Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a good spaghetti sauce recipe

Posted by lindalou (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 9:53

hi all, i am looking for a good spaghetti sauce recipe. i have tried most all of the jarred ones from the store and none of them really got my attention. how do you all make your great spaghetti sauce? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a good spaghetti sauce recipe

And...do you call it sauce or do you call it 'gravy'?

o

Spaghetti Meat Sauce

2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, minced
1 pkg. mushrooms, sliced
1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with hands
1 28 oz. can tomato puree
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 handful chopped parsley
2 T. olive oil
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
2 T. salt
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 handful freshly grated parmesan

Saute' onion, mushrooms in oil until onions are soft but not browned, add garlic saute' till aromatic. Remove from pan and put in large pot. Brown meat and sausage. Drain fat and put meat mixture in large pot with onion mixture. Add remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered an hour or so. Adjust seasonings as needed

o
RE: need a good spaghetti sauce recipe, Tuesday

The following is a meatless sauce for stuffed shells, lasagna or a side dish of spaghetti when your serving chicken Marsala, etc.

Marinara Sauce

4 cloves garlic, saute'd in 2 T. olive oil
3 cans whole peeled tomatoes, mashed through colander (discard pulp)
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
1 T. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
chopped parsley

Cook rapidly uncovered until thickened....45 minutes or so.

o

Sauce is meatless, grave has meat in it - from my Italian(born in Naples) MIL)

For everyday, I make a very simple gravy.
Brown my meat(boneless pork chops, meatballs, small beef steak and/or Italian sausage) in small amount of olive oil and some garlic.

Add I can of tomatoes(crushed or sauce), and 2 cans of water. After the gravy is hot, then add a wee pinch of baking soda and stir - the sauce will foam up (some people use sugar). This makes the tomato sauce less acidic.

Add some basil and crushed garlic cloves.
Turn heat down, and simmer.

o

I know you are looking for homemade but I do have one store brand that I really like. It's Newman's Own Sockarooni.It is somewhat tangy with a lot of zip in my opinion. In fact I think it will be on my menu for tonight.

o

Ah, now I know! Thanks, Monica.

No plate of pasta is acceptable here unless it has some genuine, imported Romano or Parmesan shredded on top. (You use so little; get the good stuff.)

o

Saute 1 or 2 gloves of gsrlic in olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes, l can of tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. of oregano, 1/2 tsp. of basil, 1 tsp. of salt, 1/4 tsp. of pepper, and 1/2 tsp. of sugar. Add browned meatballs or sausage per your preference. I don't bother with mushrooms or onion but you certainly can include them. Sometimes I also add some chopped green pepper and a little dash of tabasco sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here