Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yummy turkey - cooked OFF the grid!!

Posted by rosemaryt (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 8:25

This year, we roasted our 18-pound turkey in the Weber grill.

We've done that before and cooking with charcoal is a no-brainer, but this year, we used our newly installed solar panels to power the electric rotisserie.

The turkey came out DEEEE-licious. And the solar-charged, battery powered rotisserie spun a little bit slower than it would if hooked up to household current.

The end result was perfect. The turkey was tender and juicy and wholly delightful!

And the most interesting part: The three small solar panels charged the battery *faster* than the rotisserie drained it.

Hubby shows off his turkey:
Photobucket

Newly installed solar panels atop the shed:
Photobucket

Inside the shed, you can see our inverter (left) and solar controller (right). The inverter converts the incoming 12 volts of power into 120 volts, which can be used with household appliances.
Photobucket

The whole rig: Solar controller, inverter (750 watts) and deep-cycle marine battery (12 volts).
Photobucket

And a picture of the almost-final product:

Photobucket

We installed the solar ourselves. Total cost: $351 (for every single thing, which includes $114 for the battery and $39 for the inverter).

I *highly* recommend solar as an emergency power back-up. It's silent and efficient and if I had the roofspace, I'd cover the house with solar panels. :)

And it makes the best turkeys!

Here is a link that might be useful: Specific details on how we installed the solar panels

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yummy turkey - cooked OFF the grid!!

Very interesting, and it does look delicious!

o

Wow! Where did you get the solar panels at that price, please? DH is very interested. Thanks! Oh, and the turkey looks yummy!

Tami

o

Tami, we got them at Harbor Freight. They're "Thunderbolt Solar Panels" and the price was $229, on sale for $189 and I had a $30 coupon. My final price was $159.

They're 45 watts, which is pretty good. I was just outside and I used my electric hedge clippers for 30 minutes. I wore out before the power gave out!

The marine deep-cycle battery was $114, and the inverter (also harbor freight) was $69, on sale for $39 and I had a $10 off coupon.

o

Thanks so interesting I've sent the thread to my DS.
WOW a far cry from all those lovely old homes you collect !!

o

I want to share your link on Facebook for my friends to see....Hope that is OK...

o

Rosemary,
I dont know where I've been but just discovered your webpage via the link above. many happy exploring hours ahead for me

o

Yes, Ruthie, please do share it with whomever. You know I'm *way* into Ham Radio these days. Studying for my "Extra" now. :) Just got my General in September (access to HF bands which transmit all over the world) and I love it.

I even talked the hubby into getting his license. He passed his "Tech" test this morning.

There are three other women in my local radio club, but I'm the first woman who got her Ham Radio License *before* my husband.

Photobucket

o

Love the solar panels...buuuuuuuuuut.....how long did you cook the turkey?

o

wish you could submit this to the Survivor Blog it's the kind of thing they like to have

Here is a link that might be useful: SurvivalBlog.com

o

Minnie,

I hope you enjoy my blog. I've written almost 700 articles (blogs) on a plethora of subjects, from my dog's encounter with a rabid dog to running coax and installing an HF antenna.

Nicole,

My husband cooked the turkey 3.5 hours and it weighed 18 pounds. He checked for doneness using a meat thermometer. The breast meat hit 170 degrees and the dark meat hit 180 degrees.

As to the old houses, I'm getting a little tired of that topic. For 12 years, it was my world.

Now I'm having fun delving into Ham Radio and all its ancillary features. I recently joined not one but TWO local ham radio clubs and I thoroughly enjoy it. The groups are full of folks who are incredibly intelligent and super fun.

I'm the village idiot in both groups, but that's okay. I'm learning so much and they're all so patient with me. :)

o

Well, keep on keepin on !! I'm glad you have expanded your interests (the better for us I think)

o

We've been doing our turkey this way for years. It takes a lot less time and frees up the oven for other things.

This year our 12lb turkey took just a little over 2 and a half hours to cook. It literally falls off the bones doing it this way and is good and moist.

o

Where did yuu find that turkey spit? I have a Weber grill I use in the summer, just cleaned it and stored it Friday (my "Black Friday" chore).

o

Thanks! We have been thinking about solar panels for the RV but don't want to spend tons of $.

Tami

o

Jannie, click on the link below to see the rotisserie.

It's called a "Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie" and Amazon has it for about $140.

Tami, I *highly* recommend the solar panels from Harbor Freight. Our total cost for the whole thing was $351. Curiously, they're called "Thunderbolt Solar Panels."

Here is a link that might be useful: Weber Rotisserie

o

I'm interested in off grid living and ham radios too. Great job on the solar panels. Your blog is fun to read.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here