Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Put A Bread Machine in My Bathroom

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 18:25

Today at the barn sale I bought a bread machine for $2.00. I brought it home and have it going in my bathroom. I did not buy it to make bread but to heat and mix up my home made soap. Now I won't have to heat and stir the water and grated bar soap down in my kitchen, carry it upstairs to my bathroom and add the rest of the ingredients, stir and add more hot water. I can just heat and mix in the bathroom, set my five gallon bucket in the tub and fill with hot water and the ingredients, mix and let set over night. My washer and dryer are in that room. I am thinking someone on one of these forums posted they did that, who ever it was, I want to thank them. This is not one that makes a two pound loaf but says one pound to one and a half pound. It is a White Westinghouse. I have it mixing away as I type. Does anyone else do that with their bread machine? This one of course is staying up in the bathroom, it won't be used for bread.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Put A Bread Machine in My Bathroom

LOL--I thought you were making bread for Kramer(in Seinfeld) when I read your post!

That actually sounds like a good idea if it works for what you're doing. I've been wanting to learn to make soap, but it just seems a bit complicated--and not sure with my allergies if it would be good or bad to make my own.

Have fun with the new toy!

o

I just took it out of the bread machine and put it in the five gallon bucket with the other two ingredients, stirred it well, added the hot water to the bucket and stirred some more and now it is just going to set overnight.

4 cups hot water went into the machine
1 bar of grated Fels Naptha also into the machine (grated in my food processor)
Went through it's process in the machine, dumped into the bucket and added
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax

Then filled the bucket with hot water.

I have made this so many times I have lost count. I usually keep my kids supplied too. Now it is so much easier to do.

Sue

o

I love it.

o

Azzalea, it is not complicated at all. I quite enjoy making it.

Sue, what a great idea!

o

Well.....I bet the machine is good and clean! Not a soap maker myself, but I admire the ingenuity.

o

Sue, at first I thought you're making hand soap but after reading the ingredients, I'm not sure. So, are you making laundry detergent or hand soap?

Why I was puzzled: I use almost the same ingredients for my home mix laundry detergent. However, by leaving the water out, it's just laundry powder detergent. It's much easier and no heavy mixing involved. Plus, it's easier to store as well. Instead of Fels Naptha bar soap, I use Zote bar soap. Zote bar is twice larger and I just need to use 1/2 of the bar. My clothes are clean and smell wonderful.

1/2 bar of Zote, grated (1 bar = 14.1 oz)
4 1/2 cup Borax
3 cups washing soda

Stir all ingredients together well. I store it in a used large can of coffee (28-32 oz. can).

Usage: 2 Tbns. for 1 regular size load on a top load washer. Use 1 Tbn. for front load washer. Use a little more for oversize load.

o

Mine is for liquid laundry soap. Zote is not available here. I like the liquid better than powder, just works better in my machine.

Sue

o

I don't make my own soap, but I LOVE the smell of Fels Naptha. It makes the clothes smell like they've been line dried, to me.

o

I just assumed you were going to delay time it, so you could smell bread baking while getting ready in the morning.

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here