SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

So I thought I'd freeze some herbs in olive oil.....

alisande
11 years ago

I read about this in several places online, illustrated with pictures. They show the person putting an herb in a blender, along with olive oil (usually 1/3 cup oil for 2 cups herbs), turning the blender on, and ending up with a soft paste that can be put in a freezer bag and then flattened. When frozen, pieces can be broken off to add to soups, etc. It looked good.

I picked rosemary and sage this evening, and decided to start with the rosemary. I put it in the blender with the olive oil, turned on the blender (yes, I covered it), and . . . it whipped the oil. Nothing happened to the rosemary. Wouldn't you think a blender, and a fairly new one at that, would turn fresh rosemary into a paste? Not this one.

I ended up turning on my food processor and slowly pouring the contents of the blender into it. I think it might have turned into a paste if I'd had a larger quantity. As it was, it did a lot better job of chopping the rosemary, but the two ingredients never quite got together.

So now I have a one-pint freezer bag in the freezer, partly filled with rosemary and olive oil, and a sink completely filled with blender and food processor parts, each covered with olive oil. And I'm going to bed.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?