SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

If you inherited a fur coat. . .

Rudebekia
13 years ago

would you -- do you -- wear it? I just inherited a very beautiful full length one (sheared beaver, I was told) from a great aunt. It dates to the 50s or early 60s. It is in perfect condition and no doubt was hardly worn except for church on Sunday. It fits me well and the sleeves are full length, not 3/4s. It did smell like mildew, so I had it professionally cleaned and ozoned. But now I'm wondering whether wearing it sends the wrong message, encouraging others to buy fur new. I wouldn't ever buy a real fur (faux is just fine to me) but now I have this gorgeous real fur coat. . . I'm not looking to start an animal rights debate here but just wondering whether you have a fur and wear it.

Comments (105)

• jennmonkey
    13 years ago

I personally would never wear one. I would feel really uncomfortable in fur and I don't think they are attractive at all.

I couldn't care less what anyone else wears. To each their own. Same goes with meat. I don't eat it, but don't care what other people eat.

• marilyn_c
    13 years ago

I would never wear one. I would cut it into small pieces and give it to baby possums that I raise.

• Related Discussions

Do you trim the fur on your long haired dog?

Q

Comments (17)
    Sammy and Hoov: Glad you enjoyed the pictures. It is funny getting her summer hairdo every year. She does feel better when its done. She literally bounces off the walls without that heavy fur coat to drag around. What makes me laugh is when we bring her home from the groomers my cats seem to laugh at her! I mean they know its her because of the scent I presume but they run around the house and tap her in the bottom with their paws and act like kittens chasing her. They all get a great aerobic workout the first week or so after her grooming because my two cats find her new appearance so amusing they chase her everywhere. Kitties are fun what can I say. Kate
    ...See More

old fur coat.

Q

Comments (3)
    Here are two vintage beaver coats listed for sale. http://www.thevintagepeddler.com/catalog/item/3935804/5412119.htm http://www.thevintagepeddler.com/catalog/item/3935804/5239184.htm Beware that there may not be a market for a fur animal coat now a days.
    ...See More

Uses for old fur coat?

Q

Comments (27)
    Sue I inherited a lovely mink swing coat with the same problems as your coat. If the pelts are strong, so the fur is basically good (you can tell by brushing your hand over it to se eif there are any hard spots) it's easy for a furrier to remake it. My swing coat was cut down to deemphasise the swing, and the sleeves, which had fur inside of them as well because of their huge openings, were unfolded, steamed and then cuffs were made of the extra fur from the body and the sleves are now nice puffy sleeves on a fitted coat. You'd never now it was a Jackie O era coat :)
    ...See More

Site to ID type of fur in coat?

Q

Comments (17)
    I got to see it yesterday. I am pretty sure it is beaver. Unfortunately I saw some tears in it: she will have to repair these before offering it for sale. She is good at hand sewing, though. But the pelt is not dry at all (I have had a few of my own that were, since donated (I think: I can't find them) so I believe I can tell). I don't know what she can get for it, that remains to be seen. I priced a few when we were out that afternoon at other antique shops, priced between $100 and $200. Hers is a really nice style, and not dated. She also showed me a full length muskrat I had not seen before. That one is in perfect shape. No damage, pelt not dry. I don't know what the market is for muskrat. I urged her to place that for sale first, while she works on the beaver. At the end of February, she is running out of time.
    ...See More
  • blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

No matter what you do or what kind of toilet paper you use, someone will be upset/offended or think it is not in fad or the shaping is not appropriate......

burying the fur after the fact certainly will not help the animal. Selling it will just put it in circulation somewhere else. Gripping at fur while wearing down, cooking with fats, wearing leather shoes...ROFL.

In all things be moderate(practical). You had it cleaned out of respect for the coat or your Aunt. You must like its appearances or you wouldn't even consider wearing it. You live in an area where warmth is a matter of survival, not convenience. Other people wear/do things that are different then you and you are just as good as they are.

Your friends will accept whatever you choose, and everyone else will argue no matter what you choose.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Judging based on what I've witnessed, fur coats are mostly a luxury item worn by people who want to project a certain image.

In reality, people like me wear fur because it is lighter in weight yet warmer than wool or any man made fiber.
    Also lasts longer - not too many people walking around in 50 year old wool coats or polyester jackets, i'm sure.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

^^ Like I wrote, that is what I have witnessed. I don't have any knowledge about the motivation of people I don't know.

Gripping at fur while wearing down, cooking with fats, wearing leather shoes...ROFL.

Gripping at fur? You mean someone actually tried to grab your fur while doing all the other stuff you mentioned as well?! Some people...!!

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Years ago I had a rabbit fur jacket, it zipped up and had elastic in the sleeves and I wore it outside to feed and water my animals when it was really cold. It was comfortable, and it kept me both dry and warm and I loved it. I dont think I was trying to impress anyone with it, either.... LOL

• lavon46
    13 years ago

oops, I forgot to answer the OP...yes I would wear it, if it was used to keep me warm !

• patser
    13 years ago

Based on what I've witnessed, while living in both zones 4a and 5a, men and women who wear furs have the overwhelming desire to be warm in the winter, particularly when temps are below 20F. Strange concept, isn't it?

I would never try and guess why zone 8 folks wear furs.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I don't care what people in zones 4 and 5 wear. And I don't care what people in zone 8 wear either. Everyone is entitled to wear what they want. And I am entitled to my opinion of those who choose to wear fur. Strange concept, isn't it?!

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I guess whether or not people look bad in furs is a matter of opinion. I don't think the woman I work with looks bad and she's an average sized middle aged woman. The first thing that always comes to mind when I see her is that she looks warm!! I have to say I chuckled out loud when I lived in Houston, TX and saw people wearing fur coats during the "winter".

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

The ones I've seen truly don't look attractive. But it's possible my dislike of fur is distorting my vision. :o)

• matti5
    13 years ago

To answer OP's question. No, I wouldn't wear a fur.

A friend of mine inherited 2 full length mink coats. She didn't want to wear them and no one in the family wanted them, so she made pillows for her couch. Her cats love them!

• caroline94535
    13 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought a great coat at a thrift store. It's "fulled wool," heavy, thick, woolen fabric that was boiled and felted into a weather-impervious fabric.

After that process, the resulting bullet-proof material was crafted into the greatest 1950s-style swing-coat.

It afull length sleves, princess seaming, a slight flare to the knee-length hem, big easy-to-close horn buttons with bound buttonholes...and a narrow mink collar.

It's a Grandma-going-to-a-Church-meeting coat. It's quintessential 1954. It's also the "coolest" coat I've ever owned. Even on my short, plump self it looks great. It's comfortable; it's warm (especially on the -35 below zero night when I last wore it.)

The mink collar is the finishing "Man Man-era" touch. I sometimes add one of my vintage brooches to the edge of the collar.

I would not buy a new fur coat. I wouldn't give up my vintage wool coat with a mink color.

I'm now searching for vintage black leather gloves and the perfect "handbag" to carry with the coat.

It was "Made in the U.S.A" and cost me $5.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Funny story. I bought a boy's parka for myself at Old Navy or Gap with a fur trim on the hood. My grandson who was 7 or 8 at the time asked why I had fur on my coat. I told him it was fake. DD said it looked real. The label just said it was down and the outer fabric polyester but there was a hidden label saying it was some kind of fur. Why that wasn't on the main label, I don't know. Lucky for me it was applied w/ Velcro so it's gone now. I remember as a child sitting in church looking at the old ladies in their minks and stoles some with the actual fox face staring at me. I asked my mother why anyone would want to wear a dead animal. I must have been ahead of my time. I always whip my head around when I see someone in fur because it's not too common around here except for the elderly .

• jannie
    13 years ago

I remember once,as a child, sitting in church next to a woman wearing a fur. I started petting it.

• hallngarden
    13 years ago

lily, you just took me back to my childhood. I can still see "Miss Ada", sitting in church with her fox fur and the faces. Church folks always sat at the same places in church and she sat two rows up from us. Its been more than 70 years and I can still see her with her hat on and the fox hanging around her neck. As a child could not figure out why in the world she wore an animal on her neck.

• wine50
    13 years ago

I have a beautiful fur coat that I wear all winter long. I am not trying to impress anyone by any means, I just love the coat and it is warm. Why would you not wear the coat if you like it? I realized a long time ago that not everyone agrees with what I say, wear or do but, I really don't care. Wear that beautiful coat and hold your head up high. It's a coat and nothing more.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

Lily, it was probably dog or cat fur. There was a big uproar a while back about Burlington Coat factory, Gap, and some other stores selling garments with fur trim which was sometimes labeled synthetic or rabbit, but upon testing, turned out to be canine or feline. Most of the cat/dog furs came from China. I believe as a result, a new fur labeling law was enacted, but there are some loopholes, and it's still happening.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'd give that fur coat to a wildlife re-hab place to comfort baby critters.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I have a fur vest type jacket and I proudly wear it every winter. It was an exceptionally meaningful (and lovely) gift to my Mom and I am so glad that she made sure that I got it.

• chisue
    13 years ago

Now you've got me worrying over all the little oysters that died so that I could have pearls. Sob! (They were also *interfered with*! Gasp!)

• dlhealdquilter
    13 years ago

My husband's grandmother gave me her fur coat 25+ years ago, when my husband and I moved to Alaska. Even then, I didn't have a problem wearing a fur coat, but the style was just so "old" so for that reason I would not wear it. What I did was took the coat to a person who makes teddy bears out of fur and had three bears made for my kids to remember their great grandmother by. Best thing I ever did.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Petra..I never heard of dog/cat fur being used on Gap coats. That's horrible. I hope that practice is over. I know I couldn't live in other cultures where cats and dogs are at the market in cages to be sold as food. >>Sylvia..good idea. I still have one raccoon coat in the attic(threw the other one away years ago) and I'll take it to the Humane society or a wildlife place for babies to snuggle on. .

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

"I'd give that fur coat to a wildlife re-hab place to comfort baby critters."
    Several people have mentioned this and to me it just sound ridiculous!
    Why would anyone use a probably very expensive fur coat for that purpose? Wouldn't it be more sensible,(if you never planned to wear the coat and wanted some kind of good to come of it),to give it to some poor homeless "human" soul to keep them warm? I'm sorry but it just blows my mind the extremes people will go to in order to "save" animals! The animals that gave their lives for that fur coat are not endangered and were probably raised for that purpose.Now if the coat were made from an endangered species,I probably wouldn't wear it but I definitely would not donate it to something/someone to cut up or throw in a cage with an animal! That is just stupid. Besides,it would probably just end up on someone's back anyway,like Alisande's coat!
    Marita-Sorry,I pretty much hijacked your OP and I apologize.Wear your coat with pride if that's what YOU want to do and on't worry about what other people think.I think your aunt knew what she was doing when she left it to you!

• silversword
    13 years ago

I'd wear it (if I had the place and the weather). I'm against fur and leather clothing at face value, but once the animal has given it's life I think it's more respectful to wear it and get full use out of it.

Enjoy your coat!

• amyfiddler
    13 years ago

Lilliepad, why don't you tell us how you really feel, and why don't you throw the word 'stupid' in there for good measure....

The indians used to wear furs, and they respected animals more than anyone on this site or otherwise. If you like it, wear it - if you don't, then don't. I like looking at my grandmothers' furs in their cedar closets - they are cool heirlooms.

• Chi
    13 years ago

I would never, ever wear fur. Just the thought of some poor animal being skinned alive to make it... Even though the animal is long dead, I don't think I could deal with the emotion tied to it. But a lot of people don't believe in that so it's a completely personal decision!

I've also been a vegetarian for 12 years for the same reason. To me, there's a big difference between using animal meat and skin to survive and indulging in fur and lobster because of the "food chain". I don't believe in provoking the fear and terror in animals to support me in ways that aren't necessary, because I can survive, and thrive, perfectly well as a vegetarian. But that's me, and I realize my world is a lot more privileged than a vast majority. So I can make decisions like these based on my ethics rather than on necessity.

And I do have a question that might come off as mocking or hostile, but it's sincere cause I'm curious. What's the difference between cats and dogs being used for fur, and other animals? A species difference? Is one more valuable than the other in terms of our compassion? Because some we use as pets? I don't understand the outrage over one type of animal and not the others.

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

amyfiddler-I thought I did say exactly how I feel and "stupid" was the expletive I used because that is what I think! I was giving my opinion.If anyone disagrees with it that's there prerogative.We all have that right.There is really no need to get hostile.LOL
    Marita-Again,I apologize that this has turned into an animal rights debate!

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Well said, Chi, and you forgot to mention that a vegetarian diet is much healthier. Meat diets promote colon and sometimes breast cancer. My digestive system could never tolerate one bite of meat. And I agree with your dog/cat reference. Pigs are as intelligent as dogs, but we think nothing of that when we take them to the slaughter house. I maintain, if people visited the horrors of a slaughter house, they'd go vegetarian in a heart beat. These poor animals are terrified and die a horrible death. For what? So we can have a big juicy steak or a piece of ham? There IS no difference between a dog and a pig. A dear friend of mine is heartbroken today because one of her pet chickens was killed by a mink last night. She said the chicken followed her all around , tried to jump on her lap when she was on a chair, and was so affectionate.

• lavon46
    13 years ago

The OP stated..............
    I'm not looking to start an animal rights debate here but just wondering whether you have a fur and wear it.

Just wondering why it had to turn into one anyway ?

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

It's apparent that the coat has some meaning for you, and that there's reason to make use of it in your part of the world, so I suggest that you wear it when it suits you and not get one bit bent out of shape over it.

I'd have some trouble wearing a coat made recently of the fur of an animal of an endangered species.

But as for raccoon ... there are quite a few dead ones lying along the roadsides in this area, so if you'd like to pick some up and make the fur into coats (even with a tear, here and there, that a sewer with skill could hide ...

... go for it.

We've fished out the seas, so that now many of the "high level" species are scarce ...

... so now they're calling several species at which once we turned up our noses by fancier names, so that we'll eat them.

Some time ago the Europeans refused to deal with Canadian seals, and when they were told that it was destroying the Inuit way of life, said that they'd buy seal pelts that had been hunted in traditional fashion ... but not using rifles, snow machines, etc.

To which the Innu replied that they'd listen to that argument ...

... when the Europeans went back to driving horses pulling buggies ... and smash their electricity-generating stations.

I heard recently that in one of the richest countries of the world (probably still the richest), one-seventh of the people live in poverty. Shouldn't we be ashamed of that fact?

Several years ago one of our political parties vowed to eradicate poverty within 10? 15? years ... and they've been in power in several of the intervening years. Which period expired some time ago ... and we, too, have as much poverty as ever.

We'd better get used to it ... for in not too many years, many more of us in our part of the world will be living in poverty.

If, 15 years ago, someone had suggested that GM would go bankrupt ... they'd have been laughed out of town.

We have some really serious issues which need dealing with.

ole joyful

• alisande
    13 years ago

Sylvia, that's an excellent idea! I wish I'd thought of it before I donated my coat to the Humane Society.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Cassandra, Just wondering if you kept the sheared beaver coat. I wear my fur coats everyday after Thanksgiving, I am in a snow country, fur coats are everywhere here. I love to see everyone's fur coats when I go grocery shopping. A lot of ladies in full length mink coats. When you wear a long fur coat sitting in a car, you'd need to lift the coat up- so you won't sit on it, to void the damage on the fur, hope it's not too late to tell you this. :-) Keep warm, winter is coming. :-)

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

My mother wore a beautiful dark mink jacket, which she looked great in.

When she passed on, I have no idea if another relative took it or if it got donated to Goodwill or something. (My shoulders are much broader than hers, so the only clothing I inherited were - for her - oversized sweaters). It wouldn't have been my style anyway, but I see nothing wrong with wearing it if you like it. I eat meat and wear leather -- and my vegetarian friends would see nothing wrong with wearing inherited fur.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, so funny to see this 5 year old post revisited. I still have the coat I started this thread about, and I don't think I've worn it once in 5 years. It is heavy and HUGE, an ample swing-type design that isn't popular. It takes us huge space in my closet but I can't seem to part with it. I am in snow country here, too--MN--and we have entire coat wardrobes. But real fur isn't very acceptable here. That, and the fact that the coat is so bulky, keep me from wearing it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

You should have it made into pillow covers or something since it's just taking room in your closet. I understand the sentimental attachment but you aren't able to enjoy it unless you have it made into something useful.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Cassandra, you're obviously not cold enough. :) I've seen a lot more full fur coats in places where people walk a lot and take street cars or subways. If you're driving most places I can see that it just wouldn't be useful to you. Is there another family member who does get cold enough who could make good use of it?

After five years, if it's using space you'd rather give to other things and you don't want to wear it, why haven't you sold or donated it? For sentiment, you could take a bunch of pictures of family members hamming it up wearing it, and see if you have a picture of your great-aunt, or better, her in the coat. If not, make a line drawing, and put it and the new pictures in a collage or frame or little book and let go of the coat. If you have plenty of room for it, even though it takes up a huge space, nevermind. :) Maybe looking at it makes you happy, and you'll be happy to have it if you lose all power in a snowpocalypse.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's an expensive piece to donate, these days it costs $5000 and up for a full length sheared beaver. :-) You can't storage fur in a plastic bag, the pelts would dry out, a breathable garment bag is a must. :-)

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

You can have the coat altered to a style that you'd wear. Many of the Fur stores near me advertise that service. They can turn it into a fur-lined trench coat, shear it, dye it, cut it down to a different length, remove the excess swing etc.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually I have plenty of room for it and I do enjoy looking at it and petting it! I have no intention of altering it or giving it away. I suppose sentiment is part of it, but I keep it to look at the same way I enjoy collecting pieces of beautiful fabric or tapestry materials. Eventually I'll wear it again at some point. It certainly is warm!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Cassandra, I am glad you still have it! :-) MN is much colder than here-NY by the Great Lakes. You really need it! :-) We have a lot of sub zero temp here, I wear full length coyote coat, hat to work and anywhere when the temp drop under 10F, it's pretty bulky indeed but very warm. :-) One lady at my office building has a long sheared beaver coat, it's beautiful indeed. I wear my mink coat most of winter. It's pretty common around here. Hope you can wear yours someday since it's so cold over there. :-)

• BB Galore
    8 years ago

I can't believe this is even an issue for anyone. It's a coat, it's beautiful, it's warm. Why the hand wringing? Does OP fret over leather handbags and Ugg boots?

I had a friend who tried to proselytize me once about the "horrors" of fur. I asked her what she thought her shearling rug was made from, and if the geese survived the down plucking that filled her comforter. Yeah, she was that ditzy. But she at least had the excuse of being an impressionable teenager back then.

• granny2anb
    8 years ago

Of course I'd wear it. I have a mink jacket I've had for years and wear it every year. I have a friend that says she wouldn't wear a fur coat but has a purse and matching shoes made of ostrich leather.

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

I would not wear it. I think they are out of style and ageing when worn.

I inherited two fur jackets and gave them to Goodwill. I don't think there is too much of a market for them. I also recently donated two fur collars to Goodwill.

There are some online companies that take old fur coats and make teddy bears out of them. Here is one of them:

http://www.stadlerfurbears.com/heirloom-fur-bears.htm

• joyfulguy
    8 years ago

What's the main cause of many species becoming extinct?

Destruction of habitat.

Who's responsible? Mankind: "humankind", if you're concerned for gender neutrality.

About three or four hundred years ago the population of the world was 1 billion ... then 2 billion ... now 7 billion ... and going on 10, before long, they claim.

If we want to protect the endangered species ... the sooner man/humankind departs, the better.

ole joyful

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Fur time should start around Thanksgiving over here. Can't wait to see the first snow, it sounds crazy, love all 4 reasons. Love to see all the furs on the streets, in the shops, from vintage to modern, it feels like Holidayseason. :-)

• loonlakelaborcamp
    8 years ago

Cassandra, I live in ND -- we get colder than you here.

A swing-style coat could probably fit me....

If you EVER consider selling/giving it -- keep me in mind!!!!!

• susanjf_gw
    8 years ago
    1. used and yes I wore it till it didn't fit me...and yes it was well under the change of heart when the coat was made...good grief it's over 50 years old...enjoy...and if some fool asks shrug and say it was a hand me down...
  • ntt_hou
    8 years ago

You seem to know what you want to do with the fur coat. As long as you're comfortable with how you're using it, that is all it matters.

As for myself, I feel creepy wearing real fur. I'm not comfortable wearing one at all. However, I am fine wearing certain type of leather such as cow or sheep leather.

At an earlier post, someone posted that's all in the food chain. I disagree, we eat beef, pork, chicken, lamb, etc. but we normally don't eat beaver, chinchilla, etc..

So, if it's snake skin, leopard leather, etc.., those too I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it. That's just me though.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Cassandra, I hope you had a chance to wear it during the snow storms this winter. I wear my full length mink when temp drops below 30F, it should be the same comfortable temp for a sheared beaver.