Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60th Wedding Anniversary

Posted by carabubble (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 19:20

My siblings and I are seeking ideas to recognize our parents' 60th wedding anniversary. We've goofed, thinking that we had another year and that this month was going to see their 59th. Ten years ago we did a family portrait with my sister and brother coming with their families from their respective states. That won't work this year with several away at colleges. We aren't looking for some type of family get together either, as other relatives are too far away or old/ill. (My husband and I are actually it for relatives in the same state as my folks.) I suggested a weekend at a bed and breakfast at the shore, but my sister pointed out that our father would have the burden of packing for them and getting her in and out as she became a paraplegic about 4 years ago. Plus my sister didn't think the idea of the shore in late fall very enjoyable, anyway. Any ideas? What have you done, seen/heard of, been the recipient of, in the way of big anniversaries? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60th Wedding Anniversary

This site has a LOT of great ideas for a 60th wedding anniversary gift:

http://www.drdaveanddee.com/anniversary1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Celebrating a 60th wedding anniversary

o

We too will be celebrating our 60th next July, but do not want anything special, but not for the same reasons you might have. DH's health is just ok, but I have suggested maybe a family get together, but in your case maybe you could have friends and relatives send a special picture with some memories from the past. They put it together either on a DVD or in an album they could look at and share. And/or if they send pictures of their own family, you could take those pictures and form a collage and frame it. Or make up a calendar using different memories from the friends and family for each month.
If you Mom cooks or use to, even receipes, old household hints, and if they ever traveled just some pictures of places they have been. You can even get them off the internet.
Hope that helps a bit
Marie

o

Thank you, Kayjones, I'll be taking a look at that website. Marie-ndcal, we'd actually been thinking of scanning some of the pictures they have and giving them a CD? DVD? with the pictures set to music. A friend at work says she can help me do that. It'll be tricky trying to sneak some of their pictures out without them being aware. I'm hoping one of my sons can help distract them.

o

For Christmas our daughter had a collage made and framed for us of all the 3 families. What a wonderful surprise. You could have everyone send you pictures. They do them at most drugstores like CVS or Walgreens. It was a wonderful surprise. I had her do another one for our home down south. It was only $20.00 and I bought the frame.

o

A group photo is still a good idea even though only a few can be present. The years are passing quickly and ones present today might not be alive next year. So, do not hesitate to photograph whomever is present at the celebration this year - It is important.

o

Since the family is so scattered, what about you and yours going to spend the day with Mom and Dad, and taking your computer--and then having the others make video calls to them at different times during the day? Work out the schedule ahead of time, so everyone gets the chance to call, see Mom/dad/Grandma/Grandpa on their very special day. And so The Anniversary couple has a little time to rest between calls, if they need it.

And a VERY happy day to them--what a glorious achievement for them to be celebrating.

o

If you decide to use Skype, know that you can capture/take pictures while Skyping - just click on the symbol in the middle of the bottom of the screen. Take a bunch of pictures and make up a photo album - they will love it!

o

Here are the instructions on taking pictures on Skype:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11061/how-do-i-take-a-picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Take snapshots while Skyping

o

why not celebrate the entire year? give them the gift of 60 minutes a week? that could be a planned meal together, shopping, cleaning, ect...that way the family who are not in town, can visit when able, without anyone getting too tired, ect...

o

When my mother turned 80, someone gave her a digital picture frame, and she loves it. New pictures can be added at any time.

o

We celebrate our 60th Anniversary next July 18th.
Our 2 Daughters are planning something for us but
we won't know until the day. All I have to do is
send the guest names and thats it.
Dolly

o

Thanks, folks, for all the ideas. I especially liked the ideas about people skyping in throughout their big day and taking pictures from that. I emailed my sister and we're going to talk on the phone tomorrow night to go over some of the ideas. My sister lives 8 hours away and my brother 5, so you can see we're dealing with distances!

o

Here's a suggestion for your future benefit.

My son has sat me down a couple of times and had me tell the recorder about my life when I was young, about the house that we lived in, taking a bath in the galvanized wash tub behind the stove on Saturday night, doing farm work at age 10 when the hired hands went off to war, etc.

Such a project would be valuable to you and the other families in future, I imagine, possibly especially for the grandkids (and theirs - if the equipment in those days will still reproduce [if you'll pardon the expression] current recorded material's carrier).

ole joyfuelled

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here