Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, are Twinkies gone for good?

Posted by cynic (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 3:20

Suppose the price will go up on Lil' Debbie's "Cream Boats"?

How many of you will be making the Twinkling Turkeythis year (with the Twinkie stuffing and cream glaze)? I won't.

Another American icon bites the dust. Hard to say whether anyone will pick up the trademarks. Many of them anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, are Twinkies gone for good?

Haven't bought a Twinkie in many, many years, so it wouldn't bother me if they're gone. I imagine the name and recipe will be sold. The recipe is probably NOT the same one that they started with anyway. It is probably now loaded with that HFCS like all the other yucky stuff at the store. I can only stomach homemade goodies anymore because of that ingredient.

o

According to this article, Twinkies will be back. I am more upset about the breads!

Here is a link that might be useful: Twinkies?

o

I never liked Twinkies, but I did occasionally buy chocolate treats, RingDings,Yodels, cupcakes. I won't miss Hostess. There are 2 lovely bakeries nearby, plus there are other snack treat makers like Little Debbie.

o

But, here is PA, we still have Tasty cakes...the REAL icon of snack foods, established in 1917.
Cupcakes, Juniors, Krimpets....all copied by Hostess as twinkies, etc.

o

Piggy Sue was grieving, last time I checked.

Really, I don't buy them for myself. I feel badly for the employees.

o

I loved Twinkies, Ring Dings and Yodels but haven't had any of those in 35 - 40 years so I don't think I'll miss them. It is sad to see them go though, and I feel for all those that will be out of a job.

o

I'm sure the "names" will continue.

o

Feel badly for the UNION employees who walked out?
So, they went too far, and the company said they would have to close, and they did.
The UNION was the cause, they rejected the offered contract.

o

No, Monica...I don't feel badly at all for the union members. The vast majority of the employees weren't union. Something like 16,000 or more.

o

I believe the union rep when he says the hedge fund that bought Hostess out of bankruptcy demanded workers take 30% wage cuts. The union struck, and other workers quit -- rather than accept that.

Someone will continue to supply the area with junk food, and they'll need employees.

I haven't seen anyone eat any of these products in years. We used to call Wonder Bread 'duck bread' when I was a child; fit to tear up to feed ducks in a pond. (Poor duckies.)

o

I like Twinkies, but, probably only bought some maybe once a year. I can remember the kids buying them when I was in grade school. Our school bus would stop at this little store on the way home and kids getting off and getting them, then getting back on the bus. We all lived in the country. That was nearly 60 years ago at least.

Sue

o

I think the only time we ever bought these products was if I was near one of their budget stores and then I'd load up with the kid's favorites.....That might have been once a year...A friend of our's is connected with Little Debbie so we get our share of goodies.....(we all shouldn't be eating)......

o

In the San Francisco Bay Area, the same company also made Colombo sourdough bread, which was our go-to brand, both traditional baguettes and loaves and the larger sliced loaf that we used for everyday toast or sandwiches. So I picked up two loaves yesterday for the freezer until we taste-test another brand.

Twinkies, no, sourdough bread YES!

o

I believe that Hostess will put the brands up for sale, but because of all the other kinda-similar snack-cake brands out there, I wonder if anybody will "bite" -- the market's saturated (fill in your own pun!)

But it is very sad for the workers, who show up to the plant and are told they're fired. Not that they didn't know the labor troubles, but it's a rough time, with the holidays upon us.

Grew up with Hostess and Drake's in the corner store. Will have to see if there's just one more box of Devil Dogs in a store near me... Tastykakes butterscotch krimpets in a pinch when I need a no-nutrient sugar fix, tho.

But Hostess also makes Nature's Pride bread, which I really like -- bummer.

Here's a very clever piece on the end of the Twinkie:

Here is a link that might be useful: washpost

o

I am no fan of twinkies... but cyclists overall, ate them a lot.

I much prefer little debbies. :)

Moni

o

Another Tastykake girl here. Just give me a butterscotch krimpet and I am in heaven. They have been local items but were sold to a company in Georgia (I think), so may they will be available in more places soon.

I feel just awful for the people at our local Twinkie bakery who will be losing their jobs. It is hundreds of jobs lost. It's sad.

o

Well, shoot me now, because I'm about to admit I love Twinkies!! Mind you, I don't eat them or buy them a lot these days. But when I want to take a trip back in time, it's with a Twinkie. (And they're very good with macerated strawberries on top and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. The juice from the berries soaks into the cake and turns it into heaven. Darn it, now I want that!

o

I have an occassional Twinkie fit, but my unabashed love is for the cupcakes. They are a rare treat, but dang--love 'em.

o

There are lots of receipes out there that mimic the Hostess brands..that will taste a great deal better. The brand used to have less preservatives and a fairly short shelf life... I remember reading this the last time Hostess was under the gun and filing bankrupcy..

o

I love the Hostess cupcakes and Ding Dongs. Detest Little Debbie products.

o

Someone made the Twinkie-stuffed and glazed turkey and does not recommend it. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cake doused with poultry grease

o

guess I dont have to worry about them,since I have no idea what they even are :)

o

A big plant in Mexico may buy it, as it already owns some other businesses in US. It was on the computer on the news.

o

One could only hope.....

o

>> guess I dont have to worry about them,since I have no idea what they even are :)

Seriously??? I didn't think there was ANYONE who hadn't grown up with Twinkies in their life. :-) In my opinion, you're not missing much; I don't care for them. Too sweet.

o

We haven't eaten Hostess products for several years. Mrs. Baird's has a factory in the metro area and a Little Debbie outlet is on the way to my sister's place in Arkansas. I'm still good for bread and junk food.

o

Count me as one who never ate a Twinkie in my life. I thought they were gross as a kid, and now that I know how many preservatives are in them, I was a smart kid. I adored chocolate Tastycake cupcakes...three in a pack for a dime. My mother was one of the best cooks and bakers in town so she would never buy them , but I had my ways. I got them for my kids when they were little but ten years ago when my daughter and I last had them, we almost gagged. They taste nothing like the old cupcakes. Husband says Tandycakes and Krimpets taste pretty much the same but I haven't had one in decades.

o

According to my source, the Hostess company is gone for good. With them, "Twinkies" could be gone also. Twinkies and several other products are for sale and could continue under a different company, however, there have been no buyers yet.

The company blamed the Union claiming they could no longer stay in business and meet the demands of the Union. The Union countered by pointing out significant increases management has gotten over the past few years while the bakery worker has gotten none to little.

The filling in the original Twinkie was banana flavored. That was changed to vanilla.

o

I remember the banana filling so many years ago and I liked it better.

Sue

o

My understanding on the union issue is that there were two unions involved. Teamsters voted to accept, but the bakers union rejected, so ironically, one union brought down the other.

A lot of things could happen. The trademarks of course have value but how much will someone spend for them is the question. Some might want it for promos, not unlike the McRib. The Hostess name itself probably wouldn't be a lot of value unless someone made them essentially the same but when one company couldn't do it profitably another would be hesitant. Even considering union issues.

I did enjoy the occasional flavored cupcakes. Strawberry, orange and the apple cinnamon were very good. And they had the apple cinnamon Donettes that I liked. Oh well, on to other things.

They go to court tomorrow for permission to sell assets which I have no doubt will be granted. Doubtful the plants will reopen though.

o

I never liked Twinkies,,,o HoHos or any of those cakes so I wouldnt have even noticed they were gone. Everytime I hear about them I think of Archie Bunkie(some will recall that episode )LOL!

o

Never really had them much as kids. Remember the kiddie TV shows with the kids in the audience. They'd get a goodie bag and usually a Twinkie was in there, but in those days is was a single, larger Twinkie, sometimes cupcakes, Double Bubble Gum and a Lactona toothbrush was in there too!

o

I haven't bought Hostess products in years because they were always so much more expensive than other brands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here