Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here

Posted by elly_nj (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 17:01

I have always heard such good things about this forum. I wonder if anyone here is in human resources and can advise me whether the memo I received from work is legal. I live in the northeast and there is a hurricane headed our way. I work for an animal shelter 25 miles away.

MEMO TO ALL STAFF
REGARDING THE IMPENDING STORM

I'm sure you have all heard about the impending hurricane that is expected to hit our area Sunday through the first part of next week.

I wanted you to know that *name of shelter* is reaching out to our shelter partners in low- lying and coastal areas to let them know we will assist them in any way we can. We also stand ready to help our local communities and The Morris and Somerset Counties C.A.R.T. teams.

All employees scheduled to work on these days are expected to be on hand to assist in any and all ways possible. This means that even if your electricity is out at home, you will be expected to come to work. Also, be aware that even if you are scheduled to be off, you may be asked to come in. Please dress "down" in comfortable clothes, sneakers, etc. All personnel will be expected to go above and beyond their normal work duties to help in the aftermath in whatever ways are needed.

Emergency generators at both shelters have been checked out, additional gas has been purchased, and they will be up and running should there be a power outage.

Many departments have been assigned "special" duties to make sure we are as ready as possible for the arrival of this storm.

Please unplug all of your electronics before you leave. For most office staff, that will mean that you unplug everything before you leave on Friday. For shelter staff, etc., everything needs to be unplugged when you leave on Sunday.

Thank you, all, for your co-operation,
Head of Human Resources

Note to supervisors: Part time employees do not have e-mail addresses. Please make sure that everyone in your department has seen this memo.

Can they legally fire me if I deem the roads too hazardous to drive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here

First, welcome to KT. We're glad to have you here. I sure hope Sandy goes out to sea and leaves the NE alone!! That looks like a possibility.

As far as work goes, if there are trees and power lines down, there is no way on God's green earth that I'd try to go to work. No job is more important than one's life. Plus, the emergency people will probably post messages on TV telling you NOT to get out on the roads. There may be flooding on the roads or wires down. Plus the more people on the roads, the harder it is for the responders to clean up. Be wise and listen to your heart. Keep us updated on the storm, okay?

o

I would listen to your radio and in many cases, they tell you NOT to travel. I am sure there will be people living closer that can get there. By the way, I noticed that the letter has no signature so who sent it?

o

HMMM is this a city or state job?? I do not think they can demand you do this? My DH was a Peace Officer for 34 years and yes they could order him to come in, but for an animal shelter that does not seem legal. If they need to they can ask people to arrange to stay there 24-72 hours or what ever and make emergency plans that way. Will they be paying people for this???

o

There are people that live closer. But when I lived closer the lines were down and roads underwater in the last October storm. I'm also afraid of leaving home (2 cats at home) and not being able to get back.

The head of Human Resources signed the memo.

o

I think you're going to run into the problem that in NJ, it's the law that there be shelter facilities for pets if people are evacuated. Given that's the case, you're no doubt considered--at least temporarily--emergency personnel, so I think you may find that that IS legal. Emergency personnel are always allowed (expected) to drive in no matter what the weather. I have friends who are nurses, police officers, etc--when you have the kind of job where you're needed in an emergency, you sort of have to be there.

o

This is funny, really. I will abandon my pets to do so.

o

How are they going to prove that there wasn't a tree down making the road impassable over each of the half dozen or so roads, or maybe they were flooded, that you took to try to get there?

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here