Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do You Burn Leaves?

Posted by samkaren (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 22:20

DH and I raked up our backyard today and started a bonfire to burn the leaves. I LOVE that smell from them. My family used to do it when I was little. Guess it's one good thing about living out in the country.

Do you burn your leaves?

SamKaren
your resident DJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do You Burn Leaves?

Definitely not--it's illegal here.

If there aren't too many, I leaf-blow them into one area, and run over them with the muching mower. Or we fire up the chipper and toss them in there. In a pinch, we blow them out to the side street, and the town picks them up, takes them to a location where they're turned into mulch, and you can go and get what you want there, for free.

Used to love the smell of burning leaves when I was a kid, but with the danger of fire, the high concentration of people in this area, as well as the historic Pine Barrens--it's probably best that we don't do that any more.

o

We can not burn them either but we really do not get many~I never would rake them anyway~~I do not do yard work or heavy lifting that is the main reason I got married;)

o

Nope - Illegal in our town.

o

Hell, no! That's good compost!

Also, being here in Central Texas, we are almost always under a burn ban at this time of year. It's just too dry to allow anyone to burn. A wildfire is just a spark away.

o

Under a burn ban order here in ND and if fact they just lost a small town with fire. Not many people live there, but still lost with no people hurt. I would compost, but since DH and I cannot do much yard work, depends on SIL and he just puts them in the dumpster in bags.

o

Larry mows them over....

o

No, it is illegal to burn them... plus it would be a waste of good compost material!

o

Gosh, I think it such a terrible waste today....I don't even consider it a 'good thing' about country living. But sure have nice memories of that smell wafting through the neighborhood when I was young.

Fall leaves are considered a valuable commodity by many gardeners, to the point of driving around and collecting other people's leaves from the side of the road.

o

Burning is illegal here, too, but I don't have any fallen leaves. All my foliage is evergreen.

o

Illegal here too...

o

No, not leaf piles. We do bonfires though. It's more about falling branches and trees around here. We have burning prohibitions also but I admit that I don't pay any attention to them.

o

No, I compost the leaves......better for my garden and better for the environment.

o

No it is illegal here as well it should be but there's always some jerk that feels the need to break the law. When you live in a highly populated area with elderly on oxygen and so many with asthma it is extremely rude and irresponsible. I call the fire department and pollution control any time I smell, or see it.
Which means I have to close down my house completely and get my inhaler in hand.
I really don't understand why anyone would do things like that in this kind of area. Nothing about my yard and house filling up with smoke from some other person's illegal activity is pleasant.
Please consider those who have breathing conditions around you, imagine it was your child struggling to breathe. Smoke travels a long way and for some it only takes a little.
Two of my nearby neighbors have undergone lung transplants and are elderly. I will sure do what I can to help them breathe easier too.

o

It's illegal here, too. My hubby rakes them up and we recycle them as green waste. I think they make mulch out of them but we have quite a bit of outdoor space and last year we got maybe 20 cans (64 gallon size) full of leaves and grass clippings, so I'd like to learn how to make mulch out of them. Gonna have to research that....

o

No, I am sure that it is illegal here. We can have terrible fires from a burning ember. But I do remember burning them when I was a kid. We lived in a state that did not have the fire dangers that the Southwest does, and the garbage company did not want to pick up leaves, so everyone burned their leaves at the curb. The street was brick, so no harm done. I think the asphalt would melt somewhat from a good fire.

o

Absolutely not. It's illegal, but I never have before it was. My father used to burn though. I put mine in the compost pile. I have to put some in the street to be vacuumed up because we have so many trees , we can't use them all, but the town takes them to compost.

o

I mulch most of my leaves in place with a lawn mower. The reaminder are raked to curbside where the village vacuum sucker will pick up. They run the pickup for about a month.

My problem: I've got a stubborn maple that won't drop its leaves like an ordinary tree but hangs on to them to almost Thanksgiving. It takes a hard freeze and wind to strip the tree. Some years, I'm out in spitting snow raking leaves. By that time, the village pickup has ended and I'm stuck with the leaves.

o

Illegal here as well . I just mow them over , they make great compost and mulch for the lawn over the winter.

o

I find burning leaves very very rude. Our neighbors did it all day yesterday. It was unusually warm here and I had the windows open; for a short time.

Quite frankly, if I wanted to smell like a camp fire, I'd go camping. It actually started giving me a headache; this went for well over 8 hrs. Hate to sound like a crabby old lady, but it was coming right straight at my house all day. :(

o

We mow over leaves till they are tiny pieces, good for the soil.

o

I miss that smell from when I lived in the northeast. Smells great on a cool fall day!

o

I usually just mow them to mulch them.

I used to burn them when I had a fence that collected them in big piles.

I do burn my trash though. I recycle most of it, but there is some that I burn.

o

No, also illegal here. I used to love the smell but it is terribly polluting, a health threat and a waste of good humus. There is nothing quite so wonderful as that good black humus that comes from composted leaves. Around here we can put the leaves in big bags and the township will pick them up.

o

Can't to it here, either. Don't know if it's illegal or just because of a burn ban, but I sure miss those days when all the neighbors raked the leaves to the curb and burned them. People had to be careful of parking at this time of year or their cars would be without tires LOL!

Wish I could come and smell--I'd even help rake :-) To me, that's as much as a tradition as trick or treating or pumpkin pie.

o

It isn't illegal to burn here. We don't have big enough trees to have a problem with leaves. Usually they all blow away. I'd probably compost them if I had a problem with them. I do like the smell of burning leaves in the fall.

o

I mow over mine. My neighbor burns his - my grandson, who lives with me, has a breathing disorder, so had to ask him to stop over the weekend - our house was filled with smoke, and DGS was having problems breathing - he stopped.

o

I don't burn them or rake them. I let them lay where they fall.

o

Not allowed here. Usually I mow them a few times and let them break down over the winter. This year it didn't happen for a couple reasons. I'm hoping for some more wind to take care of them "naturally".

o

I live on a hill & with it being so windy most of the time, the leaves just blow away "like magic"!!

o

Not illegal where we live, but we compost them.
Burning is pollution.

o

I personally don't, in fact I shredded six bags of them this morning for mulch.In town I don't think people are allowed to burn anymore, but neighbors here in the country do. I love the smell too. It reminds me of Trick or Treat night when I was a kid.

o

Well this year there's no burning. We mulch ours with the lawn mower. We really don't get that many that it can't be taken care of with a lawn mower. But I love the smell. In this area, we tend to burn in the spring and not the fall. In fact the fire department does controlled burns here in the spring. For some reason, I don't love that spell as much in the spring as I do in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here