Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Many of You Like Mincemeat Pie?

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 16:15

I am the only one in my family that likes it. However I do not like the stuff that comes in the jar and you pour into your pie crust. I have very fond memories of my Grandma's home made mincemeat, but I do not have her recipe. Do any of you like it and do you make your own? Want to share your recipe?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Many of You Like Mincemeat Pie?

Ick! My GM made her own mincemeat--it had some kind of real meat in it I think and raisins. I think it was all ground up, but I'm not sure. Dreadful stuff, IMHO. I may like it now that I'm older--shoot, I didn't like mashed potatoes back then!

o

We all love mincemeat pie, but the kind that comes in a jar! I always put apples in mine, half mincemeat, half apples, soooo good.

o

I love mincemeat, but I use Cross&Blackwell in a jar for my pies - with a healthy amount of good brandy added.

This link's ingredients sounds like my grandmother's (which she made from memory, not a written recipe).

Nothing like a mince meat pie with butter/brandy sauce on the side.

Here is a link that might be useful: MInce pie filling

o

I absolutely do not like it. I remember when I was around maybe 4-6 years old and we went to our grandparents house for Christmas. Somebody said they had brought mince meat pie. I thought that sounded really good. I finally got a piece and I couldn't even swallow it. It was gross. I have never tasted it again and I have no desire to. That was 50+ years ago. What an impression that made on me. I think that is one of my earliest childhood memories.

We have a single bachelor living on a farm near us. He really likes it. He told me once when his parents left the farm his siblings and he would go down in the basement and open the jars that his mother had canned and eat it right out of the jars.

No thanks not for me

o

My first time trying mincemeat pie, I was a young teenager. We were vacationing in Williamsburg, VA. I remember it was a buffet and I got what I thought was pecan pie. Blech, yuck, spit cough!
My Dad laughed hysterically at my antics....
Never again have I even tried it.

o

I like what comes in a jar. Can't even imagine what the kind with meat in it tastes like.

o

Haven't had it in many a year.

Mother and grandmother would use one of those heavy grinders that you attach to the counter.

I remember liking it.

o

Even as a kid, I loved mincemeat pie. Mom always purchased the Borden's Nonsuch in a jar. I don't know if they even had Cross & Blackwell in our small town stores.

Now, as an adult, I buy Cross & Blackwell. No one else in the family likes it, but I always make a mincemeat pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

o

I remember as a kid on the farm my grandmother used to make 3 or 4 mincement pies for a holiday gathering.

She used to have me turn the old meat grinder,,,,LOL

I don't have Grandmothers recipe...I am sure I could get it from my Mother but she is 600 miles away and that would take a week or two...

In the mean time, I found a mincemeat recipe listed on a website tht was taken from an antique cookbook at Old STurbridge Village (Jan and I have an annual membership and OSV is one of my absolute favorite places to go) This recipee gives the complete details of how to make the real deal mincement, starting with raw meat......

here is the web address:

http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/thanksgiving/a/aamincemeat.htm

o

Mincemeat pie is my favorite of all pies and has been all my life. i used to use the cross and blackwell mincemeat, also. but, now, since i am the only one who eats it, i just buy a mrs. smith's frozen pie every thanksgiving and christmas.

o

Haven't had it in years. Used to enjoy just a small slice of it but as I recall no one else in the family cared for it.

o

I haven't had it in years either. When I was a little girl it was a staple for the holiday.One year I used a jar in the turkey stuffing and it was a big hit

o

I love it .

o

A step aunt made a mincemeat pie with meat in it and I thought it tasted great.
I still love the flavor of mincemeat pies without the meat, jarred stuff, but can't stand to bite into the raisins.
It is a textural thing.

o

My sister in law's mom used to make it then make pies. Remember it was SO GOOD! But she was from Nova Scotia and did not use any meat. Spices were from Canada

o

I am the only one in my family that loves it..

o

I hate mincemeat. Even canned. Or home-made. My Grandma gave Mom her recipe, it had real suet "meat fat" in it. Yuck!

o

I have never had it, and wasn't even sure what it was. Have perhaps thought it was some sort of pie made with nuts... I clicked on Monica's link and read the recipe, and now I know I have missed nothing! Suet??? Really???

Elisabeth

o

My mother loved it and made her own, but I have never cared for it and didn't pay any attention to how she made it or what she put in it...but she loved a lot of things I didn't eat...like souse meat...whatever that is, hog head cheese, and calf brains and eggs.

o

I also love mincemeat. I make it like Bigack does. I finely dice apples and use a jar of Bordens and combine the apples with the jarred mincemeat. Such a wonderful cinnamon smell too!
Joann

o

Hubby loves it. I've never made it. He hasn't had it since he was a child. An elderly woman DH was doing some work for last year was making a dozen mincemeat pies for some church thing. She sent home a big tub of the filling for me to make a pie for DH. I came home from work the next day with a pie crust. DH sheepishly admitted he had already eaten all of the filling. LOL

o

I do love it, one of my favorite pies, I also like rubarb pie, another one few like... My sister likes mincemeat as well no others in the family, so we usually go to Marie Calenders sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and enjoy a piece of mincemeat pie....

o

I remember liking it, but it has been a very long time since I have had any. I do have a jar of mincemeat in the pantry I was going to make some filled cookies and one time and now do not know where the recipe is.

o

Oh, I love the idea of adding chopped apples. What kind of apple do is used: McIntosh, Delicious - what. I want to try this.

o

I always use a big Granny Smith but any apple suitable for baking would do..mcintosh would be fine..delicious is only for eating out of hand I think. Since I always use Granny Smith when I bake I don't know with allo the new varieties which are best for baking. If the Granny is very tart you can add more sugar. It's nice because the jar of mincemeat by itself isn't enough to fill a 9 inch pie shell but the apple added in makes a nice amount.
Joann

o

I love mincemeat but we usually make tarts instead of pies. I also make a really good easy to make fruit cake that uses a jar of mincemeat and glace fruit and nuts. I am really picky though and stay away from store brand jars of mincemeat

Anne

o

I love it. I also add a chopped up apple and some raisins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here