Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have you been reading?

Posted by pam_25f (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 18:55

I have just begun The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, a ghost story that is supposed to be scary and well written (from Readers' Paradise). I just finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. This setting goes from London during WWII to contemporary time several times, mother to daughter as the grown daughter tries to understand something that she secretly observed her beloved mother do in 1961.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have you been reading?

Currently reading 'Mew is for Murder'--a murder mystery where the sleuth is a cat lover. It's one of the free ones I ordered on my kindle. Pretty interesting so far. could do with just a tiny bit of professional editing, but good enough that I'll borrow the second in the series from my dd.

Have been having a great time reading some of the free books by obscure authors--many are exceptionally well-plotted, and interetsing.

o

I just finished "Unnatural Acts" by Stuart Woods (a Stone Barrington novel) - it was very good, as usual.

Just started "Private: #1 Suspect" by James Patterson. I know I will love it.

o

I am enjoying "The Help," after seeing the movie a few years ago. I am glad I finally picked it up to read it.

o

Dead to Rights...by J.A. Jance...have read 3 other books by her this month...A more Perfect Union....Skeleton Canyon....Shoot Dont Shoot...have enjoyed all of them...these are all older books I acquired at the library...any one else read any of her books?...Mary

o

I really liked 'The Help' I could never see the movie until I read the book. I am reading 'Midwives' by Chris Bohjalian~~~I am really liking it.

o

I looked up Stuart Woods And I think I will try him soon. I like to read a series in order. I have read and enjoyed several JA Jance. I think I got stumped by my library only having some, not all. Azalea, have you read The Cat Who.... series? Loved those.

o

"The Help" is a favorite of mine also, as well as the movie.
Just finished Richard Sterban's book "From Elvis to Elvira" as I am a fan of The Oak Ridge Boys from way back. Now I'm reading Little Girl Blue, the story of Karen Carpenter's life.
Next on my list is "Same Kind of Different As Me".

o

Just finished Julia Robert's "The Witness".
I don't recall ever having read any of her books, really liked it and will order another.

o

Momof6, J.A. Jance has long been on my list of favorite authors. I started with her J.P. Beaumont series and also like her Joanna Brady series. She has at least one other series, but I don't remember much about it.

I like reading mysteries and there wasn't anything published in October by the authors I like. So, I've been re-reading some older books and watching some movies and television. I have five books pre-ordered that will be published in November, so I'm looking forward to those.

o

Just barely made it through "You Are The Love Of My Life" by Susan Richards Shreve. I avoid modern fiction, but thought I'd give this one a whirl. Bad choice---what do they say about never getting back several hours of your life? Back to biogrophies, memoirs, etc. etc.

o

Another J.A. Jance fan here! Have read almost everything in her Beaumont and Brady series. Beaumont is my favorite of the two, but the way Jance writes about southeastern Arizona in the Brady books is wonderful.

Now I am barreling through Jonathon Kellerman's series about Alex Delaware. A friend gave me one of the books this past summer, said "it's a little violent, but you'll love it"; he was right and I do, and am now reading them in order. I have a fine TBR pile of biographies and history books which are just sitting on the shelves while I follow the adventures of Alex and Milo.

o

I just finished The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones. Very interesting! I started Gone Girl, which a friend lent me. Next, Canada by Richard Ford.

o

I'm currently reading, and almost finished with, Stephen King's The Stand. My husband suggested it, and I kept putting it off, but now I'm so glad I've (almost) read it!

I used to read Stuart Woods all the time. I may need to pick up his new book.

o

I'm reading one of the Alexander McCall Smith books called "Blue Shoes and Happiness." It's a quick read and very entertaining. I will definitely read the rest of the series.

o

I so envy those of you that enjoy reading the wonderful authors of fiction. There is so much to choose from. I wish I could embrace an author or 2 or 3 whose books I get excited about and loose myself in the story. I have tried so many highly recommended books/authors and just loose interest by the 2nd chapter. As a child my Mom enrolled me in a book of the month club. I loved each and every book that came, no matter the subject.

Presently I am reading a book I picked up at a discount book place. "Life in the Wild, The Amazing Animal Kingdom". Great pictures, 500 pages of concise info and little known facts of animals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and insects. A beautiful book to be sure, and I am enjoying the read. But it is not the kind of literature that holds one in their seat letting the rest of the world go by completely unaware of time and space.

o

Hang in there past the ten rather precious first pages. I think you'd enjoy reading "Mrs. Queen Takes the Train" by William Kuhn. It's light without being 'lightweight' -- a bit of "The Prince & the Pauper" for adults.

o

I really haven't been doing a lot of book reading.. but my next book on my list is "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks.. I started it awhile back, but needed new glasses.. so waiting for them to come in...then I can pile up by the fireplace and read.....

Carolyn

o

I really haven't been doing a lot of book reading.. but my next book on my list is "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks.. I started it awhile back, but needed new glasses.. so waiting for them to come in...then I can pile up by the fireplace and read.....

Carolyn

o

I just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. I am reading the second part, All Clear. I have thoroughly enjoyed her historian/ time travel books including To Say Nothing of the Dog and The Doomsday Book.

o

Sable_ca, you've discovered another of my favorite authors in Jonathan Kellerman. Once you've finished those, you might want to try the series written by his wife, Faye Kellerman. They are also mysteries set in Los Angeles, but are written from a completely different perspective. One of his sons, Jesse, is also an author of fiction, but I lost interest in his first book and have yet to try reading another.

o

Great ideas here. I really liked Faye Kellerman, can't think why I never read her husband's books.

o

This past month, Gone Girl.......you can't put it down, but it's really, really weird, Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva.....basically his same old formula but an easy read and Where We Belong by Emily Giffin.....A delightful story. I really enjoyed. For next month, Killing Lincoln, The Pariswife, and In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.

o

I am always behind in reading The New Yorker. The Oct. 15 magazine has an interesting profile of Hilary Mantel. I've LOVED her historical novels about Thomas Cromwell: "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies".

She's had a remarkable life, coming from a mean, lower class childhood on the moors in north Derbyshire. She's had awful physical care, including misdiagnosed, then over-treated endometriosis that left her sterile. She says she 'hears' the voices of her subjects and has felt the presence of ghosts. (I don't know about such things, but I do know that she seems to get her character's 'voices' *just right*.)

o

Chisue: Are you aware that Mantel just won the Booker prize this year for Bringing up the Bodies? I haven't read either of her books however.

I read Gone Girls earlier this year and got Flynn's two previous books, which I found pretty dark and not nearly as good as GG.

I also love biographies and have been putting off reading Moss Hart's Act One, which was recommended to me last year as being the best autobiography my friend had ever read, and after watching this past week's PBS show about Broadway, I have ordered a copy.

One of the good parts of having a very dull social life is that I have plenty of time to read, so I go through 2 or 3 books a week, this week Zoo Station by David Downing, The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle, and Fasting and Feasting by Anita Desai.

o

I read Stephen King's "The Stand" years ago...very good. Just finished King's latest "11-23-63", which I also enjoyed...very thought provoking. Loved "Gone Girl"...it had many twists and turns that kept me guessing. I'm now rereading Michael Connelly's "Angels Flight". His books are police/lawyer type books based in LA. We recently visited LA and rode the Angels Flight Incline and it made me want to read it again. He also wrote "The Lincoln Lawyer" and many others...he is one of my favorite authors.

o

I recently picked up a 'new to me' author, Justin Cronin....The Passage. Big book, very hard to hold, so I really can't figure out what made me purchase it. It began very darkly and again I had my doubts, but when it took off, it really showcases a really fine writer. A futuristic"after the near demise end of our world" story, with interesting characters and places, problems etc. I ended up really captivated by it and understand that it is the begining of a series. Similar to the "Hunger games" which I also enjoyed but have not continued the series yet.

So many of my favorite authors are listed here and sometimes I get 'bored' with the same genre all the time. Currently reading Jphathan Kellerman's "Evidence". I have always like his books, but had to stop when the violence became 'too much'. This one is back to just a good story.

I think one has to be cautious lately, because the publishers seem to be "re-publishing" many of these popular authors, and I have been surprised when I bought some, that I had already read them. I think it is fine that they are re-issuing some of those titles, just wish I were more able to remember that I had already read them.

o

The Woman in Black is ok but the movie was actually better. I never say that but in this case I think it's true.

I'm reading the new J.K. Rowling book. Can't remember the name of it...it's pretty boring so far. Which is why I haven't gotten far in it.

o

Maxmom -- Hee-hee! I'm another one with a dull social life! Happily, my DH and I often read the same books, so at least we two can discuss them.

Yes, Mantel did win the Booker. I wonder how many other winners had as deprived a beginning in life -- or hear ghosts! Maybe someone will do a story on Booker Prize winners.

We've read most of Downing's 'Berlin' series. We also like the 'Bernie Gunther' series by... Philip ____? Sort of 'cross-pollination when you read about the Hotel Adlon, etc. in more than one author's books.

Nanny -- I hear you about too much 'dark' material. I decided long ago that there are some tales I don't want to be told. (Makes you believe in Evil with a capital E.)

Anyone read Mark Helprin's latest book? (title escapes me) His "A Soldier of the Great War" is on my best of the best list, but some of his NYC-centric books were over my head.

o

I have been trying to get thro The Assination of Lincoln, a good friend told me what a great book it was, still trying to get thro it so I can return it.

o

Fun2BHere - Sorry it took me so long to get back! The person who gave me the first Jonathon K. book also said that I should read his wife, Faye, next. One of the things I like most about him is his description of Los Angeles, so I'd probably enjoy how Faye K. writes about the area. Am feeling the urge to go down there for a visit.

I love myteries/thrillers that give you a strong sense of place and center on various ways of life in an area. Jance does this with Beaumont in Seattle, Kate Wilhelm does it with Barbara Holloway in Oregon, and Dana Stabenow does it with Kate Shugak in Alaska. Don't like the Shugak character very much, but love reading about Alaska!

Thanks for the suggestion.

o

Sable: If you want to read more desciptive stuff on L.A. try James Frey's Bright Shiny Morning. Between the plot material he goes back to the early settling of the area, not too much dull info, though. Quite readable in interesing.

o

Thanks, Maxmom, I'll check that one out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here