Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GardenWeb needs your feedback!

Posted by gwAnnouncements (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 15:46

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey
GardenWeb Community Manager

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GardenWeb needs your feedback!

Would like some forums combined such as Household Finances and Money Saving Tips, Diet, Excerise,& Nutrition, Health,
Care Givers, Grieving, etc. also Would like to see some forums that have very little activity either combined into others or removed. Also would like someway to block dates, that is when a posting is over a year old, either remeove the postings or block so no new additions can be made. Hope others have good suggestions and thank you.
Marie

o

Tamara-

I'd love it if there was a way to organize the results from a search, especially by date.

-Robin

o

Would love to be able to edit my personal post. Correct spelling, etc.

o

An EDIT option.

o

I think what I like the best is that when a person posts to a thread, it brings that thread back to the top.

Shirley

o

1. I'd like to be able to stay logged in permanently. (I'm not cleaning out my cookies, so this isn't on my end.) Every few days I have to log in, which is very annoying.

2. An "edit" feature would be nice.

Been here since the KT started and love it. Keep up the great work, Tamara.

o

Yes, I would like to stay logged in also.
We need a better photo uploader that will make the photos not so large. Edit feature also.
And...........I would love for those green vibrant links to be gone!

o

The ability to delete our own posts

o

I wish there was a way to hover over the post to read the first few words.

o

I would love to be able to upload an image file from my IPad. I would also love a mobile app.

o

I would like to just encourage everyone to include in their profile, at least a reference to where they are located. "United States" covers a lot of territory.

I think Editing could be really confusing.

Sue

o

Would love the ability to change our user name, even if only once, without having to jump through hoops, changing the 'first registered' date (which already happened once when we went to a paid membership) and email address. Why? Because now that much of my web time is on an iPhone, it is cumbersome to type long user names (like mine) on a tiny keypad each time I get logged out.

Keeping the original registration date might not seem like a big deal but I've noticed over the years people being treated with suspicion because they appear to have just joined when in fact they simply forgot their password and created a new account. Granted, there are spammers who pop in from time to time blasting their product throughout GW the day they sign up but it really doesn't happen often, at least in the forums I frequent.

Other than that, and the serious need for a better search engine, I love GW and THS. Thank you for bringing so many wonderful people together. I'd be lost without my KT friends.

Jodi-

o

Thanks for asking! I would also like to be able to resize photos without going to another site to do that, then coming back. Also get RID of those ads that drop down and block your view. I only see them once in a while but we all hate them!

o

I'd like the huge pop ups to be gone!
This is the only web site that I have
trouble with them. You know that huge
one that covers 3/4 of the page and
makes the rest of the page all blurry!!
Please just make them go away!

o

I agree with Sue_va that editing could be really confusing. It could really make threads not make sense. I've always wondered about the wishes for editing capablities. We already have that. Isn't the "Preview Message" our opportunity to edit? We get to read through what we typed and decide if we want to change it BEFORE we post it. That's much better than after, IMO.

Tamara, thank you for offering us this chance to ask for features. I will be happy with a better search engine.

o

On several of the forums I am on we have a limited edit option, due to the nature of assisting with computer problems, you can edit a post if A. No one has posted directly after the post yet. B. A time limit of 5 minutes, if you try to edit after the 5 minute period has elapsed it will not be allowed.
This works very well. Allowing posts to be deleted after being posted causes too many problems, the preview should be sufficient.

Putting the direct link back to the forum after posting would be helpful rather than having to scroll down several lines to find it. It was at one time directly below the posting /reply box which was much easier, now it is significantly farther down the page.

o

an edit option.

o

In another forum I go to you can hold the curser over the title and briefly it will give you the first two lines so you know if you are interested in reading the whole post. It also tells you how many people actually read and answered the post plus it has an editing feature. A lot I know but very nice.

o

If a member has info in their member profile showing their Location and/or Garden Zone, I'd like it to be shown whenever the member makes a post on The Home Site Forums, just as it shows on The Garden Forums.

I'd like to see the OP have the ability to lock or close a thread to further replies. I'd also like to see threads that are quite old (suggestions here?) being automatically locked by GW.

Sue

o

I would like an "agree" option that you can check at the bottom of a post. much like FB does.

o

I would like an "agree" option that you can check at the bottom of a post. much like FB does.

o

I can't think of anything, really.

Editing and deleting posts have been mentioned. I've been on forums where these things are allowed and there are messages missing, due to deletion, and information missing in postings due to editing.

In the case of confrontation, a poster may want to delete the part of the message that has upset people, which makes the whole thread confusing, with these key parts missing.

I agree, the Preview page is where you make corrections. We don't need one afterwards.

o

I don't understand why anyone wants MORE opportunity to edit. Doesn't everyone have the chance to copyread a post before clicking on "Submit"? How many chances would be enough? LOL

My only (non E-literate) complaint is that the 'signal' seems weak for GardenWeb. For instance, I never have trouble loading Trip Advisor forums, but do have some 'drops' when loading GardenWeb pages.

o

Yes, 'PREVIEW" is our edit.

I would like a more refined search. Maybe when the post was started, I'm not sure how they show up now. It seems random. Does it have to do with the date that the last person posted? And if we can search for a post that was posted the same day. It seems that we have to wait for a day?

The advertisements keep the forum free.

o

Allow posting a reply soon after you've already posted. I and many others don't have a problem with adding an extra space in the subject line, but there are some folks who totally mess up the entire subject line and it's annoying. I can see limiting the number of follow-up posts that someone can make without others posting, too, but please allow one or two follow-ups.

o

Thanks for asking, Tamara. I'd like to see the floating ads disappear, along with the drop down ad. I understand ads are necessary, but those are extremely annoying. Also the recent one that dims the whole screen before it pops up and blocks the entire page.

I also like Lindsey_CA's suggestion of being able to post again on a thread soon after we have done so. I would be nice to be able to answer a question someone has asked me right after I post something without having to change something in the subject line or wait for others to post before I can answer.

What I LIKE is the format. Please don't change it! This is the easiest forum set up for me to read. Even tho I belong to other forums on other sites, this is so simple. I don't like the way other sites have them set up. This is where I spend most of my time. And I like the new photo option!

Tami (Who is also a Tamara!)

o

Yes, I agree with loving being able to upload photos directly from my comp, but hope you can make it so the size is smaller.

o

I too love this format!!! It's so easy to read and find the posts, and it's so clean-looking. GW has the easiest forum to use and read, IMO.

I'd like to have the picture stay "attached" when you type your message. If I have to change the message, before posting, then I have to re-attach the picture. I have to consciously remember to type first, then attach the picture.

o

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Tamara

o

Hey Tamara, I checked using my Android Honeycomb tablet and everything seems to work fine. I will try my cell phone and my MEPIS Linux later and let you know.

Glad to know we didn't succeed in breaking the editing tool!!

Again thanks Tamara!

o

I love many of these forums, thank you for a job well done. A lot of the other forums I go to you can hold the curser over the title and it will give you the first two lines so you know if you are interested in reading the whole post. It also tells you how many people actually read and answered the post.

o

I think someone mentioned having GW resize a photo so you can post it That woud be nice

o

"What I LIKE is the format. Please don't change it! This is the easiest forum set up for me to read. Even tho I belong to other forums on other sites, this is so simple. I don't like the way other sites have them set up. This is where I spend most of my time. "\

This. Please don't change the format. I've been here since '98, and this is still my favorite site--easy to read and post. Thanks for the edit option!

o

PLEASE make a maximum size allowed for attachments! Too many people absolutely refuse to downsize their gigantic photos or graphics and it screws everyone else. Sometimes when people won't do it, it has to be done for them. Can always have it link to a separate page if someone wants to look at it in a larger format.

o

A like button, when you do not necessarily want to comment on a post, but would like to acknowledge it.

o

I dont think I saw this, but I would like the ability to comment directly to another users comments in a thread...not at the bottom and call out the user 20 comments above it.
It is too much scrolling back and forth to try and figure things out sometimes.
I am sure there is a term for this, I just dont know it.

How about a spell check?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here