Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beef Pot Pie

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 18:03

Decided to try this today, it took HOURS. I used stew beef which took awhile to get tender, like almost 2.5hrs.(!). Then the pot and carrots seemed to cook forever,and the gravy wouldn't thicken as fast as I thought it should . Plus I cheated and used prepared pie crust instead of making it by scratch like I intended. Anyway, I began this at 2pm. and it just now came out of the oven at 6pm. Whew. By this time I'm not even hungry for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beef Pot Pie

Sure looks good!

o

Bet it will taste as good as it looks!

o

It looks beautiful, Schoolhouse. I know what you mean about something that takes a long time to make. By the time I'm done in the kitchen, I'm usually tired of smelling/tasting/cooking. If you're really, really tired of it, you can send it to my house :-)

o

You can send some of that pie to my house. I have never made a pot pie.

Sue

o

That looks good enough to eat! I'll take, you don't have to ask me twice.

patti43, I agree. Especially making the big honkin' Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter meals. Don't even feel like eating it after cooking for so long.

o

Thanks all. Well, I had two pieces so it must have been good. hee hee Then at 7pm. I did the 2mile walk with Leslie Sansone on DVD. The back of my legs are burning, lets hope it worked off some of the calories.

I do think the pie needed some seasoning tho besides salt and pepper. Next time I should add? And do those prepared pie crusts have added sugar? I tasted a sweetness, normally I don't add sugar to my pie dough.

o

I make those all the time. Especially after Thanksgiving, then it's turkey pot pie. :0) I make the pie crust from scratch and use a BIG French crock, it's deeper, holds more. Then I cheat and use a can of mixed vegetables. :0)

o

Yeah, I have a recipe for a vegetable pie that uses a bag of mix veggies. Real quick and taste good. Would like to find a deep dish like your crock.

I like my crust better even tho I end up making it short with alot of butter. It gets real flaky and melt in your mouth, not exactly a pie dough I guess.

o

Schoolhouse, would you please post your crust recipe? I am always on the lookout for a tender, flaky, easy-to-make pie crust. THANKS!

o

Yum! Next time, try using left over beef from a roast. Just season it as you would normally for a roast. I always use store bought crust, and have found that store brand is way better than Pillsbury. I also use frozen veggies. Hmmm, I did a chicken in the crockpot today. Might just borrow your idea!

o

kayjones, here's the one I use. The recipe is actually for a "Shortcrust Flan Shell" but as I said I use it for most everything. From "English Country Cooking At Its Best" by Caroline Conran.

Makes one 9.5" flan case (or crust):
1 cup flour
3Tbs. self-rising four (if available)
1 cup (2 sticks ) chilled butter

Sieve the two flours together in to a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour with a knife, holding the butter on one hand and carving off thin flakes of butter with the other. Rub the flakes quickly into the flour - stop as soon as the mixture starts to become heavy and clings to your fingers.

Add water - a couple of tablespoons at first and then a little at a time until you can just collect the pastry together into a mass. Form it into a ball, cover and chill for an hour in the refrigerator. To use it, beat it with a rolling pin to loosen it and roll it out on a floured board.

o

I wouldn't have turned away a plate. I'm a sucker for home made dishes.. even those where a lil' cheatin's going on. *grin*

o

I'm surprised at two things:
1) The ingredients list show no sugar or sweeteners that I immediately recognize; and
2) The list *does* include lard!

I've seen pseudo pot pies made using whack-a-tube biscuits and whack-a-tube pizza crust before. I'd think they'd make a decent crust option too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolled Crust Label

o

Looks tasty! I sometimes make chicken or beef pot pie filling and put it inside crescent rolls.

o

cynic, I used the "Our Family" brand since it was less expensive and I'm not experienced with using it. After I read your post I just had to pull the box out of the trash to check the ingredients. lol The label mentions "lard and hydrogenated lard" and "sugar"(!). I thought the baked crust tasted sweet. Before baking certain items I will sometimes brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar but not add it directly to the dough.

Tube biscuits would be a time saver ontop of beef stew. I may try those sometime.

o

I forgot to mention yesterday that if you want a deeper pie, but don't have a deeper pie plate, you can use a cast iron skillet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here