Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back Button

Posted by sjerin (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 20:09

For some reason the back button on my computer (mac) is occasionally not working and I have to close the window. Any ideas on why this has happened and what to do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back Button

I don't have a Mac and it's happening to me too.

o

Me too occasionally, I'm using IE10, Windows 7 fully updated.

Annoying. It's not all the time, and part of the time when it happens I find if I advance within that same site (like check feedback for the Ebay seller of the auction I might be viewing, or click and advance to one of the 'others who bought this product have also bought....' on Amazon, then it will function and back up like it's supposed to. One step forward, two steps back, literally.

o

mine is messed up too

o

I just read this on keystrokes for beginners

7. Backspace to reverse one page in your web browser

Instead of clicking the 'back' button on your screen, try using your keyboard backspace key instead. As long as you are focused on the page and not the address bar, backspace will reverse you one web page into the past.

Related: Safari web browser also uses CTRL-(Left Arrow) to reverse one page

o

YaY! That worked rosepetal2....sometimes refreshing the page helps too.

o

Back spacing seems to be a universal problem right now as I have been having trouble, too. Thanks for the advice on the back space key. I just gave it a try and it worked! Not that I doubted your word.

o

I was having trouble on GardenWeb, but it's because ad.doubleclick was loading a billion times and causing a conflict. I changed a setting on my Adobe flash and it quit happening. Hope it wasn't that for some?

o

Sometimes turning the computer off and back on will solve a problem.

o

I've been having that problem too and thought it was my old computer! It's so annoying, isn't it? I'll try the backspace method.

o

You are obviously not alone, and neither am I! It's not just at GardenWeb either. I have problems elsewhere also. I'll try to remember the backspace key next time. Will it work on multiple back pages? I am also on Knitting Paradise, which sometimes has 1-25 or more pages to a thread.

Tami

o

Well, what a surprise! I flew to Portland today and was handling Halloween and packing last night so I'm just now seeing this. What a good idea, Rosepetal! Now for my dumb question: By "backspace," do you mean the 'delete' button? It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

o
RE: Back Buttonx

NOT the delete button!! The backspace button that you push if you misspell a word and need to change a letter. Just below F11 and F12 on my keyboard

Glad to help out

o

Cripes....the back button didn't work for me on a page last night. Tried the backspace and it didn't work either. Geeeeez! So, I refreshed the page and that worked. Sometimes, nothing works. Here, I just scroll down to "Return to the Kitchen Table forum". Other times, I've had to close a page and then return.

o

I use the Backspace button on every site, every time. I don't bother going to the top to click the back arrow.

Going to the bottom of this, or any page, I use the End button, back to the top, use the Home button.

Another way of going back or forward is to use Alt and the left arrow, to go forward to the next page, use Alt and the right arrow.

o

Thanks for the great tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here