Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craigs List Scammers

Posted by poohbear2767 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 20:13

I posted a couple of vehicles for sale on Craig's List.
So far the only replies I have gotten are scammers

This is the last email I got (so far):
----------------------------------------
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Hello,

Do you still have the item for sale and in good condition?
Please do let me know.

Thanks.

Original post:
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/3310366714.html
If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now:
http://craigslist.org/flag/20121007210541UF-mwMIQ4hG8JuzmXtp8oQ
--------------------------------------------------

This was my reply:
---------------------
Yes, they are still available.

The green one is drivable. neither one is worth
what I'm asking for it but I just can't go any lower.
That is as low as I can go on it. Both for $1700.

I'll even tell you everything wrong with them.

The red one won't start. I let it set without starting it
and now the fuel system is gummed up. It will start
by spraying fuel directly into the air intake. Needs a battery.
The red one would be great for parting out.

The green one needs tires. The fuel guage doesn't work.
You have to keep a close watch on oil, transmission fluid,
and on radiator coolant. I think it needs a heater core. I had
a new A/C system put in it but the freon has leaked out.
Only the driver's side window works (electric). The other
windows all need new window motors. The inside looks
a little rough but the outside looks OK. (see pictures)
Still, it might get you from point A to point B.

-------------------------------------------------

I wonder if I'll get a response. If I do, I'll post it.

Pooh Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craigs List Scammers

Pooh, I got lucky! I just deleted my post with the dinning room table and chairs. I got what I wanted, in cash!

Only one spammer emailed, and I just delete him.

Moni

o

I've had about 8 scammers email me so far.
I'm waiting to see if this one replies back.

Pooh Bear

o

when I was checking craigslist for used RVs I emailed one person that had a great sounding deal and it said it was local. Well I got this reply that said she was in the military was about to go over seas but the RV was all packed up and ready to ship, all I needed to do was send the money and she would have it shipped right to me and then if I decided I was not happy she would pay to ship it back and send my money back.It was supposedly in Arizona where she lived.
Yes sure and that email went right straight into the trash bin of my email account I use just for this kind of stuff.
Who on Earth would actually fall for that?
Then I decided to do a search for the RV on the web on google and it showed up in craigslist all over the US and on several other RV sale sites LOL

o

Raven, I got that same email when I responded to a CL ad, while looking for a small truck - ya, right - I'll get that money right in the mail - NOT!

o

No doubt, you have to use common sense and tweak up the suspicion when using CL but isn't it about as useful a free service as could be hoped for? I've picked up a couple of things and sold a few things through CL but in every case there was no shortage of trash responses.

I get a little irritated with the usual media blitz I see focusing on a craigslist encounter that has gone awry. They have a vested interest in slandering that website. CL is free and that's a loss of income to the local media. I will take the free "risk" if you please, thanks!

o

PoohBear, that advise (the last email) is sent from Craiglist as a warning to anyone that list a sell. I get one each time I list something so I'd be awared of some scams outhere. Fortunaetly so far, I got serious buyers and no scam.

Never wire any money to anyone. No matter how good is sounds.

o

I have had really good luck with craigslist over all. I have hired several trade workers from there who were amazing. I hired a lady that had just left the military and couldn't find a job when I was preparing my house in Dallas to sell and move here. She was a life saver. She packed boxes, moved furniture around, cleaned, anything I needed she was willing to do. Plus I gave her a ton of really good stuff I didn't want to have to move. I told her to have a yard sale and make some extra money. She was so surprised I would do that for her. She made several hundred dollars and tried to give me some of it, no way. Heck she had been overseas in a hostile land protecting us, I wish I could have done more. I did write her a great letter of recommendation.

I also got one of my favorite house cleaners from there.

I haven't bought much but what I did buy was all good.

It really is a crying shame the con artist and scammers try to ruin everything.

o

I must be missing something. I don't see anything in the email (the reply you go) that indicated it's a scammer or even hints at it. The person is asking if the items is still available.

Am I being dense and just not seeing what you're seeing?

Suzieque

o

Suzie, it was a completely generic query, mentioned "item" when there were two cars.

You may need to fine-tune your BS detectors.

o

I use Craigslist but only for FREE stuff people are giving away or if I have decent things I want to get rid of, like an Ikea desk (still in the package) that my daughter never put together. I would never, ever buy or sell anything on CL. Too dangerous. I might get scammed or killed.

o

Well, I've found that often there are people for whom English isn't their first language or people who perhaps aren't ... well (no insult intended), the best educated, and their writing (typing) comes across that way. Perhaps they were only interested in one of the cars and they just don't communicate well.

In any case, you may be right. But I probably would've responded more politely and given the benefit of the doubt, saying something like "Which of the 2 items are you interested in?", and see if/what they respond. I would need more info than that simple email to decide that they were scammers vs legitimate.

If, as you say, the only responses you've gotten were from scammers, perhaps either you have to adjust your BS detectors to be less suspicious or else revisit how you wrote your ad.

Good luck. I hope you sell them.

o

Suzieque,

That reply is only the 1st step of the scam. Then they go on with it and the last step costs you money.

o

I love Craig's LIst. I have bought and sold items on Craig's List and have only had one person try the scam thing and that was on a boat we were selling. Even selling the camper I didn't get and scams. I have been very pleased with CL. I would NEVER deal with someone who would not meet me in person and I alway pay/get paid in cash.

o

We've had nothing but scammers when we tried to list on CL. I wonder if it depends on where you live?

o

I got my beautiful dining room hutch from Craigslist, it was at Christmas time, I found it and decided I would get it as a present for both of us, the guy was incredibly nice. I asked him if he could possibly deliver it for me. He said sure but could it be the day after Christmas, absolutely no problem. Well that day it was raining and he called to say he didn't want to risk it getting wet, we agreed. The first day of no rain he called and said he was on the way.
Well turned out the thing was too big for both the top and bottom sections to fit in his own truck so he and his father both drove their trucks over here from the other side of Houston, and not only delivered it but un wrapped it (to protect during the trip) set it up and asked me for a towel and some furniture polish, and they proceeded to give it a good cleaning up and windexed the glass!
I kept telling them they didn't need to do that but they insisted.
I was delighted with the whole deal plus the price was great. He was so apologetic for not getting it to me for Christmas, and he had a big red bow he put on it. The bow is still on it, I appreciated that so much.
He refused additional money for delivery.
Some of the nicest people!

He had bought the hutch as a surprise for his wife at the new house and she didn't like it! Well I sure do! Brand spanking new.

o

My post was meant to be funny. :o)

I still haven't heard back from them. Probably won't.

I figure anyone seriously interested would call the phone number listed and talk to me directly. Or at least ask better questions (more pictures, condition, why am I selling, etc.) Yes, the grammar and spelling give it away as a scam. I'm well aware of the scammers and their methods. Cash is the only thing that counts in this transaction.

Pooh Bear.

o

Ok. You didn't say you'd posted a phone number.

If I ever suspect a scam, I just don't respond. I don't want to engage. I hope that this doesn't come back to bite you.

o

I can't believe it!!! I got a reply!!!
----------------------------------------
Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying from
you so please kindly withdraw the advert from C.LIST. Please be
informed that i will be paying with a certified check from my Bank it
will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need
you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the
mailing of the check...

Name to be on the payment...........
Home address...........
City..............
State...........
Zip Code..............
Cell phone #................

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your
money I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will
be delivered within 2-3 working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone
# and will receive your calls via email **
N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.
Thanks
God bles

o

So I'm assuming this is a scam so what is the scam? Certified checks ring of scam to me. I'm just so suspicious. If someone wanted MY CARS I'd assume they'd come get them and bring me cash.

BTW Certified Checks are no more secure than if they write a personal check...just so you know.

o

Ah, the classic Craigslist scammer response. I forget how the Certified Check thing works, but that's what they do.

I've received a couple of these, but no big deal.....I still like Craigslist. I've bought and sold numerous items that way. In fact, I sold something just last week.

o

They will offer to send you a certified check for more than the asking price and ask you to cash it and send the extra money back. They hope you do before the bank notifies you that the certified check is a fake. From your banks standpoint you are responsible for the money from the fake check.

Pooh Bear

o

Here's the warning from CL, boldly posted in the 'cars/trucks'section:

How to recognize a vehicle scam attempt on CL:

Shipping a vehicle to you is suggested by seller
eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
Payment by Western Union or a money wire is requested
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)
If you see these tell-tale signs, flag ad as "prohibited" and avoid

Offers to ship a vehicle are virtually 100% fraudulent

eBay has no involvment in craigslist for sale ads, and any eBay or similar emails or web pages you receive are fake

Never use Western Union or wire transfer to pay for goods - only a scammer will ask for this, and any funds sent will be lost

Do not buy vehicles sight-unseen, regardless of low price. The vehicle does not exist, and any money you send will be lost.

Stories about divorcees or departing servicemen needing to sell quickly at a low price are generally fraudulent

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

More information is available for avoiding scams

o

The scam where they tell you to cash the check and give them the extra money back is the one I'm familiar with. This is the one they used on us. It's crazy but people really do fall for this more often than you'd think! Mostly I believe it's because many people are still under the impression that a certified check (etc) is as good as cash. This used to be how it was...if someone gave you a certified check or money order, it was like cash. This is no longer the case at all.

o

I'm wondering why on earth you would tell a potential buyer "neither one is worth what I'm asking for ..."

o

because they had already recognized it as a scammer( NOT a legitimate potential buyer) and wanted to see if the scammer would still reply wanting to buy which as you can see they did. These scammers all use the same technique it becomes very easy to spot.

o

I love Craigslist!!!! I just purchased a Tony Little Gazelle,like new condition for $20! I love it! It's great fun!

I listed my Nordic Trac for $20....I only paid $10 for it and I've had NO responses...I may just list it as a curb alert ....why not! :0)

Sounds like you sold some stuff....:0)

o

We moved out of the USA last yr and sold our Toyota Camry on Craigslist and YEPPERS--scammers after scammers!!! I did sell it to a CL buyer--it was one that had a military email addy, so I knew it was valid!!

o

I know someone who put their $32,000 motorcycle trike on CL. They fell for the "send me $1,000 for something & I'll buy your trike". Oh, my were they upset & kicking themselves!! Lesson learned!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here