SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Got screen door repaired this afternoon

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Finally. I made up my mind to put new screen in the back screen door today, it was torn away from the spline right at the door handle and has been for so long. Anyway, I can do this job but I don't like it. Drove down to the hardware and bought a roll of fiberglass screening and some new spline. When I got to the counter, I asked the guy if they repair screen doors? He said yes, and for my type of plain wooden door he'd charge about $18 and that included materials. Only he couldn't do it until Monday.

So I'm standing there debating in my head whether or not to just chuck the job and let him do it or save me some money and do it myself. Well, the materials came to $11.75. For about $7 more I could have had him put it in. The clerk and I stood there looking at each other for awhile, she waiting for me to make up my mind. I ended up bringing the stuff home to do it myself. After a cup of coffee, I suddenly changed my mind. Why should I stress myself out, rush and do a poor job on the door like I always do? I called the hardware back and said I'd bring the door in Monday!

Guess what? He said if I bring it in within the next half hour, he'd get on it and have it done later in the afternoon after some other jobs he had. Didn't take me long to take that door off its hinges and put it in the trunk of the car (yeah, don't own a truck anymore). I roped it down as well as I could, put a bright orange caution flag on the end sticking out, and drove it down there. Picked it up about 45min. ago and I hung it back up already. Looks great.

Comments (11)