SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Name 3 Things You Will Not Eat at Thanksgiving

Can you name three things you will not be eating at Thanksgiving? I will not be eating the following.

1. Green Bean Casserole

2. Oysters or anything with them in it

3. Any form of lamb

Sue

Comments (49)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

1. Green bean casserole

2. The topping on sweet potato casserole

3. Cornbread stuffing

• bigack
    11 years ago

I love lamb, but haven't had it in years. I would most anything else!

• Related Discussions

Name 3 things..........

Q

Comments (8)
    Newspapers that I had in the possum cages. Dog food bags. Diet coke plastic bottles. (Acutally, I don't throw them away....I burn them.) :-))
    ...See More

Name 3 things......

Q

Comments (3)
    That's a good question. This is the first weekend since January that we have not had to be at a game, practice, or meet. Not even a birthday party for any friends. Whew. I like to sleep in, read, and get out somewhere by myself. Not that I really enjoy it, but I also like to get the laundry and grocery shopping done so weekdays go smoother.
    ...See More

Name 3 Things You Would Like To Be Doing

Q

Comments (30)
    Not recovering from "walking pneumonia" and pink-eye. Not cooking for Thanksgiving. Swore off of it last year, then DH was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Back to the kitchen; he loves leftovers and I don't even like turkey! Finally getting an answer for DHs ongoing weight loss and nausea.
    ...See More

what time do you all eat on thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (32)
    My family (and my husband's also) has always done holiday meals as a late lunch. We've never done dinner. Not sure why, maybe years ago family members had to travel??? Whatever. I really prefer eating around 2:00 and since I now host many of those meals, that's the time I set. Haha! For a big meal such as Thanksgiving, we are really not into appetizers, etc. Too much food. I prefer (and try steer others!) to eat the meal, then relax, visit, walk,etc. and have dessert later. However, if my MIL is here (and she often is), she thinks you should pull the dessert out as soon as the last bite of the meal is eaten. LOL! After eating we like to visit, at least part of us will end up in the sunroom, and as it's often still nice temps here we will spread to the outside area. While I always offer leftovers to take home, most will not eat again before leaving. Hubby and I often wait and have dessert later on rather than another meal.
    ...See More
  • vickij
    11 years ago

Turkey, turkey and more turkey. It's not that I don't like turkey. I just like everything else more.

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

I agree totally with the green bean casserole and the oysters, too.

As to lamb??? Never heard of anyone serving lamb on Thanksgiving. Not a tradition with anyone or anywhere i've head of.

• User
    11 years ago

giblet gravy (barf)

green english peas in a casserole...by themselves good...in a casserole...bad!
    :)

liver
    in a casserole, fried, or anyway my relatives think they have the greatest dish with liver in it. just nasty, nasty, nasty...I can smell liver a mile away and it makes me sick.. course my husband tells me I have a nose like a blood hound.

• chloecat
    11 years ago

giblets

cranberry sauce (fresh or canned - doesn't matter)

Hmmm. I like everything else we have!

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

brussel sprouts..

we will have green bean casserole

have made "giblet gravy" but only the broth they were cooked in (give the actual organs to the cat!)
    now we only get jennie-0 breasts..no more big family dinners...

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Candied Yams
    Dressing
    Pumpkin Pie

I make all those things for others, but I don't like them.

• chisue
    11 years ago

Oh, that *awful*, salty, gooey green bean casserole with the fried onions on top! Yuk.

Same yuk for the too-sweet sweet potato casserole -- even worse with marshmallows.

Plain bread stuffing.

Jello anything.

• patti43
    11 years ago

I can't think of anything, but I don't make green bean casserole. I have to admit I like the taste, though :-)

• bigfoot_liz
    11 years ago

LOL glad I'm not the only one disliking the Green Bean Casserole! I certainly feel like the only one in my turkey day circle haha!

1. green bean casserole
    2. gummy stuffing (I've made my share unfortunately LOL)
    3. too salty gravy (once tried Publix ready made dinner)

glad to see the oysters mentioned I "had" been thinking of making a new type of stuffing w oysters...NOT now LOL! my DH thanks those who mentioned them, he didn't want it! ;-) ~ liz

• nelles_gw
    11 years ago

1. Pecan Pie
    2. Lamb
    3. Oysters

• luckygardnr
    11 years ago

The gizzards! Heart, liver and that other ugly thing!

• mamatoad
    11 years ago

Sweet Potatoes with marshmallow topping
    Oysters in any form
    Brussel Sprouts
    Giblets

• Kathsgrdn
    11 years ago

gravy made with giblets...because my kids complain every year I make it. I grew up on it and that's what I like but I have to conform to please the kids.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Green Bean Casserole
    Yams

• patti43
    11 years ago

I posted a recipe for made-from-scratch green bean casserole on the weekly recipe post. No salty soup! I haven't made it but, after reading the recipe again, I'm making it for T-giving.

• swimmer22
    11 years ago

Salad
    corn
    cranberry sauce

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

No meat~~nothing made with meat juices.

We will be in Pismo Beach Thanksgiving Day, the resturant has a pre fixed menu that day~~they offer one vegetarian entree, I do not know what it will be~~but I am sure it will be good;)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Patti, I don't want anything in my green beans but either ham or bacon, onion and salt and pepper, maybe a touch of sugar, not much of that. :) You can toss in some potatoes if you like. :)

Sue

• chisue
    11 years ago

Only sausage stuffing for me.

No, I don't want oyster *anything* or sprouts. (I haven't given either one a thought in years until reading this thread.)

I love leg of lamb (and lamb chops), but that would be an Easter entree here.

I haven't though about peacan pie in ages; DH doesn't like it. Maybe just some candied pecan halves?

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Fish, even though I really like it
    Ham or pork, because we don't eat pork products
    Chocolate deserts, because I can't eat it any more.

• sandiefl
    11 years ago

Giblet Gravy

Mincemeat Pie

Cranberry Sauce

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

When I consider the traditional Thanksgiving dinner there isn't a single thing I don't like...That is not the same as not eating something that day,,,there is only so much one person can eat even on Thanksgiving! I love it all!
    Joann

• alisande
    11 years ago

Gravy
    Anything with marshmallows
    Dessert

• Pieonear
    11 years ago

No green bean casserole

Nothing involving sweet potatoes

Nothing with orange zest/rind in it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Let's see...

- anything with Jell-o or gelatin (as in aspic)

- anything with marshmallows

- mincemeat pie

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

Can't stand:

Sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, or turnips.

(Also lamb, but I don't know anyone who cooks that. I haven't had any since I was a kid...my mother used to try and trick me into thinking it was steak.)

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I love everything my mom makes for T-giving, but of course I grew up with it so that's what I like. However, I won't eat giblet gravy. I used to not eat brussels spouts. Now I make myself eat one every year. I do like the roasted ones I get at my local market. We don't have sweet potatoes with marshmallows, but I would not eat them if we did. My mom's sweets are still kind of gross since they are swimming in butter and brown sugar, but I love them. I love when then sweet potato juice runs into everything else.

So:

giblet gravy
    brussels sprouts depending on how they are prepared
    marshmallows

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I love everything that shows up on my family's Thanksgiving table including most of the things mentioned here. I in general do not eat liver but it would not be on our table. I am not a fan of aspic but that would not be on the table either.
    I don't like greens but I don't recall ever having them on Thanksgiving.

I will eat green bean casserole, there are some good ones, and my sister makes a great one.
    The praline topped sweet potato casserole is one of my favorites.
    Oyster dressing love it.

I really can't think of anything other than greens and liver.
    I love good giblet gravy, but the giblets are removed before serving.

We have never had duck or goose for Thanksgiving but I don't care for them. I don't mind it in gumbo. My family are big hunters so both of these along with venison could show up. I am fine with venison.

• Toni S
    11 years ago

I like almost everything!

Cilantro is a no go but we don't have it at home,,,EVER!

Don't want to eat figs, or giblets if I don't have to.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

No meat or anything made with meat juice. Fresh lobster sounds really good to me.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

The hot baked corn my nephew's wife brings every year. When I say "hot", I mean she puts jalape�o peppers and other things the recipe calls for that makes it too spicy for me.

• lindalou
    11 years ago

Giblets (or anything with them in it)
    anything sweet potatoes
    oyster dressing

• brightonborn
    11 years ago

Green bean casserole

Pumpkin pie

Everything else is just fine..

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Eve tho it is too eaarly in the morning here, you are making me hungry. I love all things Thanksgiving. I like to think of myself as an "almost" vegetarian (or past veggie person), but that turkey leg can just get my mouth watering. Has to be done on the Weber BBQ and is quite possibly the ONLY meat I like.

Don't like "sweetened" sweet potatoes.

Don't like "creamed" anything...ie green beans

Whipped Cream, Sour Cream anything.

• cardamom
    11 years ago

Neither my husband or I use gravy and I don't do mincemeat pie. Since I've found a green bean casserole dish without the soup..I've made that and everyone eats it.

For all the fuss of turkey, I have a slice cause it tastes good with the stuffing and cranberry sauce. It serves a purpose.

• Hellion
    11 years ago

Giblets
    Marshmallow topping on sweet potatoes (I love anything marshmallow otherwise though)
    Pecan Pie

• cynic
    11 years ago

1) Sweet potatoes
    2) Oysters
    3) Entrails

Fortunately, around here, none of them are popular.

• ritamay91710
    11 years ago

giblets...or anything made with them.

mince meat pie.......what the heck is it? Is it really meat??

green bean casserole...just blech.

• arkansas girl
    11 years ago

Can't think of anything served in my family that I wouldn't eat but we are having rib eyes so don't have to worry about sweet potato casserole with marshmallows or "entrails"...GAH!

• patty2430
    11 years ago

I love reading everyone's opinions! The thought of squash or sweet potatoes makes me clench my teeth together...anyone out there with a recipe for those vegis with a much less sweet taste, I'd give it a try. I have tweaked the green bean casserole over the years to where it's nowhere near the back-of-the-can recipe, but I understand anyone's aversion to it, and wouldn't be insulted if you didn't take any at T. dinner. Just found out today that I'm doing dinner for the family, and I'm jazzed. In-laws used to cook the turkey two days before Thanksgiving, slice it up and cook it again on Thursday. Yipes! Oh the stories I could tell.

• jannie
    11 years ago

1. Turkey legs
    2. Creamed onions
    3. Stuffing/Dressing. I hate wet bread.

• mad_about_mickey
    11 years ago

1-peas
    2-asparagus
    3-artichokes

• cynic
    11 years ago

Was it as hard for others as it was for me to limit it to just 3 items? :D

• jennmonkey
    11 years ago

1. Anything that once walked around on land
    2. Anything stuffed inside something that once walked around on land.
    3. Anything with sweet potatoes/yams. Especially canned with marshmallows on it.

We'll be eating with my boyfriend's family. I have to work that day so it makes it hard for me to contribute something actually vegetarian (I'll try and make something the night before). These kind of meals are difficult for vegetarians when meat eaters sometimes don't quite get that something might not be vegetarian just because it doesn't have big hunks of meat in it, ie....chicken stock, bacon bits, etc. Some people put some sort of animal product in everything they make, even the vegetables. Which is fine, just makes things trickier for me. All my sisters are vegetarians (or pesca-tarians), so our holidays meals are filled with tons of delicious vegetarian dishes, but being the only one is a whole different ball game.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I've never had green bean casserole. I've seen photos and the recipe in magazines.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Can't stand giblet gravy, so will never serve it.

The back of the soup can green bean casserole, this family has never, never liked it. However, we do have two more green bean casseroles that we love (no cream of soup in either one).

Also, green salad. It just seems out of place on the Thanksgiving table at our house, even though we all love salad.

• jenuwin
    11 years ago

Dark turkey meat
    corn(just not right for the occasion)
    Stuffing cooked outside the bird.