SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

New here

Elly_NJ
11 years ago

I have always heard such good things about this forum. I wonder if anyone here is in human resources and can advise me whether the memo I received from work is legal. I live in the northeast and there is a hurricane headed our way. I work for an animal shelter 25 miles away.

MEMO TO ALL STAFF

REGARDING THE IMPENDING STORM

I'm sure you have all heard about the impending hurricane that is expected to hit our area Sunday through the first part of next week.

I wanted you to know that *name of shelter* is reaching out to our shelter partners in low- lying and coastal areas to let them know we will assist them in any way we can. We also stand ready to help our local communities and The Morris and Somerset Counties C.A.R.T. teams.

All employees scheduled to work on these days are expected to be on hand to assist in any and all ways possible. This means that even if your electricity is out at home, you will be expected to come to work. Also, be aware that even if you are scheduled to be off, you may be asked to come in. Please dress "down" in comfortable clothes, sneakers, etc. All personnel will be expected to go above and beyond their normal work duties to help in the aftermath in whatever ways are needed.

Emergency generators at both shelters have been checked out, additional gas has been purchased, and they will be up and running should there be a power outage.

Many departments have been assigned "special" duties to make sure we are as ready as possible for the arrival of this storm.

Please unplug all of your electronics before you leave. For most office staff, that will mean that you unplug everything before you leave on Friday. For shelter staff, etc., everything needs to be unplugged when you leave on Sunday.

Thank you, all, for your co-operation,

Head of Human Resources

Note to supervisors: Part time employees do not have e-mail addresses. Please make sure that everyone in your department has seen this memo.

Can they legally fire me if I deem the roads too hazardous to drive?

Comments (7)