Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pfeffernusse Cookies

Posted by sandiefl (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 17:40

My Jim loves these cookies. We have always had them around the holiday. We were not able to find them last year and so far not this year. I saw where you can order them online but am wondering if you have seen them in your stores.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pfeffernusse Cookies

I love them! I made them once but they're a lot of work and you have to make them two weeks ahead of time to get the full flavors. I use to buy Stella Doro's...they're very good but no stores in my area carries them since I moved here 16 years ago. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their pfeffernusse cookies are great!

o

I checked the recipe...I don' t think making them is the major problem, but the number of spices could be expensive! cloves, black pepper, nutmeg, anise seed, cardamom...then candied orange peel (1/4 lb) and citron (1/2 lb??)

o

I don't think they are on the shelves yet this season - wait until closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are SO GOOD!

o

Yuck! LOL!

I remember having them has a kid and thinking "these should not be called cookies" - LOL!

I would probably like them now - but did not like them at all as a young one. The German grandma's all made them. I thought they were pulling a trick on me, trying to get me to eat those nuggets.

o

Many years ago, our German friend shared these with us and DH really liked them. The friend gave us his mother's recipe but I've never used it. I believe that Trader Joe's does carry these.

o

Google lists plenty of sources... including Walmart and Wegmans

o

There are many different versions of them out there and I've tried many of them.......For me, the two best are Stella Doro and Trader Joe's.

o

I have an ancient recipe ( from 50+years ago) that does not take any exotic spices or difficulty to make. I do freeze some of the dough and the baked cookie does improve with a more intense anise flavor when 'cured' for a week or more. I will try to locate it... it's been a few years since making them.

o

Our Tuesday Morning has these in store now. I didn't purchase so I don't remember the brand name.

o

I just bought a box at Trader Joe's two weeks ago.

o

Thank you for your answers. We don't have a Trader Jo's anywhere close. We do have a Tuesday Morning so we will call them in a few weeks and see if they are carrying them. They are a distance away from us. Jim also loves Mincemeat Pie and we were unable to find them in the stores last year. That is his Thanksgiving memories. I did find a jar of Mincemeat in the store and made him a pie. Guess I will have to do that this year.

o

Archway makes them and usually Publix has them before Thanksgiving. Publix also carries them in their bakery but I prefer
Archways. You might check at the bakery - maybe you can order some ahead of time.

o

Betcha World Market carries or will carry them for the holidays.

o

My grandmother always made them for the holidays. She called them Peppernuts.

o

This is the one Christmas cookie my Mom always bought, never made. I think the Archway Company makes them. I don't like them myself, too dry.

o

I love Pfeffernusse cookies too - they only seem to come out at this time of year. Only last week I was able to buy them at my local Aldi store, so maybe you could try there if you have a store nearby.

o

Susan JF - Where did you find the recipe that used both anise and cardamom. I'd like to try that. I found several recipes with either/or but not both spices.

So far I've only found one with the candied peel.

Doesn't this sound like something a diabetic should be cooking? LOL

My kiddos (brothers/nieces/nephews) will love them.

o

Just in case you haven't seen there - both Walmart and Publix have their Archway Christmas Cookie display up this weekend. Picked myself up one box of Pfeffernusse and might get a Gingerbread one next week. Love them this time of year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here