Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dinner Wednesday?

Posted by patti43 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 16:56

Tonight we're having leftover vegetable beef soup. The soup is really good--despite the fact that I forgot to put the onions in it. They were chopped and in the frig--I just forgot. DSD said it didn't need any. Gingerbread for dessert.

What are you having for dinner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dinner Wednesday?

Cheryl and I babysat for Alyssa and so we all had a very late lunch from McDonald's. Burger, fries and a root beer for me. I will not be eating anything for supper. I am busy hulling out and snapping Kentucky Wonder beans to can!

Sue in Central Indiana

o

Microwaves are great! I put a bunch of different leftovers on our plates (sausage, sauerkraut, potatoes, stir-fried veggies) and nuked it. Quick as a wink, and just a couple of plates, and some containers to wash.

o

A bowl of Texas Beans, and a slice of homemade bread with jam.

I too love being able to pull leftovers from fridge or freezer.

Shirley

o

Cheese ravioli at the Broadway Diner. Yummm. Brought enough home for another meal.

o

I did a spin on Nita's Party Bake Pork Chops. Her recipe first, then what I did with it.

Party Bake Pork Chops
Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
4 thin slices onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

How I do it.

I don't brown the chops. I put them in an oblong baking dish and put sliced onions on them and then I rinse my oriental rice (Calrose or Hinode) to remove the talc. It won't hurt if you have a little extra rice. Then I take a large can of whole tomatoes and break them up all over the pork chops. I add some water to the can to get the rest of the juice and then cover with foil and bake. This is delicious served with soy sauce to taste.

Tomato Chicken Bake

4 plump boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) diced tomatoes + 1 can of water
1 or 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
salt and pepper

Season breasts well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Plop into a 13x9 pan. Sprinkle chopped onions over all the chicken. Sprinkle rice over all the chicken. I put the tomato/water in a bowl and mash up a little finer with my potato masher. Add garlic to that sauce. Pour that all over the chicken/rice, covering all. Cover tightly; bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

DH absolutely loved it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here