SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

What ticks you off?

glenda_al
9 years ago

Lack of concern by doctors personal nurse!

My doctor has a young nurse, and is so hard to communicate with her. Experienced that with her, this past Friday. He had a very compassionate nurse, that everyone loved, but she's gone. I'm planning on giving my doctor my opinion, for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

Love my doctor, but his personal nurse lacks.

Comments (47)

• Deeby
    9 years ago

When I say my name is Deborah and people immediately Debbie me. Or ALWAYS write Debra without asking how my name is spelled, which is Deborah.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Know it all: Love my best friend, but I call her my "Encyclopedia" friend.

Love being around her, but she's a bit much. Wish she was less knowledgable at times :o)

• Related Discussions

March 27...just pulled 7 ticks off my dog!

Q

Comments (12)
    I omitted Frontline from my initial post accidentally, we have been using this for a couple years now, initially it worked very well and we would find ticks on the floor, some dead and some which had perhaps bailed off the dog, dead one's which were partially engorged but still in/on the dog. The effectiveness has waned over the last year and I find, during my twice daily close inspections, ticks in various states of engorgement regularly. Being yellow (the dog) the ticks are very easy to spot and usually they come out on top of the fur within a few moments of his laying down and I can walk over and simply pick them off and put them in my alcohol filled tick-jar; the only way to truly grasp the sheer number of ticks I find on him. He got lime disease two years ago, it was amazing in that it dropped him in three days; he went from his normal extremely active self, to me carrying him to the car for a trip to the vet in 72 hours flat. I presume that any mammal can contract lime disease? I am wondering, with their prevalence here, how much of an issue we will have with the goats, donkey, pony we are preparing for, and ticks/lime. I know right now I spend ten minutes in the AM and ten minutes in the PM with the dog giving a good petting/scratching/brushing in search of ticks and if the case will be the same with the other animals I fear I could be spending an inordinate amount of time searching them for ticks. Might cause me to reconsider.
    ...See More

Heartbroken! And Ticked Off!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Lisa, No Bird Police ... if I could manage to catch the wren, it would be history. Two of my granddaughters first saw the destroyed eggs on the ground and came running inside all upset. The 10 yr. old said she would give me her air rifle to kill the wren. But I told her I'd end up shooting out the windows of my back door neighbors. I'd never be able to zero in on the bird. Then she said why don't you put a mouse trap in the bird house - and I told her that the blues would get trapped also,. She tried and tried to come up with a solution. Lady Jemima, Our subdivision is fairly new, and we've only been in this house a little over 4 years. We have a dozen or so varieties of birds that have found us, but only now has a wren showed up. I don't have a wren guard, but I went to the sialis site and have seen them. When I get over my heartache, I may get my husband to make one by the plans on the sialis site
    ...See More

I'm so ticked off

Q

Comments (10)
    Definitely! I often have an idea of what exactly the "right" fabric is and can't find it. It's very frustrating but often it leads to wonderful results because it forces me to get out of my comfort zone and rethink my approach. Sometimes it means completely changing the color scheme for a quilt. That happened on the little lap quilt I just made for my grandmother. What was originally going to be a sage, terra cotta and robin's egg blue quilt, ended up chocolate, teal and red--and beautiful. You are making a new quilt, so don't let the old one call too many of the shots--it was a unique creation. Use the original as a guide or inspiration, but also let the new quilt be whatever it needs to be. I know you haven't asked for suggestions, but my first thought was to ditch the poly substitute and go for the real thing instead--find a lovely raw or dupioni silk and go from there. As talented as you are, I'd be holding my breath to see what you could do with silk as a medium! With most local fabric sources going out of business, it's increasingly difficult to find what I want locally, and at the best of times, I have to drive almost an hour and a half to the nearest JoAnn's, so I've been turning more and more to on-line shopping. Just for kicks I googled "faux silk" and found some gorgeous fabrics. My on-line shopping experiences have all been great, so I guess I don't worry much about buying that way. Annie
    ...See More

How to tick your husband off

Q

Comments (19)
    It's not your fault! If he really want them, he'd have written it on a Post-It note, or handed you the lid/label from the old box. :) At least that's what I do with sieve-headed men. :) The great thing about living in town is that there are all these new sharing economy apps where you can pay a couple of bucks to the app plus a tip to students who need the work to bring you whatever you forgot when you were out. :) Give it another few years, though, and in the country you'll be able to get the fencing staples delivered by drone. :)
    ...See More
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Glenda, walk softly with your doctor. If he did the interviewing and hiring and not an office manager, criticism of his personal assistant might be taken as a 'personal' criticism. That happened to me years ago with my ob/gyn. I was experiencing an issue that was especially worrisome to me right at the time she hired a new medical assistant who looked about 10 yrs old and had a sing songy preschoolish voice to boot. Not confidence building for sure and after I'd waited a week for a call back one time to only be told in almost baby gibberish that she had no answer for me yet, I was admittedly short with her. No name calling or temper losing, just tone of voice on my part and SHE complained about ME to my doctor who defended her. What a fiasco that was, and I was in the grip of hyperactive thyroid at the time so 'wired tight' anyway.

Things that tick me off....Prejudice. Nuisance phone calls. Gossip. Weather. Coming home from the store without everything on my list only to have to go back again. Tailgating drivers when already doing 75 on the freeway and the speed limit is 70. Appliances that don't work. Service people who make an appointments and are late. Very late.

I think I'm turning into a cranky old thing and a whole lot of things tick me off but I'm very good at not letting anyone know that.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

What ticks me off is deer ticks. I got one last year when working with a road cleanup crew.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Glenda, I'm sorry that you experienced that. I would go with your gut feeling about complaining and do so in a productive manner. Or, give the nurse a second chance....not a third. I waited too long to bring a problem to my doctor's attention once and it won't happen again.

I've had a few bad experiences with support staff and it's sooooo frustrating! Here's something to remember...if you (anyone of us) feel like we're being wronged by a a member of your doctor's staff, YOU WONT BE THE ONLY ONE. I learned that by experience. So don't suffer in silence very long. Most doctors want to know of any problems.

I get irritated by poor service....in a restaurant, at the doctor's office, in the government sector (yikes), ANYwhere! Thankfully, it happens so rarely in my world. I wonder, sometimes, if it boils down to expectations. I have high expectations and high standards and they are usually met.

I also get very irritated by the judgemental comments made to belittle vocabulary, spelling, or grammatical errors of others, or by those who feel the strong need to correct someone in front of others on a public forum.

• sidnee
    9 years ago

Tailgaters.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Glenda,
    I'm sorry for your experience. I hope that it changes for the better, however you decide to handle it.

What irritates me? Kids running amok in stores and the parents ignoring their behavior. Littering (that's a bigger deal than one might think, I live a block away from a high school and the littered trash is unbelievable. I finally took a half a bag collected one morning and brought it and my feelings to a very sympathetic school staff member).
    I guess I live a blessed life because looking at the big picture, the irritants aren't that big a deal.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Glenda, I'm sorry that you experienced that. I would go with your gut feeling about complaining and do so in a productive manner. Or, give the nurse a second chance....not a third. I waited too long to bring a problem to my doctor's attention once and it won't happen again.

I've had a few bad experiences with support staff and it's sooooo frustrating! Here's something to remember...if you (anyone of us) feel like we're being wronged by a a member of your doctor's staff, YOU WONT BE THE ONLY ONE. I learned that by experience. So don't suffer in silence very long. Most doctors want to know of any problems.

I get irritated by poor service....in a restaurant, at the doctor's office, in the government sector (yikes), ANYwhere! Thankfully, it happens so rarely in my world. I wonder, sometimes, if it boils down to expectations. I have high expectations and high standards and they are usually met.

I also get very irritated by the judgemental comments made to belittle vocabulary, spelling, or grammatical errors of others, or by those who feel the strong need to correct someone in front of others on a public forum.

• satine_gw
    9 years ago

Hearing from my oldest daughter only when she needs help transporting the grand daughters to/from activities or having the girls overnight if she and sil are going away. When I try to suggest dinner or something together she is always too busy. Satine

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

I only go to dr for once a yr physical. I registered, then sat in waiting room reading for ~30 minutes (very unusual). Upon realizing how much time had passed waited 5 more minutes, then went up to the reception desk to check. Gal said, let me check with his nurse. She came back & called me up to the desk & said that the nurse had come out into the waiting room, looked for me a HALF HOUR AGO & didn't see me. I said, she doesn't even know me & DID NOT CALL MY NAME! Sorrrry',,,,,the dr has left for the day, do you want to reschedule? NO, I AM TOO AGGREVATED!

Mighty ticked off on that one!

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

Patient's family members who call after a patient has been discharged and you've only had them a couple hours that day. They're extremely rude because you don't know where daddy's medications are. They threaten you and you tell them you're in another patient's room and can't look them up. Not only that but you don't even have that patient's information because you shredded it when you finished with their chart. Do you really think I'm going to go out of my way to help you with you making threats at me while I'm trying to take care of another patient?

Ward clerks who send you these phone calls when they know you're trying to pass meds and assess your patients and you've already told them you don't know and you can't do anything to help that person right now. Take a message and I'll try when I have time...or maybe you could look it up? Which he eventually did because I was still running my butt and he kept trying to talk to me about it, gave him the number and asked him to look it up. The meds were mailed back to his house, which is what the patient was told and he told his daughter this but she was still freaking out and being a total ass.

• seniorgal_gw
    9 years ago

Lately I have been more than ticked off at the new management in our building. Weekly light housekeeping is included with our rent. For years I had a wonderful housekeeper who made the apartment shine in the 45 minutes that was allotted.

Now I have a new young woman who, in my estimation, has never cleaned anything before. Housekeepers are now to do what they are scheduled for and leave. Last week I timed her-18 minutes- to clean a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms.

Rules now are not to move anything to vacuum, not to clean kitchen sink or counters, not to dust. If there is a crumb under a chair it stays there. I find rings in the toilet bowls. I leave my electric toothbrush on the bathroom counter- it is not moved to wipe under it, etc.

Mostly I blame our new management. They are enticing new residents with extras in the apartments and reduction in rent for several months. My rent has gone up, however.

I think they know that older residents can't face the prospect of moving.

When I came here this was a "classy" place but so much has changed in the 8 years I have been here. I am very disappointed, Soon have to hire an outside cleaning person to do what should be done by staff.

G-r-r-r

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

My peeve is people who are late!

• socks
    9 years ago

Litterbugs.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

People who are late all the time - my time is just as valuable as yours and it is egotistical of you to think otherwise.

People who gossip - gossiping has been defined as "The poor man's form of conversation" which essentially means that those who have nothing intelligent to say or who have nothing to contribute to a conversation will gossip under the impression that what they are saying is interesting and intelligent. No, it isn't. I have a MIL and girlfriend who are examples of this.

Adults who think that teenagers are a waste of space and treat them accordingly.

deeby - I get you with the names. We deliberately picked names for our kids that could not be formed into nicknames. Unfortunately, we forgot to take into consideration people's inability to spell or to pronounce. It's interesting how many different ways there are to spell and pronounce the name Sean. Seriously? And the other one is even worse.

• susie53_gw
    9 years ago

People that want to run your life. We have this woman in our church that is so bossy!!! We are working on our yearly bazaar and she wants to run it all. I took things that I had made into the church this morning. I made neat price tags and had them all priced. She didn't like that I had priced them without asking her first. I know what I have in them. I had made three sweatshirts and three ladies bought them this morning. Also, I took 12 cute child's aprons and 6 of them have sold already. I guess I am doing something right!! The whole time she is talking she is moving her hands all around. We, ladies, have wondered if we would tie her hands behind her back if it would shut her up!! It's a though!!

• MM_gw
    9 years ago

Oh this one is easy for me..

People that "put on airs" and feel that they are superior. Doesn't have to be about money either. Could be education, ancestors, vacations..the list is never ending. It's a pain to be around them. ugh!

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

1. telemarketers
    2. losing internet service
    3. people who aren't animal lovers
    4. people without a sense of humor
    5. prices on everything going up, but not our retirement income
    6. the lack of common courtesy to say Thank You
    7. lack of parental control of their children
    8. all of the danged political ads on tv
    8. occasional insomnia

• debo_2006
    9 years ago

People who are obviously texting or talking on their phone while driving. I see so may all over the road because looking at their phone to get that message to the other person or talking to the person is so much more important than looking at the road and getting to their destination safety without harming others.

Family and friend who must check their phones every 10 minutes or answer calls (when they know they are not important) when I am with them. I can understand an occasional check or answer if they are expecting an important call, but, otherwise, it is disrespectful.

Deborah, I have the same issue but they always assume my spelling is "Deborah" but is is "Debra". As for Debbie, I spell is differently, so I'm always correctly that too,

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

The lady in the office down the hall who laughs constantly. I think it's nervous laughter or maybe "I want to be friendly" laughter, but gee whiz. It gets wearing. I just wanna smack her sometimes and tell her, "Just talk! Everything isn't funny!"

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Glenda, many years ago I was upset at the way I was spoken to at my dentist's office.
    I called and spoke directly to the dentist. He took what I said under consideration while also being understanding to the receptionist. (She was frustrated at the health insurance, not me per se.)

She is still working and is always very cordial!

What ticks me off is people not monitoring how loud they are in a public place. I am not interested in what they are saying!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Back to the original post, is "hard to communicate with" a way of saying that she's not a native speaker of English? In my area, that's almost more the rule than an exception.

As with having a name with multiple forms and spellings that causes people to get it wrong, needing to deal with people whose verbal English skills are sub-par is something to accept and move on. It won't change anytime soon.

• jewels_ks
    9 years ago

When I go through a drive thru and I say "thank you' and they say "you're welcome". Drives me insane!!

• angelaid
    9 years ago

"When I go through a drive thru and I say "thank you' and they say "you're welcome". Drives me insane!!"

Seriously?

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Doctors appointments, and waiting forever in your room, when told he will be in in just a few minutes.

Today, I waited 45 minutes, and no one came in to check on me.

Once the doctor came in things went smoothly.

This post was edited by glenda_al on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 18:52

• nanny98
    9 years ago

I believe the proper response to "Thank You" Is, "You are welcome". Did I miss that change?

• amicus
    9 years ago

I'm thinking it's a typo that should read "...and they DON'T say you're welcome."

• Deeby
    9 years ago

It doesn't tick me off but I find "as well" instead of "too" annoying. When did that start? And grey for gray. Queue for line. I don't know why Americans are doing it but it's annoying and silly.

• dorothy_oahu
    9 years ago

People who let their kids run all lover in stores and the worst is high pitched screamers! The parents act like they are deaf or immune to it. I guess because I have hearing aids it is amplified for me. I just cover my ears and pull out my hearing aids as sometimes it is just so PAINFUL for me. It usually startles me when they start and I can't help but just let out an OHhh! as I cover my ears.

The worst was in Target when we stopped to get a drink. There was family in the corner with two little girls. The youngest was under two and she had the most piercing high pitched scream I've ever heard. She wanted her fingers in her mouth and mother was determined to take the fingers out of her mouth. The father took the 4 year old and left while the mother kept at trying to pull the baby's fingers out of her mouth. The father came back in and said, " Let's go!" Everyone was staring at them. I was in agony!

I recently saw Steve Harvey say when a child starts screaming he just stands in front of them and starts looking around at the ceiling and says Wha, what is that? What is that? Where's that coming from? Do you hear that? Wha, what is that? The kid starts to look up at the ceiling to see what he is looking ar and forgets about screaming.

Should I try that of would the parent punch me?

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Doctors who are so hard to understand. Or mumble.
    Mary

• jewels_ks
    9 years ago

Let me explain this a little more. When I go through a drive thru it is just habit for me to say "thank you" to them and I think they should say 'thank you" to me...not "you're welcome". We all have our own things that tick us off and mine just happens to be this.....seriously!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

mine is similar to susie's... people who try to tell you what to do/supervise you. I'll add, but they're so busy telling you what to do, that they do not do what they are supposed to do. Work and driving come to mind. I just think, if you worry about you and I worry about me, it'll all work out perfectly.

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Oh my, I must be getting to be a hard to please old fart!...As I read these, I can relate to just about all of them...I need to lighten up and relax :-)

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Me, to, for quite a few of them, phoggie.

Do you figure that mainly it might be something in the water ... or something we ate that disagrees ...

... to make us so disagreeable?

ole joyful (quite a bit of the time)

• dees_1
    9 years ago

Blfenton, let me tell you about the number of people who mispronounced DEE. So many ways, it is impossible to count.

What really frosts my cupcakes is the people I work with who are "group leaders" (which means they know their job better than the rest of the group) who call me for confirmation on how to do their job. This one guy in particular is ALWAYS needing reassurance. Grow a pair!

That is all....for now.....

• joann_fl
    9 years ago

Repeated advertising & commercials about our elected governors.

• fiveholetarget
    9 years ago

I get ticked off when I make a call to a service center for help, and the person who answers the phone speaks poor English or has a thick accent.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

For awhile our Doctors were not able to choose there nurses, the medical center did. Apparently this has been changed, but our biggest problem is keeping both doctors and nurses. In fact they just had 19 Philippine families brought over to fill the vacancies'. They are great, and there spouses are working in some of the stores and I really like them also. They are very attentive and if they say I will check on it and be back, they really are right back.. There are signs up if you have waited 20 minutes, please check with the desk. As for not being called from the waiting room, I don't wait for them to call me, if they seem to be looking around, I will ask them who they are looking for. I know they are suppose to check the chart, but occasionally they will pick up the wrong chart and are looking for the wrong person. If I have setting in a room very long, I will open the door to the hall way and get there attention. Most of the time it works.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

"I get ticked off when I make a call to a service center for help, and the person who answers the phone speaks poor English or has a thick accent."

Their accent doesn't bother me. Since I'm hearing impaired, whoever they are, they have to be patient with me, and if they are successfully helping me, I certainly try to be patient with them.

• angelaid
    9 years ago

Wow. If someone tells me "thank you" automatic response is "you're welcome". Good thing I don't work at a drive through! LOL

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I just experienced something that really annoys me:

People who pull into a driveway and HONK THEIR HORN for someone to come out! It's being LAZY, RUDE to the people they're picking up, and COMPLETELY INCONSIDERATE to any neighbors in earshot!!! There is a family across the street who does this several times a day and night -- at all hours!!! :( :( :(

This post was edited by party_music50 on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 7:29

• marygailv
    9 years ago

I guess the person at the window is supposed to say "Thank you for your patronage" when they hand over the food and then the customer can say "you're welcome." Saying "you're welcome" just comes automatically after someone says "thank you." (At least it used to)

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Customer Service with UVerse, phone, internet, tv service grrrrrrrrr

• sleeperblues
    9 years ago

I got this comical picture of Jewels at the drive in. Jewels-"Thank you."
    Employee of the drive through-" No, Thank You". Jewels-"No, THANK YOU". Employee of the drive, "No....." Oh, you get the idea, lol. How silly.

• samkaren
    9 years ago

Phonies. Coworkers who won't give you the time of day...let alone say "Good morning" to you BUT when they need my help....they pour on the sugary sweet "would you help me" attitude. I know someone like that.

People who have to be right all the time.

Anyone who drives 10 miles an hour below the speed limit.
    People driving with their turn signals on for miles.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

This ticked me off this past week. I had an appointment with the vein doctor to check my fistula. The tech did the exam and while I was being examined another man came into the room. Did not say who he was or why he was there and they started talking about a blockage and an aynurism. I said are you seeing this in my vein and they both said no we are talking about the patient before you. Well they had me scared to death. Then a nurse also came into the room and gave him a piece of paper and said you can tell me later. What??? Don't come in the room for this when he has a patient. So when it was just me and the tech I said who was that man and he says its a doctor. Then I was put in a room after the tech was finished to wait for a doctor to tell me the results over 30 minutes later she came in and spent maybe 3 minutes with me. Your fine we will see you in 3 months. At the desk on check out I hear my name and the words we have no vitals on Mrs. Mary. So a nurse says I will do it and she told me to sit in the lobby. My blood pressure was high but my temp was normal. I will be talking to the doctor about this. when we got home my husband said they didn't ask for a payment. Well maybe it was free day. I'm sure I will get a bill in the mail.
    Mary

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Typing lol so often, especially over some boring thing that isn't at all funny. "I planted peas today, lol, and took a nap, lol." It's such a turn off I quit reading a post as soon as I see lol.

Sponsored
Patrick Farley Architect
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Central Virginia's Innovative Architectural Design Studio