Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin pie

Posted by grams33 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 18:13

Have any of you made a "pumpkin" pie using buttercup squash instead of pumpkin? If so will you share the recipe? Also have you made a sweet potato pie and again share the recipe. You are all so helpful so what better place to come for help Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin pie

This is Libby's recipe for the above: pumpkin and sweet potato Only recipe I've ever used

Pie crust for a 9-inch single-crust pie, refrigerated

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs

One 15-ounce can Libby's pumpkin or 2 cups (scant) roasted and mashed yams or sweet potatoes

One 12-ounce can Nestle Carnation evaporated milk

Freshly whipped cream for garnish

If you haven't already, prepare the pastry and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.

Roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle. Invert the pastry over a 9-inch standard pie pan and center. Tuck the pastry into the pan, without stretching it, and crimp the edge into an upstanding ridge. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the sugar, salt and spices in a small bowl, and beat the eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the pumpkin or potatoes and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in the evaporated milk. Pour into the chilled pie shell.

Place the pie on the center oven rack and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and rotate the pie 180 degrees, so that the part that was facing the back of the oven now faces forward. Continue to bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.

Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool for 2 hours. Serve right away, or cover with loosely tented aluminum foil and refrigerate before serving. Garnish with whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.

o

Can't beat that Libby's recipe. After you cook the squash, you may want to put it in the food processor and puree it. Bet it'll be really good. Let us know how you like it.

o

You can also use sweet potatoes in the pumpkin pie recipes or a mix of sweet potatoes and pumpkin, probably could mix the squash with either one too if wanted to.

Sue

o

Do any of you ladies have a really easy and tasty pie crust, made using a food processor?

o

Thank you so much for your quick replies-I will try them Thanksgiving and see if my family will know the difference

o
RE: Puvvvmpkin pie

To me, you can't beat Libby's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here