Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fresh pineapple...

Posted by debn (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 16:51

Who else loves a fresh sliced pineapple? I DO!!! I just got through cutting the outer layer off and slicing it into pieces. I really need to buy me a pineapple corer! I don't remember loving them like this as a child. I guess the older I get(54!) the better I like them. Just seeing them on the counter is enough to make me get busy and cut that baby right up. I love to grill the slices too...brings out that extra sweetness I think.
So...who else likes a juicy, sliced up pineapple?

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fresh pineapple...

I'm with you, Deb! Fresh pineapple is one of my favorites. Canning 'almost ' ruins it for me. I like to add pieces to chicken or pork k-bobs for grilling. But eating just cut is best.

o

They are so tasty, but I have to be very careful because if I eat too much, my mouth will break out in blisters.

o

Like Fun2BHere, if I eat more than one slice, I get blisters, but I really enjoy that one slice! I grew 2 of the sweetest Pineapples this summer - they were SO GOOD!

o

I have one sitting on my counter right now~~~how do I know when it is ready for cutting??

o

For me, the nose knows. There's probably a better way.

o

Beverly hills diet used fresh pineapple have to find my book and buy a pineapple

o

I had some earlier this summer and they were as sweet as could be. I bought one last week, and it wasn't very sweet at all. Hard to tell I guess. I did smell it before I bought it.

I'm afraid of getting cankers so I seldom buy them.

o

4th of July used to be big day at our house.

We always grilled country style pork ribs, fresh pineapple, etc.

I'd cut the pineapple into wedges, then loosen it from the rind, leaving it on the rind We'd then use our steak knives and cut chunks while eating.

Was a tradition.

Once or twice we'd plant the tops and grew beautiful pineapple plants but never lucked out with pineapple.

Did the bag over the tops once they started growing and put inside an apple, but not luck. Fun trying.

o

I love fresh pineapple--but try not to eat too much at a time. It's got the same chemical in it that's in meat tenderizer, and eating too much raw pineapple will tenderize your stomach.

So I eat a little raw, then grill or saute the rest of a pineapple, since I'm the only one in the house who does eat it.

o

I love to eat the core too. I check for ripeness before buying by tugging at the center most leaf on top of the pineapple. If it comes off easily, it is ripe enough to buy. You might want to let it ripen a bit more on the kitchen counter though.

o

I love it, but I usually buy it cut in chunks in the produce department for fruit salad. Harry gets those blisters, too, but not from canned. Thank heavens for that--I can still make Glenda's pineapple casserole!

o

Love it. We eat quite a bit of it, and I like to use it in fruit salad.

o

The best ones I have ever tasted were fresh out of the field on the island of Maui, HI.
Picked for us by the owner of the land.

o

I've been eating quite a bit of pineapple the last few months! When I was PG with baby #2 (she's now 15) I used to eat one every week! It was gone in a day or two and I couldn't wait till the next grocery shopping day to get another LOL.

o

I love fresh pineapple... and really haven't bought one since Bob died..He loved them too.... and grilled pineapple is deliciuous.. I totally concur..

Now I have a yen for some ... got to get to the market this week... oh yeah..

Carolyn

o

I love fresh pineapple... and really haven't bought one since Bob died..He loved them too.... and grilled pineapple is deliciuous.. I totally concur..

Now I have a yen for some ... got to get to the market this week... oh yeah..

Carolyn

o

Here's a home remedy to keep in mind....if you get bitten by a mosquito or spider or stung by an ant, bee, wasp, hornet (or whatever) and just happen to have a fresh pineapple (or some meat tenderizer) handy.....apply either to the bite or sting location within a few moments and you may avoid the swelling, itching, and pain. The enzymes help dissolve the insect toxin.

Sure does work for me!!

o

We both love it I get the sores from it so can not eat much at a time. My husband will eat a bowl full. We buy it at HEB where the lady is there peeling and coring them fresh and bags it for you, you can have a sample so you know it is good.
I always turn the pineapple upside down and push my finger on the center of the bottom and smell if it smells strongly it is ready if you can not smell much put it back. Now don't shove your finger into the pineapple LOL just push.
Do the same method for cantaloupes.

o

I do love it too but seldom buy it. The best pineapple I ever had was in Costa Rica. I think they grow more pineapple than Hawaii these days.

o

The first time I actually ate fresh pineapple was in Hawaii. My husband was on R and R from Viet Nam and I met him there. The pineapple was wonderful and they served lots of it at every meal no matter where we are. We drove out to a farm and ate at the stand...I think it was a dole farm.

o

"It's got the same chemical in it that's in meat tenderizer, and eating too much raw pineapple will tenderize your stomach."

That's got to be one of the most absurd things I've read on this board. ROFL

Would love to see the scientific facts that back that up! Google didn't find any.

o

Great information about the properties in pineapples that cause "tenderizing "

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple enzymes

o

Angelaid, I see no reason to ridicule azzalea for this comment. Her remarks are based on fact.

Like many such legends, it is based on reality. In this example, a great deal of reality. Papain or bromelain are the enzymes found in meat tenderizers. Papain is found in papayas and bromelain is found...guess where....pineapples. Both can cause esophogeal and stomach problems for sensitive people and for anyone who may gobble too much at a time.

Anyone with any hint of ulcers needs to stay away from these enzymes, whether in a commercial tenderizer or in a raw food. Any one planning abdominal surgery needs to avoid them also. Any doctor will tell you that.

She is also correct that it is only the raw food that causes these problems. Cooking or marinating counteracts the powerful dissolving enzymes.

o

I'm not ridiculing anybody. Just the image of a pineapple ring down there "tenderizing" my stomach made me spew coffee. I can see the acidity causing a sensitive reaction in some. Just hit me wrong, that's all. lol

o

I just bought an almost mutantly huge pineapple at Aldi for 1.69. Can't wait to rip into it!

o

That link said that the Bromelain was found mostly in the stem of the pineapple. I have ulcers, healed of course but the doctor never told me to avoid pineapple. Your tongue cells rejuvenate if any are destroyed from eating pineapple. I didn't know about the Bromelain enzyme in pineapple but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying it. I just wish I could eat one from Hawaii or Costa Rica! I bet they are delicious.

Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here