SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

The rewards of gravestone photography

alisande
10 years ago

As I've mentioned here before, I started taking pictures of gravestones after finding photos of my great-great-grandparents' graves (in London) online. I was moved to see it, and so grateful to the stranger who took the time to take the pictures.

Not surprisingly, many others feel the same way. Tonight I received the following message via FindAGrave. The writer refers to a gravestone containing several names, including a baby named Susan who was born and died in 1960.

I am not sure how the grave memorial pictures are selected for this site but want to say thank you for posting this wonderful picture. Susan was my sister. She was born the same year as me. She lived a few days and when she passed on. My father had to put his grief aside and lay Susan in her casket next to him on the seat of the family station wagon where both of them traveled from New York through a blizzard to Pa. so she could be laid to rest in peace with family.

Also listed on the grave marker is my Grandma (Hazel) and Grandpa (Charles) whom I received my middle name. Along with them my grandma's son Russel, who like Susan died very young.

Although I never had the chance to meet her I miss her dearly and think of her. My father passed in 2003. I am sure they are together with Grandma and Grandpa and Russel as well as all the remaining family members who have passed, as they wait for us to join them when our time on this earth is complete.

Thank you again for posting this wonderful picture. God bless you.

Comments (16)