Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
house guests update :)

Posted by auntyara (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 8:41

First I would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments, and heart felt thoughts for our pain. We are healing as much as we can.

A gigantic cloud has been lifted.
They moved out yesterday and will tow their broke down car some time this week. They had 2 cars, so don't think I tossed them in the street :)
I thought my husband would be angry and he was for a few minutes until he realized they were already gone when he got home from work. I swear I saw relief wash over his whole face. He thought they would be here, and he would have to have the "don't listen to her speech" He is so happy to have his man cave back! And when I told him they moved in with her mother, he said """we are never letting anyone move in again""".
She had told him that her mother said under no circumstance is she ever allowed back.
Well I don't even care anymore. She either lied or her mother had a change of heart. Who cares. We let it go.
Last night we were thinking about all the times we've let family member stay with us. Some stayed a week some a couple of months, some stayed for 2 years! ( my sister's housed burned down and the insurance co tried to screw them over)
A total of 15 different family members. Have stayed with us over the years. Add these 2 and we're up to 17. We just have to laugh!
We must have suckers tattooed on our faces. lol
We FINALLY learned our lesson. A word of warning to all of you, if you are sucker for a sob story...don't buy a big house in the country. Don't fall for the "you wont even notice we're here" The whole aura of my house changed. Happy ending it's changing back.
Thank you all soooo much !
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: house guests update :)

I'm so happy for you, and relieved that your husband is good with it. Too bad that he didn't back you up in front of them, but let that go, too.

I don't think you have "Sucker" tatooed on your forehead. I see "Good and Caring Person" on your forehead. So, don't beat yourself up. Just know that you have done for others and have, unfortunately, been taken advantage of on occasion.

But also be proud of yourself for your self-preservation action. And ... you may have helped these 2 but not letting them mooch anymore.

Suzieque

o

I read your other post but didn't respond. I was very conflicted about it. I agreed with a lot of the comments made. I also realized that it's easy to sit here in my empty nest and say do this do that. So I didn't say anything.

I am very happy for you that this is resolved,hopefully amicably. That kind of stress can be crushing.

o

We have a rule in our house.....you're welcome to visit. Just don't bring luggage.

I have a spare bedroom for guests. It's not living quarters. Everyone knows they are welcome to visit.

o

That was so stressful and terrible for you, but you were so strong and handled it very well. You must feel like you are on vacation! Now relax, recover, and enjoy your home. Everyone here is happy for you.

o

Excellent news!

o

I am so happy for you. I felt ill when I read your other post. I have had some bad roommates and I felt sick, stressed and taken advantage of. You know when it is time to ask them to move on, but it isn't easy. Enjoy your peaceful home.

o

Yay! Good for you. Enjoy the privacy of your home.

o

That's a great update! I'm relieved too. ;-)

o

I too read your first post, but didn't reply and I'm so happy to hear that everything has worked out.

In the past, I've resisted 'helping' some who were down on their luck, fearing that it wouldn't really be helping them, but instead would just be enabling them to go on as they have been.

In many cases, there is a bad reason why someone is in a bad situation (son's friend) and until he changes his ways, and others quit enabling him, he won't learn to stand on his two own feet. Hopefully the young man will get straightened up now and start to learn to fly right.

Sue

o

I'm happy to read that they are gone and your life will be peaceful. That's a great way to start out the new month.

o

Thanks again everyone. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. And Sue aka Chemocurl, it's so good to "see" you again. You've been a like an internet guardian angle to me. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I sure do remember you!
:) Laura

o

So glad to read the update! I can feel your relief thru your post. I imagine your cats will be happy too. You absolutely did the right thing and at the right time. If this festered longer, it could have gotten ugly quickly. Its a good lesson learned for you too-no more live ins. Enough is enough. 17 people? At least the first 15 weren't this bad! So sorry you lost your son. I bet he would have been proud of you being brave enough to do what deep down you know needed to be done. You didn't get to the point of severing ties with this kid, so all is good. Hopefully he matures and gets rid of the girl!

o

I'm so happy for you AND happy for your poor pets, lol. I know that they are feeling a sense of relief, too.

o

I am Happy Dancing for you Laura!

May All Beings Know Love and Peace~~~

o

I'm happy for you. You are a way nicer person that I am, because it wouldn't ever even been something I would have done. I have had visitors, but no one ever moved in except to visit for a few days. Husband and I have no siblings and a very small family. Kids never moved back home so I have never dealt with this but i am set in my ways and would have gone nuts with your situation.

My condolences to you on the loss of your dear son. I can't imagine losing a child.

o

Your relief is expressed in your post.

again I say...GOOD FOR YOU! :)

o

I love it when a plan works out well!
Good for you!
Enjoy your home again.

o

Thanks for the update, and enjoy your place again!

Moni

o

I'm so glad they've moved on.

o

Good for you! Now, you've done your fair share of good deeds for other people, from here on in, let someone else do it and enjoy your life.

o

Pat on the back to you, Laura. Now that you both learned your lesson, NO will be easier to say when the next person asks - lol.

o

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I sure do remember you!

Of course I remember you...my good ole GW buddy.

Sue

o

I am pleased that you can call your soul/house your own again!

I commend you for your kindness in helping folks who were in need.

I am inclined to think that it would have been a good idea to have laid down the law, early on, when you were being taken advantage of ... they were guests in your home, after all.

Dad used to say, "Give'em an inch ... and they'll take a mile".

He didn't say how long it waould take, and usually they do it by increments.

Even dogs try the alpha dog, on occasion, and need to be put into their place!

(Dogs tend to lie on doormats, don't they? Don't get any back-talk at all, in those circumstances.

Hope you enjoy your time together ... and it would have been better if friend husband had provided a little more (quite a it more?) backup.

Good wishes for the coming weeks ... months.

ole joyful

o

I haven't been here to the KT in a week or so, but I read your original post this morning. I'm very sorry for the loss of your son. I'm glad you were able to get your guests moved out. They were taking advantage of you & your husband.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here