Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sausage and Apple Pie in a cheddar crust

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 19:43

This is the next meat pie recipe I'm going to try. I bought the ingredients today. My aunt and one of my friends say it doesn't sound very good to them, but I'm reminded of a turkey stuffing with similar ingredients(w/o the cheese)? Anyhow I'll let you know how it turns out, and probably post a pic. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sausage and Apple Pie in a cheddar crust

I've made a sausage and apple pie before and I loved it.
Mine was with maple sausage, canned apple pie filling and topped with cheddar cheese in a pie crust. I add a dash or two of nutmeg.

Yours being in a double crust will be better, cause mine was in a single crust and didn't hold together very well.

Second time I made it was without the crust. More like a sausage and apple casserole.

Your recipe sounds very good.

o

Never thought about using canned apple pie filling. If it turns out well, I may do that in the future.

o

Ok. Made the pie today. Had a problem with rolling out the crust to fit the pie pan. Next time, I think I'll either double the crust recipe or adjust it a little to make extra.
I ended up laying the top crust over the filling, then tucking the edges under all the way around on the inside.
Would use less apples too. But, it does have a good flavor and I bet it will taste even better reheated tomorrow.

o

mmmm...sounds good to me! But I would buy the crust. lol

o

I've used this recipe twice and second time I tweeted the recipe.

Sausage apple pie

1 pound ground pork sausage **first time I used maple sausage **second time I used sage and liked it better

1 (15.25 ounce) apple pie filling

****My tweet was to add nutmeg to taste but if you prefer cinnamon

1 (9 inch)unbaked pie crust

1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Cheddar cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and combine with apple pie filling. Transfer to pie crust and top with cheese.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

It didn't hold together well in the pie shell, and second time I eliminated the pasty and served it as a casserole. I liked it much better.

o

I would think fresh apples would taste better and not have all that saucey stuff in it. But I'll pass, at almost 500 calories for a tenth of a pie.. lol. yikes!

o
RE: Sabbbusage and Apple Pie in a cheddar crust

It was a good one to take to potluck, Kat :o) Ladies take a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so they can sample all the goodies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here