Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So I thought I'd freeze some herbs in olive oil.....

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 23:51

I read about this in several places online, illustrated with pictures. They show the person putting an herb in a blender, along with olive oil (usually 1/3 cup oil for 2 cups herbs), turning the blender on, and ending up with a soft paste that can be put in a freezer bag and then flattened. When frozen, pieces can be broken off to add to soups, etc. It looked good.

I picked rosemary and sage this evening, and decided to start with the rosemary. I put it in the blender with the olive oil, turned on the blender (yes, I covered it), and . . . it whipped the oil. Nothing happened to the rosemary. Wouldn't you think a blender, and a fairly new one at that, would turn fresh rosemary into a paste? Not this one.

I ended up turning on my food processor and slowly pouring the contents of the blender into it. I think it might have turned into a paste if I'd had a larger quantity. As it was, it did a lot better job of chopping the rosemary, but the two ingredients never quite got together.

So now I have a one-pint freezer bag in the freezer, partly filled with rosemary and olive oil, and a sink completely filled with blender and food processor parts, each covered with olive oil. And I'm going to bed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So I thought I'd freeze some herbs in olive oil.....

I'll share the methods that work for me.

The woody herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme, and tarragon can be frozen whole. Be sure to dry them completely after rinsing. Chuck them in freezer bags stems and all. Once they're frozen, squeeze the bag and the leaves break right off the stems. Easy!

For the more tender herbs like basil, parsley, and oregano I simply chop them up in a food processor and put them in ice cube trays. Most say to cover them with olive oil, but I find they freeze just as well using water. Store the frozen herb cubes in freezer bags and drop them frozen into your sauce or whatever.

I'm sorry you have such a mess to deal with!

o

The woody herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme, and tarragon can be frozen whole. Be sure to dry them completely after rinsing. Chuck them in freezer bags stems and all. Once they're frozen, squeeze the bag and the leaves break right off the stems. Easy!

For the more tender herbs like basil, parsley, and oregano I simply chop them up in a food processor and put them in ice cube trays. Most say to cover them with olive oil, but I find they freeze just as well using water. Store the frozen herb cubes in freezer bags and drop them frozen into your sauce or whatever.

o

o

Sorry for the triple post. I have no idea how that happened!

o

That sounds much easier, Woodsy! I'll try it with the sage. My DIL also suggested that if I want to try the olive oil approach again I might do better using my hand-held Cuisinart blender. Easier cleanup, at least.

o

I'm going to try that Woodsy. Thanks!

o

That's how I freeze my pesto, Woodsy. I make it in the food processor, freeze it in ice cube trays, and then pop them out into ziplocks. Individual sized pesto cubes!

o

Good luck with your easy freezing! I make pesto too, and freeze it exactly the same way. There is nothing like the taste of summer in the dead of winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here