Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just winterized my bed!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 18:21

Changed my down blanket to my down comforter. I'm set!

Cold front and I was chilly last night. Shoulda changed last night, but at least the comforter will feel good tonight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just winterized my bed!

Glenda, I just kept adding blankets. Got 3 on right now. Should be able to take some back off, maybe starting tonight. The cold front has passed here, and it warmed back up to the lower 60's (daytime high).

Moni

o

I froze last night. My old electric blanket has died. So, today I went to two different stores to find an electric mattress pad. It's now on my bed. It was 29 here this morning and that back bedroom doesn't get warm at all.

o

Usually all I do is change to flannel sheets and if it gets really cold I add a velux blanket. I keep my light weight coverlet, I don't like weight to the bedding it hurts my joints. I have light weight down comforters I can throw on top if we are freezing. I love to sleep in a cool room. My husband and dog not as much as me so they end up bundled and I kick off the covers.

o

We're having a warmup after the cold front, but my body is chilly, and told me it was time to change for heavier cover.

o

Just put the elec blanket on the bed yesterday .

o
RE: Just winffffterized my bed!

I'm too hot natured for an electric blanket.

o

I put the down comforter on my bed several days ago and now I sleep like a baby. I, too, like a cool room when I sleep.

o

I changed to flannel sheets on the weekend and I have an electric throw that I put at the foot of the bed as we both have cold feet and it feels so good getting in bed.

o

Seems to be a lot of that going on!! We have those wonderful new fleecy sheets that are so soft and not too warm. I put them on the bed yesterday and we both slept so well last night. Winter must be on the way...

o

Growing up we had the old family house in the country with no source of heat but the one fireplace in the main room.

Parents used to heat a brick by the fireplace, wrap it and put it at the foot of our bed to keep our feet warm, with layers of quilts.

Those were the ole days :o)

o

I envy all of you who are putting warm layers on your bed. It's too hot here to even think about using anything more than a sheet for cover.

o

Lows in the mid 40's. Heatin' blanket, open windows and a fan here.... Talk about psychological disorders? Geez....

o
RE: Just wintbbberized my bed!

OAH, I like it cool with fans going: one on bed, ceiling fan, and box fan with cracked door to deck.

o

No flannel sheet, just a light quilt and short sleeve jammies and no electric blanket. But that is me all winter. Don't like a heavy blanket. Had a electric mattress pad in the trailer but not here. Even when the temps get well below 0. Wierd!

o

I'm still just using a sheet here. I have to have a fan on and sometimes the air conditioner when I first go to bed. It doesn't cool off until almost 1 a.m.

o

It's 75 degrees here and the sun isn't up yet. I can't even think about blankets when it still feels like Summer!

o

I put the heat on last night, DH felt cold. So I'm keeping the light-weight summer blanket for now.

o

I did too. Put on the electric mattress pad, and exchanged my summer down blanket for the winter one. Good thing, too, as I was out all day and the house was cold. My bedroom was freezing.

o

It's always a toss-up as to when to change to my winter covers. The minute I put them on, the temps soar. I'd much rather be too cold than too warm. I can always put another blanket on. Even in the cool weather, 30's and 40's, I'll crack the outside door for that fresh air.

People always ask "Aren't you afraid to have that door open?" "No" I say. I someone wants an old bag like me, they're welcome to me.

o

We're supposed to have a winter like last year, which means hardly any winter at all. I like that, but I sure wish it'd cool off a little. Even in winter, we just sleep with the top sheet and a cotton quilt with the heat turned way down.

o

I have my electric blanket on the bed year round, I'm set when its cold, just push the button and I have heat.
It's still a/c & fan weather right now.

o

I keep the same comforters year round, I may put my electric mattress pad on one of these days. I use one comforter at a time.

Sue

o

Like Joann, my electric blanket stays on my bed all of the time. It sure felt good last night. I can't stand being cold. On top of that, I have my Furry....a blanket made of fake fur. Will be putting the fleece sheet on next.

o

thought Glenda added mulch to her flower bed...

o

I just bought a package of Shabby Chic sheets at Target. They will go on the bed Friday along with the wool Chatham blanket and the down Ralph Lauren comforter I've had for years...Love love cold weather to sleep in.

o

Years ago I bought a blanket that is flannel on one side and a weave on the other. In the summer it is on the weave side and I just flip it over on the flannel side once it gets cold. They have been the best blankets. I bought 4 more for our beds for our beds down south.

o

Susie can you still buy those and what are they called and where did you get them? TY

o

I bought them at J C Penneys.. They are really great quality. It's surprising what a difference it makes just turning it over.

o

LOL at Sylvia -- I thought the same thing, that Glenda had gotten the garden beds ready for winter.

I turned on the furnace and threw an extra blanket on the bed. Too soon for the down comforter yet.

o

We do not winterize our bed anymore since we have a gas furnace that keeps the house from freezing over night. This topic does bring back memories when I was a kid on the farm and the house got cold over night. At the first hard frost, Mom would break out the feather bedding.

Have you ever slept on a full thickness feather tic? It is warm, but you can get lost in one. When you lay down, the feather bed billows up round the sides and envelops you. You can hardly turn over. It like sleeping in a cocoon. Warm? You bet!

Ours was filled with goose down. You were in trouble if you were alergic to feathers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here