Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Wednesday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 17:08

Good evening, ladies and gents. Hope you've had a good day. We spent the first half of ours at VA. Harry had 3 appointments and, of course, they were scattered all over the place. I sure got my exercise in wheeling him around :-) We got out of there about 12 and went to lunch at Friday's. I love their pecan-crusted chicken salad. It has many different kinds of lettuce with craisins, mandarin oranges, finely chopped pecans, and celery with 3 large pieces of pecan-crusted chicken on top and with balsamic vinigrette. (I know I didn't spell that right.) Harry had shrimp over a risotta-type rice with tons of whole garlic and parmesan. It was really good, too. So no dinner for us tonight. Oh--Harry loves craft beers so he had one called "Big Nose". It was a dark ale, which he loves. I just wouldn't have been able to get past the name.

What are you having for dinner--and please don't make me hungry enough to get in the kitchen tonight. ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Wednesday?

I could not make up my mind what I wanted or where I wanted to eat.

Was seated at Dale's and menu didn't yell out at me, so off I went to the Seafood Market, too pricey for lunch, ended up at Lloyds and told self, it was now 1:30, and I could eat a cow by then, that I was NOT leaving no matter what.

I devoured 5 sea scallops, half a dish of mac and cheese, and a scattering of tiny sliced onion rings.

Brought home the butter peas for another time.

o

Grilled ribeyes, sauteed onions and mushrooms, green salad.

o

It's beautiful here today in Ohio. I'm strongly considering turning on my ac for a little while. Then by the weekend, the highs will start being in the 40s.

I had chicken patties tonight, along with a sweet potato and steamed corn.

Shirley

o

Would you believe I was gone again today? Breakfast at Bob Evan's with the girls. We got 4 meals and divided them up as we ordered two meals of just two blueberry crepes and two large meals. I did not want any crepes but the girls did. I shared my sausage, half my eggs, and half of my hash browns with some of them. I did have french toast. For supper I fixed my Campbell's yellow tomato soup, muenster cheese and saltine crackers and a banana for dessert. I hope I can stay awake to watch Survivor. If I don't someone can update me tomorrow :)

Sue

o

Had a lot of assorted veg. hanging around, so made a pot of vegetable soup. Served it with some homemade pumpernickel I had in the freezer. Not a fancy dinner, but really good and comforting.

o

I'm going to throw two Banquest Sweet and Sour chicken dinners in again. makes a nice quick meal. dont feel like anything heavy.

o

I put rice, chopped onions, carrots and celery in a casserole. Dumped in some rice and some beef broth. Browned a couple of pork chops and laid them on top and baked it.

DH loves it. Broccoli on the side

o

Glenda, you should be a food critic for your local newspaper. You find the neatest places to eat! And you like so many different foods, you'd be perfect!!

Rhizo, now why'd you have to tell me that?? ;0 That makes me pretty hungry.

Shirley, I think you posted your recipe for chicken patties--don't you make them similar to salmon patties? I know I have them saved on my puter and need to try them soon.

Azzalea, homemade pumpernickel?? I can only imagine how good that must be. I just love that stuff! That sounds wonderful with your soup.

Minnie, sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do and I'm right there with you. Some days cooking is a PITA!!

Jasdip, in case he doesn't know it already, you can tell DH he's one lucky man!! That sounds yummy!

o

Patti--it's a fantastic recipe, from an out-of-print bread cookbook from an old German Bakery. Want the recipe? It tastes just the old pumpernickel when I was a kid.

o

I tell you what....those shrooms and onions sauteed in butter with a splash of soy sauce were my favorite part of the meal.

o

Waffles. Easy and quick and not much clean up.

o

Sue, I missed you earlier but I'm glad you had another fun day with the kiddos! Find any good deals in the grocery? We sure don't seem to have many these days.

Azaalea, if it's made in a bread machine I can do it :-) I just never have figured out how long to knead or get that "feel" that it's ready? But, shoot, I'm willing to try for pumpernickel!!

Rhizo, I have to agree with you 100%. Just love that taste!

o

Patti, I'm not a bread machine gal, myself. But perhaps you can adapt this to the machine? I'll give you the recipe as in the cookbook

Grossmutter's Old Country Rye Bread

1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup pumpernickel (or rye) flour
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 cup molasses (or 3 T. brown sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
1 cup water (I use a little less)
1 tablespoon shortening or butter

Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside to let proof for 5 minutes.

Add half the rye flour, half the white flour, the cocoa, molasses, caraway, salt and about 3/4 cup warm water. Beat 5 minutes. Gradually blend in as much of remaining flours as needed to make a soft dough, using dough hook. Continue kneading with dough hook until dough sort of stiffens up and cleans off the sides of the bowl. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until double--about 1 hour. Punch down, shape into a long loaf. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until double--about 1 hour. Slash loaf diagonnally in a few places, brush with slightly beaten egg white mixed with a bit of water. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes.

Your bread machine probably gives instructions for adapting recipes.

I get my pumpernickel flour from the Amish market nearby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here