Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pssst... we can edit posts here now!

Posted by iowagirl2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 8:07

I saw a notice on the computer help forum that some boards will now have the feature to edit posts.I see that feature is available here on the KT.

If I read correctly at the Computer Help board - it is only on newer posts - you can't go back and edit old postings that were made before this feature was added.

***Checking to see if it works - I came back and added this line after submitting my original post***

This post was edited by iowagirl2006 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 8:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pssst... we can edit posts here now!

Hey, that's great! I'm sure some people type things that they wish later they could take back, or it came out wrong and they want to clarify it. Or correct a typo. :)

o

where do you see edit?

o

but now we'll wonder, why did the person edit their post. And if the person clicked "receive responses", do they get all the posts, edited, etc. The edit feature shows up after you've posted. Upper right hand corner.

All the code is gone now. I'm trying to edit an upper one before the lower post. These three sentences are all I've added.

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 15:33

o

I thought that was what the preview button was for
edited just to see what happens will we lose our preview now??

This post was edited by minnie_tx on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 10:27

o

This is a great edition. I typed "edition" instead of "addition" on purpose, so I can edit it.

Did you mean we could edit before we hit send or after? We've always been able to edit before we sent. Guess I'll submit and find out.

o

hmm!

Trying it out.

That was interesting, and easy!

This post was edited by kathyg_in_mi on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:00

o

Well, let me give this a try! Supercalafragilisticexpealidocious - edited to add "Phew", it worked!!!!

This post was edited by kayjones on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:02

o

at another forum I go to...we always put why the edit was done...but I doubt many here will do that!

I had to look for the edit button...but after I found it...pretty easy!

This post was edited by liz_ga on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:16

o

Tamara posted about this in the GW announcement post, she added the information at the end.

Yes we have been the testers for the editing feature.

There are no time limits as to when you can edit, for example if someone has already posted after your post you can still go back and edit it.
No you will not lose the preview option. You gain a new edit option.
And of course you can only edit your own posts.

o

What a shame, R C ... that I can't put words into your mouth!

Maybe it should be the other way around: you be the ventriloquist - I be the dummy!

o j

o

Apparently, it spell checks too.At least mine is underlining misspelled words.

So the edit button is under clippings.Took me a while to find.

When you edit, it doesn't push the thread back up to the top. A poster can change the post without anyone noticing.

This post was edited by adellabedella on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 17:03

o

really?

(Just checking--cool! :))

This post was edited by maddie_in_ky on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 15:09

o

I still don't see it.??????????????? where???????????

o

Look to the right next to your post. There is the part that says "clippings". There should be an 'edit' link under that.

o

ok, now I see it. I looked at other peoples and it wasn't there.

o

It took a second but I found it. Nifty!

This post was edited by maire_cate on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 20:15

o

Are you limited to editing your own posts OR can you edit posts made by others?

I see problems if you can edit posts made by others.

o

Ok, I've answereed my question. The "edit post" only shows up on your own posts. It does not show on posts made by others. Whew, that's good.

o

OK I am going to test it out also;)

o

I guess it does, but all I saw when I came to edit was a bunch of gibberish in computer language, and I erased it all and posted this. Not sure how it works...because I was not sure what the computer language said and if I had wanted to edit it, I would not know what to edit!

O.K. this time I came in to edit my post and it was in the english language so I could see what to edit. Last time I came in to edit it was all in computer language and I did not know what to edit. Must have been a computer glitch or something. I think I like this. Time will tell.

This post was edited by thistledew5750 on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 11:08

o

My concern with an edit button which I've seen on other forums, is when things get heated, or for any reason, when people remove their own posts, the whole thread gets confusing. Pertinent posts are removed and the thread doesn't make sense.

o

I don't understand the need to edit your posts.

By now I would think everyone would have spell check and pop-up blockers. Reading your Preview gives you the opportunity to notice any errors. If you are posting an "opinion," then there is nothing to edit. Just think before you hit Submit. I do, and still some times see errors in what I have posted, but nothing that is world-shattering.

Sue

o

Yes, we can, but now it's all formatted oddly! It's indented with extra space before the edited posts and a line inserted in the post. Further I agree with jasdip. Worse, we have to figure out what was changed. I hope people chose judiciously when and what they edit. Or it could turn confusing!

o

I agree with Jasdip too! My concern with an edit button which I've seen on other forums, is when things get heated, or for any reason, when people remove their own posts, the whole thread gets confusing. Pertinent posts are removed and the thread doesn't make sense. If we are responding to a particular statement we can always quote the person in our reply... that way the original statement is still in the thread. Now even if Jasdip removes (or edits) her post above we will all know what she said. :)

o

HELLO...Hello

This post was edited by momof6 on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 14:06

o

I just re-edited my first post and it took all the weird code and formatting off.

kathyg if you try to edit your edited post, it may take out the weird spacing.

o

that weird stuff was a problem but as Tamara said they have that worked out now and most of the other glitches.

I too worry about edited posts causing chaos and possible drama and even heated discussions. But when we edit it does state that the post has been edited that can not be hidden it is always there to see and the time stamp is there also.
On most of the computer help forums I am on for reasons of keeping them in order and consise it is set up that you have a time limit in which you can edit your post and if someone has already posted after you then you can no longer edit since it could confuse the context of the thread. I personally like that method best because I have been on some forums (not computer) where some people purposely posted then removed nasty posts just to "stir the pot" and cause drama. Those kind of people like to find ways to do that.
Hopefully it will not happen here. I would guess if it is not handled well and the way the powers that be think it should it can easily be taken away just as it was given to us.
Adults play nice with your new toy LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here