Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eBay item damaged in shipping - what to do?

Posted by iowagirl2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 8:05

Calling on the experts at the KT! :)

I recently ordered something from eBay and it arrived broken. It was insured. (But very poorly packaged)

Do I contact the eBay seller - or do I go straight to the Post Office and start the claim myself?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eBay item damaged in shipping - what to do?

I would go back to the seller. you shouldn't have to go through the inconvenience of dealing with the post office.

o

I would first notify the seller. You can't, I believe, file a claim as you are not the one who purchased the insurance - even though you probably paid for it with your eBay purchase.

I'm thinking that you'll tell the seller, who will, hopefully, give you a refund. Then the seller files the claim with the PO.

Ellen

o

The seller/ sender has to make a claim with the Post Office. I once bought a glass pitcher on Ebay and it arrived broken. The seller filed a claim which was denied. The PO said it promises delivery only, not that an item will arrive in one piece. Since then I have considered Ebay a gamble.

o

Good advice above. I once bought two wineglasses on eBay, and one arrived broken. I sent the seller a photo, and she mailed me a replacement. I was glad she was so cooperative and nice. She had only four of them total.

o

The best thing to do is contact the seller by doing the following:
In eBay

Go to your Purchased Items List

Find the item in your list

On the right-hand side of the page, you will see "Leave feedback" and below that "More Actions"

Choose "More Actions" and you will see "Contact Seller"

Choose "Contact Seller", then choose "Item I Received is Not As Described" and click on "No, I want to contact the seller", then "Continue"

Now, you have a box where you can explain to the seller that the item arrived broken. You will also see Attach Photos right above your user name below the text box. For fastest service, attach a digital picture showing the broken item. Ask the seller if they would like to replace the broken item or issue a refund.

Most sellers will issue a refund and tell you to discard the broken item. Some sellers will send you a replacement. In really rare instances, the seller will want you to return the broken item. If they ask you to do so, request that they send you a pre-paid mailing label so that you do not have to pay the return shipping.

Do not throw away the item or any of the packaging materials until you have a refund.

o

Thanks a million!

I will get going on this and contact the seller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here