Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tipped the WalMart greeter, today!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 15:53

Got all the way to my car, leaving WalMart, and pressed the button on the car door, and nothing happened.

Reached for the keyless remote in my purse and NO purse! duh

Quickly went back into the store, saw the greeter and told him I left my purse in the cart.

Told me he had found it and took it to the service counter.

Yea for him!

Pulled out a bill and pressed it in his hand and thanked him.

Been there done that before, but not in a long time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tipped the WalMart greeter, today!

I know how grateful you must have been but was surprised the greeter would take anything. Maybe he/she was just caught off guard.

o

If they wont take it DH lets it drop on the floor in front of them and they have to pick it up Good on you Glenda (that's why Iwear a fanny pack all the ime )

o
RE: Tipvvvped the WalMart greeter, today!

I handed it to him, and he refused.

I then placed it in his hand that was down by his side and he took it. No one saw THEN :o)

o

No more greeters at my WalMart - I miss them!!!

o

Also a nice letter to the manager would be appreciated.

o

Good on you, Glenda! Well, not good about forgetting your purse in the cart, but you did the right thing for the greeter who so honestly turned it in. Makes me happy to hear about BOTH of you.

o

They dont have the greeters who used to check in your bag for return or get you a cart anymore at my WM's but they do have an employee near the door inside a way back who sits or stands and wil answer ?? or greet you.

o
RE: Tipbbbped the WalMart greeter, today!

They don't check returns, here, anymore, but they do stand inside the entrance.

o

Glenda, you're such a kind soul!

WalMart employees could lose their job over accepting tips. Sad but true.

A WalMart employee helped my husband out when his work truck broke down. She lent him her personal van so he could finish his day before I got there with a replacement. He filled up her gas tank without her knowing (until she left for the day).

o

Good job glender!
Personally, I love the Wal-Mart greeters!

o

I miss the greeters. I thought WalMart did away with them.

o
RE: Tipbbped the WalMart greeter, today!

They did away with the greeters that were right inside the door, who scanned your returns and put a sticker on them, where the carts are.

Those are gone, but we have one that stands inside right as you enter the main part of the store.

o

No greeter at our WalMart, either. They have a sign saying take returns to customer service. And if the thing goes off when someone is on the way out, no one even comes over. The losses must be taking a big jump, you'd think more than they pay the greeters.

o
RE: Tipnnnnped the WalMart greeter, today!

We take our returns to the service desk, without having to stop at a greeter, now, but we still have someone at the door saying "hello" and offering directions, etc.

o

Glenda, sure glad you got your purse back. What a scare!

The talk about greeters made me think of the Wal-Mart in Clayton, Georgia where we'd shop in the mountains. Those people were trained like the original greeters and actually said, "Welcome to Wal-Mart" to every customer and also help with you get a cart. It always made me think how Sam Walton would've been so proud of them. Not too sure he'd approve much of the "new" WM.

o

So that's why the cashier was upset with the older gentlemen just inside the door entrance the other day. I thought he was a greeter when I came in. As I waited for the cashier to ring up my purchases, the alarm went off that someone's bag needed checking. No one did anything. The customer just stood there with an amazed look on her face, "I paid for this, I really did, see? here's the receipt!" The cashier called over for her to just go on, ignore the alarm. It kept sounding. The cashier turned to me and growled, "Look at Joe (greeter) standing over there. He's the highest paid employee in the store and doesn't have to do a thing! He does NOTHING!". Joe must have been doing what he was told, but she was visibly upset.

So no one checks returns anymore either? Is it true the greeters get such a good wage??

o

I don't think the greeters are the highest paid, perhaps Joe has just been there for a long time and that's why he receives more pay.

We don't have greeters anymore either. :-(

o
RE: Tipped thvvve WalMart greeter, today!

No one checks the returns. You have to take them to the service desk.

o

But no one checks for shop-lifters, either, Glenda. Even if the alarm goes off. Seems people can just walk off with stuff.

o

Only one store near me has a greeter. A friendly guy inside the doors of Bed Bath and Beyond.

o

Two of the stores by us still have greeters that will scan your returns. One just remodeled to a SuperCenter. The third store near me is such a chaotic nightmare, I haven't been there in years!

I'd say about 90% of the stores I go into don't blink an eye when the alarm near the door goes off. If it's me, then I stand and look around for someone to come check. When no one goes, I just keep walking-I know I haven't taken anything :)DH used to have a cell phone that set off certain alarms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here