SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Boys At my Boarding School!!!

User
9 years ago

During the summer of 1935 after I had completed my Freshman year of boarding school we began to hear rumors that what had been an all-girls school since 1882 was about to become coed. For many years local girls had been admitted as day students. Now boys would be admitted too.

All summer we speculated about the rumor, but communication at that time was pretty slow so we really weren't sure aboout it until school began in September.

Sure enough, come September, there appeared about twenty boys, most of them looking as if it really wasn't their idea to be there. There were just two in the senior class but the numbers increased in lower classes. They did not wear uniforms.

Our study hall was made up of double rows of school desks so it meant that there was a likelihood of having a boy sitting next to you for assembly and study periods. Some girls hoped for it; I feared it.

The school had acquired a coach, who also taught Speech, and who coached both football and basketball. He was good-looking and single so we all had a crush on him. There was no competition for the teams, owing to the very small pool of possibilities.One of the restrooms had been changed to male only, but the whole atmosphere probably seemed very feminine to those boys.

The nun who was principal at that time was more social than most and did all she could to encourage the boys. Every now and then on a Friday afternoon she would announce that the last classes were cancelled- that we were to have a dance in the recreation room. I don't remember the dances very well- I was, after all just 12 years old and not very comfortable around boys except for my 4 brothers. The older girls seemed to manage very well and some even danced with the coach. What a change it was for all of us!

This was the beginning of the growth of one of the first co-ed Catholic high schools in the state of Minnesota. The school has prospered; its sports teams have done well; there is now a male principal. I can boast, though that I was there at the beginning!

Comments (10)