SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkaren_gw

What Makes you laugh? I mean REALLY laugh

samkaren
9 years ago

for me it is the tv show "Whose Line is it Anyway'. I cry laughing so hard when I watch it.

SamKaren
your resident DJ

Comments (19)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

A baby/infant with the giggles - I find it contageous.

Sometimes those 'blooper' shows. The parts I find especially funny and will laugh out loud are the newscasters making mistakes, then don't realize what they've inadvertently said and repeat the same mistake while on air live.

I'm usually somewhat controlled. But I was going through old photos with a friend one day and we came across one probably taken sometime around 1930ish, of a woman in her MIL's family and without a doubt, this woman looked exactly from the smile to the biceps, like Popeye (the cartoon sailor) in a wedding dress. Not so much her looks (hopefully I'm not that superficial) as the disconnect between the face/body that were clearly not comfortable in a formal lace gown. I don't know why it struck me so funny, was trying to be discreet, began to giggle, when she realized I was trying to stifle laughter we both broke up and laughed till we sobbed. Wet cheeks, makeup gone, nose running laughing.

Inappropriately I should add. She was trying to put together a collage of photos to place on a easel at her MIL's memorial service. It was not a time to be laughing hysterically.

• matti5
    9 years ago

Watching Seinfeld and The Big Bang Theory. I have seen each episode more times than I can ever count, but they still make me laugh.

Watching my cats daily antics. Crazy funny!

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

Totally agree with the sitcoms and comedy show already mentioned! (Except I have to say that the U.S. version of "Whose Line" doesn't make me laugh as hard as the British version, which you might be able to find on YouTube nowadays.)

I also still love "Mad About You" -- the episode called "There's a Puma in the Kitchen," especially, makes me crack up. And some episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond," too.

Something that's not on TV that makes me laugh? My nieces and nephews -- they have great senses of humor. Some should be stand-up comics. (One actually does participate in "sign up and give us your best routine" contests in little NYC venues -- I've not seen him to do those yet, cuz I'm a bit worried about what his subjects and language might be like!)

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

My great niece and nephew, big bang theory, a good joke, Lucille Bally, Bill Cosby to name a few.
    Mary

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I haven't seen "Whose Line..." in a LONG time!!! but yes, it cracks me up... Ryan Stiles is insane/genius!!! Collin Mockrey (sp?) is perfect with him. Loved the British version more but it's been even longer since I've seen that. :p

For other TV shows, it has to be Frazier! OMG..... Niles and Frazier remind me so much of my BF and his brother!!!!

My cats can totally crack me up... like when my little one chases her tail, for example. :O) And one of my best friends always makes me laugh! :)

I'm definitely attracted to intelligent and funny people.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm another who has to smile when a baby gets those hysterical giggles. It's rare that something makes me laugh out loud and it's usually something unexpected in a book or video. Funny pet videos are the most likely culprit. I mentioned on another thread that the movie, Seems Like Old Times, will make me laugh at some point. Charles Grodin's dry reactions juxtaposed with Goldie Hawn's craziness never fail to elicit at least one laugh.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Mor, I am the queen of inappropriate laughter! I'm blessed with a genetic predisposition to easy laughter and seeing humor in all kinds of things.

My husband and I laugh hard at something everyday; I am most attracted to people who tend to be likeminded.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

As Fun2BHere said, it seems that the unexpected makes me laugh, & I think anxiety or stress may have something to do with it...

Years ago, I was to help a friend retrieve her belongings from her old boyfriend's apartment.

He was very intelligent & very volatile, & she didn't want to go by herself.

She drove her little car, & I drove my little car, across town very early in the morning, got to the apartment, boyfriend was polite.

We started carrying boxes out to the cars, & she opened her trunk & found...
    that it was stuffed to the max with the plastic kitty litter buckets that she'd put in there to take to the re-cycling place.

We stood there like lummoxes for one split second & burst out laughing.

I also have had trouble at weddings & at at least one memorial service (maybe solemnity has something to do with laughing out loud?).

When I got married, several generations ago, my intended & I stood before the congregation &, although we managed to not laugh out loud, we shook with the effort & we didn't dare look at each other!

the memorial service:

The officiant never had met the deceased, a lovely, independent, fiesty, plain-spoken woman.

At some point he said, "She just wanted to be God's obedient daughter."

& the woman next to me whispered, "She did *not*!"

Both of us nearly cracked up.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

My cat playing....soooooooooooooooo cute!

He'll do a a tumble and throw his whole body on top of the feather on a stick I'm pulling to be sure and "get it".....then do a victory walk strutting towards his food dish, carrying it out the side of his mouth....

• blfenton
    9 years ago

First reaction was The BIg Bang Theory. That show is hilarious. It is the only sit-com I watch. I did watch Frazier when it was on because it was funny. But The Big Bang Theory is laugh-out loud funny.

We used to watch Whose line is it Anyway when Drew Carey was the host with Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles and Wayne Brady. What really made my laugh was watching my kids laugh as they watched the antics of these talented comedians.

I remember years ago we were holidaying on the Oregon Coast. We were staying in this little town right on the ocean and it was beautiful outside. There was a Whose line is it Anyway weekend marathon on that weekend and yep - we stayed inside and watch the marathon. (We were there for a week so we still did go outside) :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

We both will bust out laughing at things we find funny. Especially the antics of animals. Back when we had several Great Danes we were laughing a lot. Our little dog now will also perform some act to get us going. Quite often at tv shows too.

I don't even remember what the conversation was or what we were watching but I made the comment quel grimace! Because someone was making a face.(imagine a baby tasting a lemon for the first time)
    My husband looked at me for a second and said did you just say Pale Green Moss??

To this day if he looks at me and says Pale green moss I just bust out laughing. The original time it happened I literally was on the floor laughing with tears.

I will occasionally start saying things in Cajun French like that and he does not know the language so he just looks at me waiting for the English version LOL. By now though he has learned a few of my choice phrases including quel grimace!

• socks
    9 years ago

Yes, Big Bang makes me laugh. They deliver their lines so naturally.

I tend to laugh at real life situations and rarely find comedians or comedies funny at all. My grandchildren say things which make me laugh. I bet every grandma here would say that too.

• justlinda
    9 years ago

To this day, Mary Tyler Moore's "Chuckles The Clown's Funeral" brings me down to the ground, rolling on the floor, (well not really, but figuratively) laughing out loud, tears streaming down my face, gasping for air. Even while posting the link below, here I am chuckling and on the verge of.....well.....you know!!!

Edited to add that this originally aired in October 1975.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chuckles The Clown's Funeral

This post was edited by justlinda on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 17:15

• phoggie
    9 years ago

The oldies.....Lucy...The Golden Girls...Etc.

• pam_25f
    9 years ago

I was thinking about Chuckles also.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Some of the topics on G-W.

• socks
    9 years ago

I visit Ravelry, a knitting/crocheting site. There is a thread there where people post their ugliest work, usually with some humorous words of explanation. It's pretty funny.

Mary Tyler Moore clip was good too, Justlinda.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Oh some of the Bill Dance fishing bloopers. Some bring tears to my eyes.
    This is one of my favorite ones. But really if you want a good laugh go to you tube and search for Bill Dance bloopers or Google it. There's a lot of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Dance bloopers

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

The young priest at my deceased aunts funeral. He had never met her. Her name was a strange to people who did not know her. I thought it was pretty. I was the only family member there besides my husband. So when the priest began talking about my beloved aunt and he kept calling her Theresa, we began to think we were at the wrong funeral. I started to giggle and then my husband did too. Her name was Thursa. I know that Aunt Thursa would have been mortified, So when we got to the grave site I stepped over to the priest and mentioned to him that he was mispronouncing her first name and could he correct it. He was so embarrassed and I told him my beloved aunt would forgive him and then I saw a tiny smile.
    Mary