fully combined. Divide the batter among the mini loaf pans, filling about 3/4 full. Bake cakes for at least an hour, or until golden brown. Cool in pans and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
3. While cakes cook, prepare filling by mixing shortening, sugar, vanilla and light cream with a hand mixer. Once mixed, slowly add in sugar and beat until combined. Fill a pastry bag with frosting and cut a small hole.
4. Once cakes have cooled, carefully poke three holes in the bottom of the cakes. Pipe frosting into the holes until just filled. Cool for at least 20 minutes and enjoy!

Homemade Sno Balls recipe:

Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients

For the cake:

1 stick butter, unsalted
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups 1 percent milk

For frosting:

6 egg whites, warm
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups coconut flakes
2 - 3 drops red food coloring

Directions:

1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray. Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand-held mixer until combined; add eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla. In another bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until there are no streaks of flour. Fill muffin pan cavities 3/4 full and bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire cooling rack. Once cakes are cooking, cut out a small cone from the bottom, discarding the triangle portion but keeping the small cake circle. (This is where the filling will be piped).

2. To prepare the filling/frosting: Beat egg whites until peaks form, about four minutes. In a saucepan, heat sugar, water and cream of tartar until boiling, and remove from heat and let sit until it reaches 242 degrees F. Slowly pour syrup into the egg whites and stir. Add vanilla. Beat until frosting thickens. In a blender, pulse coconut flakes and red food coloring until crumbly. Place the coconut mixture in a bowl for rolling.

3. Fill a piping bag with 1/2 frosting. Carefully pipe frosting into the cakes and cover with the cake circle. Frost the rest of the cake with the frosting and then roll in the coconut flakes. Let cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!

o

It is hard to even think about food this morning (no one even wanted breakfast). Here is a wonderful recipe that a long-time friend sent to me.

Taffy Apple Salad

1 T flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 Granny Smith or other tart apples, cored, diced, peel left on
1 egg, well beaten
2 cups salted peanuts with skin
2 T cider vinegar
1 8-oz container Cool Whip
1 20-oz can chunk pineapple in juice

In saucepan mix flour and sugar. Drain pineapple juice into saucepan with flour/sugar mixture and add vinegar and egg; stir to mix well. Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Cool in refrigerator. In a large bowl, mix cooked, cooled mixture with Cool Whip, apples and peanuts.

Can had mini-marshmallows if you want to.

o

I just may make this for Christmas dessert. This is my sister's recipe. She would bring it for Thanksgiving every year when my parent's still had the farm. Warning: it's very sweet. But a dab of whipped cream on top kills that sweet a little. :-)

Date Pudding

Syrup:

2-1/2 c. water
1 c. brown sugar

Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Batter:

4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. chopped nuts (walnuts work well)
1 c. dates, chopped

Cream the butter and sugar. Add flour, salt, baking powder and milk. Mix well. Add dates and nuts. Pour into a 9" pan. Pour syrup over the top and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. The syrup thickens and makes a caramel-like sauce.

o

Reading the recipe for Chocolate Gravy, it seems to be a chocolate pudding?

Sue

o

Marilyn Sue, it is more like a chocolate sauce.

o

Thank you Marilyn C. Either way, pudding or sauce, I would not want it on biscuits. :)

Sue

o

I think the difference....back when we were kids...we didn't have a lot of choices. If they were available, living in the country and not really poor, but not able to shop at much more than a hometown little store....we didn't know about them. I remember when I was five years old and visited an aunt in NC and she took a little boxed cake mix, stirred some water into it and made a little batter for me for a treat. I thought that was the most fantastic thing. My mother didn't use cake mix back then.

o

Here is something a bit different.

Fresh Fruit Popsicles

1 1/2 lbs (675 g) fresh strawberries, peaches, nectarines, melons, or berries of your choice
1 cup (250 ml) water, orange, or apple juice
3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) plain yogurt

Prepare the fruits for the blender by hulling, removing the seeds, and peeling as determined by the fruits you use. Combine all ingredients in an electric blender or food processor and puree. Divide among eight 5-ounce (140 ml) paper cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Place
in the freezer until partially frozen, 60 to 90 minutes. Insert a plastic spoon, handle up, in each the center of each cup and freeze until solid. To serve, peel the paper cup away. Makes 8 popsicles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here