Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying "Faux Wood" blinds; any hints???

Posted by caroline (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 18:16

I have a larger (59x61) south facing window that needs help. "For right now" I want to put a faux wood blind there.

The current roller blind is far to flimsy and looks weird. I will eventually have bookcases on each side of this window, but for now I need something that I can easily open and close, and that I can keep up high enough that The Boys won't destroy it.

This window does not open; it's just a big glass square. Since it faces south it's a real life saver during the long, dark North Dakota winters.

Do you have faux wood blinds? What are the pros and cons, and how do you like them?

Would I be better off getting them from a Home big box store, or ordering from one of the "Blinds.com" type companies?

My mind is tired, but it's still "inquiring!"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying "Faux Wood" blinds; any hints???

I have them in all my rooms except the kitchen. They are pretty but a 'bite' to clean. They are made from pressed hardwood and break infrequently. I recommend taking the measurements to Lowe's (where mine came from) and have it custom made.

o

We put them up in several rooms about six months ago and so far have been very pleased. We have huge double windows on the west and I was afraid they wouldn't block the heat, but they do a good job. We bought them at Lowes.
I really wanted the custom made wood plantation shutters, but they are terribly expensive. Way beyond what I could spend.

o

I have them in all rooms and have had them for years. I love them. I think any blinds are a pita to clean so these are no worse than any blinds to clean.

o

Home Depot carries the plain white. They can cut on site at the width to match your window. The slats of the blind can be removed to adjust the length for fitting.

One example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-White-Faux-Wood-Blind-2-in-Slats-64-in-Length-Price-Varies-by-Size-10793478068289/100139932#.UmIxeJUo6cw

When you measure the window, measure the length and width from inside. The width should be minus 1/4" of the total opening window width to give room on the sides.

o

They are heavy, so take that into account if you plan to raise and lower them. It is not unmanageable, but I would not want to do it every day. And I am afraid the cords are going to fray and break, although that has not happened.

I have mine in a bedroom, and they let in a lot of light even when closed.

I bought mine from justblinds.com and installed them myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here