Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you a better recipe than this one?

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 22:34

Potluck lunch, our monthly, is this coming Monday, and I so love sausage and wild rice.

This is the one I'm thinking about preparing:

Sausage & Wild Rice Casserole

one 6 oz. box long-grain & wild rice
1 lb. ground sausage
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
one 4 oz. can mushroom pieces
one can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 tblsp. butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350�. Cook rice according to directions on the box. In a skillet over medium heat, crumble the sausage and cook with the chopped onion until completely done. Combine all the ingredients except the butter. Pour into a casserole dish. Dot the top of the casserole with butter or margarine. Bake until bubbly and golden on top, about 30 minutes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you a better recipe than this one?

Sounds delish Glenda... to bad, I live so far away. :)

Moni

o

Instead of using the COM soup, just saute fresh diced mushrooms in butter, stir some flour right into them, and gradually add milk or cream. It looks EXACTLY like the condensed cream of mushroom soup, but tasted ever so much better

o

I can't improve on what you have!

I can suggest a substitution that'll shift the flavor. Instead of sausage, use fresh ground beef. Prep the beef by browning with diced onions (or onion flakes) and black pepper. You can add diced carrots or other diced vegtable if desired.

I do not think this is better than your original recipe; It only ofers a different taste.

o

I agree with sushipup; homemade sauce is much better than condensed soup! mmmmm....other than that, your recipe sounds delish!

o

Another vote for not using the canned soup. White sauce is so easy, and tastes SO much better freshly made than old soup in a can.

I've actually been on a compaign with my column to get people to make their own, rather than resorting to canned soup. IMO, every child should be taught how to make white sauce by age 8--and I'm doing my best to teach as many (and their parents) as I can--LOL!!!

o

so approx. how much flour and milk should be added to the mushrooms? Is it just like making creamed chipped beef/dried beef gravy, you just add til it looks good? When I make that I end up with a lot of gravy/creamy sauce.

Can you use corn starch or does that not give the same taste?

This sounds like a yummy, fall casserole, mmmmm.

o

I agree, ditch the canned soup. Make a creamy sauce like you would for sausage gravy!

I 'd use smoked sausage for this dish rather than bulk sausage....and add some sweet onion. But I do love sausage gravy!

o

Katlan, the same as adding milk for chipped beef, add enough milk until it looks good. I always keep the milk handy because when I am trying to make 2 cups of white sauce it morphs into 4 cups as it thickens. Another thing I was taught is to cook the flour and butter for a while so that it "cooks" the flour , that way it will cook the flour taste out of the gravy.

o

Yes I do! It's not creamy but the rice is restaurant fluffy. lol.

The pan I cook it in is the size just under a 9x13. You can fix this for yourself and see if you like it. It's excellent leftover and microwaved.

Sausage Rice Casserole

1 lb. browned, crumbled and drained sausage

1 heaping c. Uncle Ben's regular rice (the long cooking rice)

1 c. thinly sliced carrots

1 can Chicken Broth

1/4 c. water

Chopped onions is optional, I don't use those.

In casserole dish, spray Pam. Layer rice then carrots. Pour can of broth on top. Pour on water. Sprinkle sausage on top.

Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Take out of oven and stir. Cover and bake for an additional 30 min.

The first potluck I took this to, I received a lot of recipe requests!

o

I've been making this one for brunches for many years. found the recipe in Southern Living Magazine. I always have requests for the recipe.

1 (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms (or use jarred or canned, if using don't cook along with onions)
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (2.25-ounce) package sliced natural almonds (1/2 cup)

Preparation

Cook rice mix according to package directions.

Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Combine rice, sausage and beef, onion and mushrooms, water chestnuts, parsley, and soy sauce; stir well. Spoon mixture into an ungreased 13" x 9" baking dish. Cover and chill casserole overnight.

Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350� for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Note: You don't have to refrigerate the casserole overnight. Just spoon it into the baking dish and bake, uncovered, at 350� for 20 minutes or until heated.

o

Not only is the sauce better than the soup, but the mushrooms are REALLY better. The canned mushrooms remind me of little pieces of rubber, like pencil erasers. Use about 8 oz of fresh mushrooms, diced, or even just sliced. Sliced will look prettier in the dish, and taste yummy.

o

I agree, fresh mushrooms and make your own sauce.

Katlan, you wouldn't want to use corn starch in a recipe like this. I love corn starch for some gravies and thickening pies, but flour is better when making white sauce and will hold up better.

o

I like Oakleyok's or maddielee's recipes best since I am not fond of creamy or saucy rice.

Both are entirely different but I love the basic flavors in the former and I like the Asian influence in the latter.

o

I've made a casserole that's pretty much like this, (without the COMS) that also has some shrimp in it along with the bulk sausage. I'd add a bit of sherry or white wine to whatever sauce you use. Brown the shrimp a bit before adding and baking.

Nancy

o

It sounds good, but I agree about the soup. I was also thinking along the lines of maxmom about adding a splash or two of sherry. I always put a little in my creamy chicken or shrimp dishes but I've never tried it with sausage. Let us know how you made it and how you liked it. I just love wild rice!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here