Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomorrow I am having surgery to repair my foot

Posted by linda_in_iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 20:02

Thursday I turned my ankle while going down some stairs and I broke a bone in my foot. Tomorrow my podiatrist will do surgery and place a plate in my foot to hold the bones together. Right now I am in a walking boot.
The only thing I can't do is laundry because my laundry is in the basement. I called a friend yesterday to come get some towels that I needed washed. I will be in the boot for 6 weeks and don't want to ask friends to do my laundry for me all that time. All my adult life no one but me has done my laundry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomorrow I am having surgery to repair my foot

Sorry about yourr foot. I totally understand about the laundry. Good luck.

o

Hope things go well for you!

o

DD(15) was watching a new show called Extreme Cheapskates and the person took showers with his clothes on to save on laundry expense!!

o

I will be praying for successful surgery and quick recovery for you.....

Carolyn

o

Gosh, I hope you can let your laundry 'pile up' fir a bit. We (DH and I) can manage to postpone our laundry for several days when we are not puttering in the garden or doing dirty stuff. Sending healing thoughts so the your 'down' time will go quickly, and successful surgery!.

o

Sending you prayers for swift healing!

o

Sending special thoughts and prayers your way. I know what a pain that can be, and hope you can get away with the boot, rather than a cast. Let us know how you are doing. Hugs!

o

I hope the surgery goes well and the healing quickly. Has he told you you cannot do stairs for the 6 weeks? Does the 'doing laundry' include carrying it up and down yourself or do you have someone who could do that much later on?

I wish I was close enough to help, I could do exactly what I did with my sister in law and her basement laundry room. 'Sit down. Tell me precisely what you would do with the clothes yourself, which sorting, temperatures, what hangs to dry and doesn't go into the dryer, and I will follow your directions to the letter and not do it my way' ;) She sat down.

o

Send it out? I know what how you feel laundry is my favorite thing to do~~~it is relaxing~~~

o

Linda, I wish you a speedy recovery! Don't worry to much about your laundry. Or, at least, not till you are all out of clean stuff. :)

By then, you most likely can scoot up and down them stairs on your butt. :)

Moni

o

Dear Linda, it would be an honor for your friends to come over, spend some time with you, and do a few loads of laundry. Think how you would feel if a friend of yours was in the same predicament! Remember, it's a privilege to be able to provide some help! Order in some lunch, have someone over to run up and down stairs for you, and share some time together.

Years ago, I had three consecutive operations on my knee and was pretty seriously handicapped for a while. I was so glad to have some helping hands when I needed it most, but it wasn't long before I learned how to compensate on my own for many tasks. You will, too.

I wish you a speedy recovery...please keep us informed.

Dorie

o

Could I just add to what Rhizo said?

I had hip surgery 10 years ago and I turned into a control freak like you wouldn't believe, even I didn't know I had it in me :) I pre-planned down to a gnats a**, from stamps, thank you notes, books, foods I'd made and frozen, completely spotless house and house was stocked full of anything I could think of.

I had lots of offers and other than one SIL who stopped by with a latte each morning after her gym, I declined them all and was on my own until DH got home each night.

Looking back, I realized it would have been a lot more generous on my part to accept some help, people who cared about me would have liked the opportunity to do something, anything. Another effect my behavior had, when things arose where they later could have used a hand, they didn't feel free to call me after my flaming show of independence. Live and learn.

o

Linda I hope it heals quickly, Good thoughts to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here