Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone answer this?

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 16:59

I posted this on the knitting and crocheting forum but didn't find an answer that was what I was looking for.

When I was a little girl ( I'm 82 now) my grandmother used to make mitts for the men in her family who were farmers. They were very warm. The cuffs were made with just one strand of yarn but the rest of the mitt was made with two. It looked like salt and papper. She knit the European way, holding the yarn in her left hand and used 4 needles , or 5. I was too young to know anything about knitting, but it seems to me that I remember her doing one row with one color and the next row was one stitch of the one color and the next stitch of the other color. Is that possible? It wasn't just using 2 strands all the way through. Does anyone have any ideas at all?

I'm knitting things for the homeless and for kdis who don't have any mitts for another charitable orginazation. I enjoy this very much
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone answer this?

I have knit mittens where I alternate stitches, two colors, (knit one stitch red, then knit one stitch white, etc.) and the yarns crossing behind give the mitten additional thickness and bulk, and make them nice and warm. I knit the ribbing, and the thumb in just one of the colors though.
This makes them kind of striped. I also have knit one row with these alternating colors, and then next row with just one of the colors, and that makes them look kind of polka-dotted, but still have that extra yarn across the back for the thickness I want.

o

That sounds exactly what I am looking for. I don't think she did the thumbs double either.

How in the world do you hold the yarn to do one stitch with one and the next wih the other? Do you have to pick them up separately for each one? That would be very slow, I think. So happy someone is helping me.

thanks

o

I don't have an answer for you, but you are my role model! :) I am just learning to knit and my goal is to be able to knit mittens, hats and scarves for those in need.

I am trying to finish my first dishcloth and I can't get the K2 thing...instead of decreasing, it increases. grrrr....now I have to wait till the knitting shop opens to get some help.

o

I posted a google link for you to look at it had a lot of places to look at

o

When I tried to go to that link (and I tried twice,) all I got was a blank Google page. What did I do wrong?

o

I don't know if this video will be helpful or not because I'm not a knitter, but I thought I'd link it for you. If this one doesn't help, there seem to be some other videos for double thickness knitting. You can search Youtube with those words to find them. Good luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Video

o

I just clicked on the link and got the page of google links you can get it ny going to google and putting in

knitted mitts for the men in her family who were farmers.

and the page should come up

o

Brioche knitting uses two (or more, depending on the effect you want) strands of yarn (not knitted together, but alternating) for a thicker end product. The book Knitting Brioche by Nancy Marchand is great, and includes some patterns.

o

I can't help you with a pattern, but I can help with knitting with two colors at the same time. I bought a tool that fits on my finger that works well. I'm posting a link to a place that sells them, but you can buy it at many other stores. I think I got mine at Joann's Fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwegian knitting tool

o

I answered over in the knitting forum. I think you mean Sel

Here is a link that might be useful: Selbu Knitting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here