SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Driving memories

Jasdip
9 years ago

Old Fixer questioned that they still make snow tires in the dinner thread last nite.

In 1992 I bought a new 2-door Honda Accord, with a 5-speed manual. The first time I slid through an intersection in the winter, I bought snow tires and have been using snows every winter, since.

I lived 35 miles from my factory job, and drove in every day. My job was in the city that I live in now, and I lived in a small town. It was a standing joke that I'd be able to drive in to work when other people in the city would phone in saying that they couldn't come in. My boss would always use "me" as a marker saying if I could make it in, then they could.

Anyway one time, I got all the way to work, but the road was a particularly icy and on a grade where the factory is. I slid right into a snowbank, right outside work. I left the car and went in. It was a huge joke, that I got all the way to work only to plunk my car there.

I asked my supervisor if he could bring my car in to the parking lot sometime over the day. He went out and came in and said "You drive a stick! I don't know how to drive one!" He went around to see who drove a standard and found someone who'd bring it in for me :-)

BTW, that car was the best one I ever owned. Such a breeze on fuel and sporty and loved the standard. I now drive an automatic.

Comments (16)