SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

This is my LAST Thanksgiving dinner ever.

caroline94535
10 years ago

No more.

Not worth it.

No joy and no thankfulness. I'll be thankful only when it's over.

I'm throwing in my oven mits.

Sam just ate my beautiful, from-scratch, pumpkin pie. Broke my vintage deep dish pie pan, too. Now I have a smeared mess of pumpkin filling, glass, sugar, flakey pie crust, etc. all over the floor of my sewing room. Yes; the pie and cornbread was on a TV tray in the sewing room to keep them "safe" from the dogs. I didn't have one square inch of "safe" space to store them in the kitchen.

I don't know how he got the door open.

I've spent three days planning, preparing, shopping, wresting dogs, trying to keep them out of my cramped, ugly, impossible to keep clean kitchen.

I've sliced and diced and prepped and cooked and planned since Monday. I've stood on my still-weeping from surgery sore feet all day long. Every task takes at least four times as long because I have to stop to tend the dogs (Harry alone was n-e-v-e-r a problem) or corral the dogs, or re-clean the counters because they were sneaking food...or wheedle and whine to get DH to watch them for 10 minutes here and there.

Not worth it.

I'll go ahead and roast the #@!*& turkey breast and finish making the dressing. I'll put it all on the table and watch everyone eat. I'll spend the evening washing and scouring and cleaning and trudging pans upstairs and down.

Then I'm tossing the pilgrims and stands of autumn leaves.

No more "festival" of three days of cooking and cleaning in the name of a "holiday." Not to mention TWO trips (45-minutes each way) to town to get the special groceries.

If I didn't have company coming I'd toss the raw turkey, chicken and pheasant to the dogs and call it good.

I do have a frozen pecan pie in the freezer. I have to get the dressing and birds into the oven at a certain time. I won't have space to bake another pie. That was today's task.

I'll be thankful...thankful that in 24 hours this will all be over.

Comments (48)

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia