Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Petsitting Service-Hurricane Sandy Related

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 9:30

Hi! I'm in long Island, which still has lots of power outages. Best estimate our electric company can give is the weekend after this (Nov 10-11). Very luckily, my DH and I got power back after 22 hours. Our two daughters have been stopping by, each spent a night here keeping warm. Both have brought over their pets because we have heat and they don't. Older daughter brought her boyfriend's two parrotts. Boy do they make noise! And younger daughter brought her tropical fish. The parrots are in a closed off bedroom to keep cats away and the fish are in a bathroom. So we're running a free pet sitting business. I'm afraid to drive because the traffic lights are still out and I don't want to waste gasoline. So I travel on foot to our local grocery, where they are taking cash only.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Petsitting Service-Hurricane Sandy Related

They may not exactly realize it, but I'm sure the pets appreciate being someplace more comfortable than their homes would be.

How's gas in your area? I'm sure you've heard, it's so bad in NJ, there are long lines, and now gas rationing in many areas. Luckily, we're in the south end of the state--all stations are open and they aren't even raising their prices. And I'm enough inland that our area had rain and wind, but not enough for significant damage, thank goodness. Even so, I tried to talk my dd out of coming to visit today (an hour each way) so she wouldn't waste her gas, just in case.

Glad you're doing well--we had an outtage about that long last summer when the Derecho went through--and you just feel so fortunate when those lights go back on, don't you. Hang in there. We'll get through this one, also.

o

Gas is awful-all the stations in my town are closed, out of gas. There are cars parked around the block about a half mile near one station. There was a "rumor" the station would be getting a gas delivery today (Saturday).

o

I'm so happy to see you posting. I was worried about you. Glad you and DH didn't have to wait too long to get your power restored. I can't believe how bad it is in NY and NJ--and how poor the response is from those who are in charge.

o

Exactly, our power company (LIPA= Long Island Power Authority) is estimating electric will be back for my sister in law next Wednesday (Nov. 7) and my 2 daughters still have no estimated restoration time. They say all but 2 hospitals on Long Island have been restored. And they are saying, if a tree is down, it's the homeowners' responsibility to remove it before the electric company crew will attempt to fix the power line.

o

Jannie--glad things are better for you. Stay safe and keep warm
Marie

o

My brother is in NJ. He still doesn't have power. I asked him about food and water. He said he has a grocery store about four miles away. He is trying not to waste gasoline so he wears a back pack and rides his bike over for ice and any other groceries he might want. He'd be ok for a while even if he didn't have the grocery store. I think he was pretty well stocked up with food and water before the storm hit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here