SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Here It Comes Again -- Choosing Medigap & Part D Policies

chisue
9 years ago

Gah! It seems like only yesterday that we had to wade through all of this for 2014 coverage. The push is on for Seniors to choose Medicare supplement (Medigap) policies and drug policies (Part D) for 2015.

I've just spent some 'quality time' with www.medicare.gov to see and compare what's available in our area. Surprise! Everything is a little more than it was last year...but not the quantum leap of years past. I believe Medicare Part B will be the same $105/mo. it was for this year.

DH's former employer has an insurance exchange that will also help us compare plans, and the company's HRA will help pay for them. (Last week we reached zero balance in our HRA stipend for 2014. October, November and December premiums will be out of pocket.)

I expect we will stick with Plan F High Deductibles for the Medigap policies and separate Part D's. DH's med costs put him in the 'donut hole' (where you pay more) by the middle of the year...but he never *quite* reaches the nearly-free-meds third stage.

Nasty to have to buy insurance only to obtain a little markdown on grossly overpriced meds. Will we ever see Single Payer in America?

Have you started your homework? Enrollment runs Oct. 15 - Dec. 7.

Comments (17)