Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peeling Rutabaga/Turnip

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 19:36

How do you peel yours? Do you put it in the microwave to soften it first, or just take a knife to it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peeling Rutabaga/Turnip

I use my carrot peeler to peel it- call DH to halve it so I don't cut my hand off; I can handle it from there, lol.

o

I also usually use my peeler to do it but sometimes I use a paring knife, if my hands are bad then I call my husband to do it LOL

o

Turnips I roast in their jackets or blanche to make removing them easy. Rutabagas I use a veggie peeler if I am making them....hubby hates them tho so haven't made them for years.

o

Ok, now what's the difference between the two?
The things that I bought are round, kind of brownish-purplish with the waxy skin.

I'm making a turnip puff for Thanksgiving.

o

If it has purple on it, it is a turnip. I just get the wax off it. I usually don't peel veggies like turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc. I was always taught that the nutrients are in the skins.

o

Jasdip, I can't have a turkey without turnip puff! Even people who say they don't like turnip ask for the recipe. I guess it is called rutabaga now but when I was growing we knew the brownish purple things were called turnips. Yummy! I usually slice them in thick slices and then peel them, only reason being that my mother did it that way.

o

Took the wimpy way out....first they are too costly if you buy them and don't use them right away, some days they are way too hard to peel and shrivel up like apple dolls no matter where you try to store them. They used to last well over two weeks in the crisper but then I think they might have had a waxed finish. Now the frozen section and the fresh at the grocery store has it all peeled and cut like french fries or chuncks for less than 2 dollars a bag. It is not that big but I don't end up throwing it out every time I buy one. Great for soups, stews or even a veggie tray as some people love it raw. I like to mash it with carrots. If I buy one I have to plan on using it right away I use the veggie peeler too. It is easier if someone can half it. I have also bought mini carrots along with turnip this way and toss both in the freezer as is. If I plan to cook it we have no problems with texture. Nothing worse than turnip/rutabaga with long green tops and wrinkled to pieces and carrots that are hairy!!!! three days after purchase.

o

Rutabagas (also known as swedes, at least in England) are yellow to orange. They are sweeter than white turnips. The peel may be tinged with purple on one end.

Turnips are white inside with a purplish skin. Less sweet flavor, a bit "earthier".

I prefer rutabagas.

I use a vegetable peeler on both.

o

Thanks guys!
Rutabagas are what we've always eaten, but call them turnips. I know I've never eaten a white turnip.

Mom's made turnip puff for years and we much prefer that over regular cooked. I'm making the puff for this weekend.

This is our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!

o

My older sister loved rutabagas, and so we had them often when I was a child. I have never been interested in cooking them though. I do put turnips in soups and stews, and I use the potato peeler to peel them. They taste good raw too in a dip.

o

Rutabagas are usually bigger, with yellow flesh and are tougher. Turnips are rounder and usually have white flesh. I really love turnips but not so hot on the rutabagas.

o

I cut rutabagas in quarters and then peel with a paring knife. Don't think I've ever had a turnip.

o

No turnip or rutabaga puff on our thanksgiving menu, but definately turnip "whip"! Start off chopping (usually with my cleaver)a medium turnip in quarters, peeling with a paring knife, dice into quarter (or $1 loonie for Canadians LOL)sized pieces, cover with water, add salt if you wish, boil til 1/2 done, add 3 large carrots cut into chunks, finish cooking both til fork tender. Drain, add a chunk of butter, pepper, salt, a spoonful of brown sugar, and beat the daylights out of it all. I use my hand mixer, as I don't like it less than whipped. Make sure you drain the veggies really well, as they can become watery if the "whip" sits for a while. Some family members add nutmeg, but not for me thanks! I also save all the drained water for the gravy.

Yummers! Mandatory on our table with the bird! Even English hubby says.."Wow! This has flavour", unlike his mothers boiled-to-deathg pot of swedes.

o

I slice rutabagas into rounds about 1" thick and then use a vegetable peeler on them. I saw it done this way on TV decades ago and have done it ever since. Very easy.

o

Rutabagas: I eat raw like an apple, skin and all, after cleaning of course. Sometimes, if the wax is troublesome to remove, I will peel to get rid of the wax. To peel, I use a paring knife or an ordinary fruit peeler.

o

Had to look up turnip puffs, I had never heard of them!

o

I'm posting our recipe on the daily recipe thread.

o

I hear that one should cut them across, in slices 1/2" - 1" thick (which takes a heavy knife or cleaver - and substantial effort) then one can peel around them fairly easily.

o j

o

I cut them in half and then use a paring knife.Love them in a beef stew. I have no trouble storing them in the refrigerator for weeks and they never go bad.

o

These, like acorn squash are so hard for me to cut, much less peel. I asked the produce man at our store if he would cut a few acorn squash in half and wrap them that way, either two halves together or singly. Seniors would appreciate it, and I would buy one or two packages of the cut squash, but he just ignores me. Ticks me off, as we like baked acorn squash, but it is too hard and dangerous for me to cut one. I tried the soften in the micro-way, but it just cooked uneven.

o

Hi dotmom,

Smile nicely at a strong neighbour and get her/him to cut it for you, using a big knife.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here