SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Spanish nurse's dog euthanized

lucillle
9 years ago

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the euthanasia of the pet dog belonging to the nurse from Spain who is infected with Ebola.
I am hoping that there is research being done on whether dogs can become infected.

Certainly dogs are prime possible fomites, friendly, brushing up against people, rolling in icky stuff outdoors (my dogs do this all the time, if they discover a decomposing earthworm they treat it like cologne and roll and try to get it on their snout and ear area) and also they eat all sorts of questionable stuff.
And then they run around everywhere and from person to person.

I know that in kennels and boarding facilities, kennel cough is very infectious. I think I heard that one of the Houston shelters was having trouble with parvo a couple years ago, they could not seem to isolate it for a while.
It seems difficult to keep dogs isolated and uninfected in a kennel situation if there is an infectious disease going around.

Since I have several dogs who I'm very attached to, I'm interested in what research finds as far as whether dogs can become infected or become carriers of Ebola other than fomites.

This post was edited by lucille on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 18:11

Comments (7)