SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Dementia/Alzheimer's

kittiemom
11 years ago

I know there's a caregiver's forum here, but it doesn't seem to get a ton of traffic. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dementia-type illnesses? My dad is 81 & is exhibiting symptoms of this. It's gotten progressively worse over the last two years. His short-term memory is basically gone. He will ask 10-15 times during a conversation about a doctor's appt. who is picking him up, at what time, etc. Typical of this illness, he has notes to himself everywhere. He then forgets to take the note down when he's done & that makes him even more confused. Unless my BIL is able to accompany him to lunch, we can't even be sure that he's eaten every day. He is constantly misplacing or losing things - cell phone, checkbook, etc. I had all his bills converted over to draft, otherwise I'm sure he would have had multiple things cancelled/turned off by now. He also has a mobility problem with his foot (it drags & he can't pick it up well). He has a lot of problems even getting in & out of his house.

He has long-term care insurance, but we need an official diagnosis. So far, he has refused to have his memory tested; he says his problems are just because he's getting older. He also refuses to acknowledge the problem with his foot. He just says that it gets stiff when he sits down & he's fine once he starts moving around. That is not the case. He needs a walker even to get anywhere in his house in order to maintain his balance. He's obviously a fall risk.

It's becoming obvious that something needs to change. Either he needs to go to an assisted living facility or we need someone to go to his home. So far, he's refused both. We have tried to go to his house & clean, but he's lonely & wants to visit instead. If we attempt to clean anyway, he becomes angry & says he'll take care of it himself or have my BIL help with it. However, he won't let BIL do it when he goes over. He also refuses to stop driving, though he is driving much less than he used to. I asked one of his doctors to contact the DMV about him not driving, but he said this was a family matter.

If anyone has had a loved one in a similar situation & has any advice, I'd certainly appreciate it. We have tried talking with him about this, but he absolutely refuses to admit that he has a real problem.

Comments (17)