Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It has to be the shampoo!

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 15:40

Been using White Rain shampoo for many many years, and washing hair every 5 days. That changed, then need to wash every 3 days, cause my scalp felt dirty and hair with a heaviness.

NOW it's every other day, duh!

I'm not THAT active, and thinking maybe the composition of the shampoo has changed.

So I bought a new brand of shampoo, and fixing to wash.

Will see if it's the shampoo.

OR my mind!
Has that ever happened to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It has to be the shampoo!

Yes definitely, I have so many half empty bottles of shampoo, I just start mixing them. I think after so long using the same shampoo you get a build up. I'm an every day shampoo'er, otherwise I get the flat head.

o
RE: It has to be the sccchampoo!

I'm a wash 'n wear person.

Only shampoo on my hair, no conditioners, no hair spray.

o

Yes...yes...and yes! You and I are the same age, Glenda and we both have a healthy head of snow white hair that we keep similarly cropped....although mine is naturally curly. I thought I was over-reacting to stress when this same situation first started with me. Then I discovered that the shampoo I was using at the time had changed its formula. I've now resorted to a natural sulfur based shampoo that's working quite nicely. When I run out and substitute anything else...all the previous problems return so I keep a back-up supply of this particular shampoo in stock. It's called Jason Dandruff Shampoo and I buy it in my local health food store. I don't have dandruff but I've found this particular shampoo keeps my scalp in terrific condition as well as the texture of my hair. Using Jason, I shampoo about every 5 - 6 days when I'm not excessively active.

I also gave some thought to the fact that I may have had a hormonal problem [even at the tender young age of 73] that caused the previous problem...but Jason's seems to have taken care of it all. ;-)

Good luck with your new shampoo.

Anne

o

Glenda, I did a search and it looks like White Rain shampoo changed its formula in 2010. Don't know if that could have caused what you have experienced.

o
RE: It has to be the shavvvvmpoo!

Thanks Petaloid!

I had a feeling.

I tried to compare the new shampoo with the White Rain, but the print was too small to read at the store.

My hair is now washed.

Will see! Hope I can go lonhrt than every other day.

o

I have had several hair salons tell me that a person should change their shampoo frequently. I do that. I like certain tree tea oil shampoos, and one with Emu oil made in Minn

o

I change shampoos every bottle, don't notice any problems. But my main thing I use is conditioner, otherwise my fine and curly hair is impossible. And by "fine" I mean skinny, not good.

o

I buy whatever shampoo is on sale and add a tablespoon of Tea Tree Oil - hair is soft and shiny and feels tingly - LOVE IT!

o

Kay, where do you buy the tea tree oil? Daughter is a beautician and she used it one time when I got a haircut and I loved it, but haven't been able to find just the tea tree oil by itself. The next time I went back for another hair do she had used it all up and said the supply house was out when she went. It smelled so good and the tingle reminded me of Sea-Breeze.

o

What shampoo do you use to be able to wait 5 days?
If I don't wash mine every other day I can't do a thing with it.

o

I've been using White Rain for many years and I could go 5 days, but then it went down to three past year or so and most recently to every other day.

I got a feeling it might be the shampoo.

I'll know by Thursday.

o

I wash my hair daily and I have been using a solid shampoo by Lush Cosmetics.......been using it for a couple of years.
It does a great job and smells wonderful, too. And it travels well.
I cannot imagine going 5 days between shampoos, especially since I go to the gym several times a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solid Shampoo by Lush Cosmetics

o

Oh me, the 5 days was a while back. Hope this doesn't become an issue here.

My hair is not oily, never has been. So 5 days between shampooing was normal.

I used to have a standing weekly appointment long time ago to get my hair washed and set.

But lately, as I say, changed to 3 days and now every other day.

o
RE: It hnnnas to be the shampoo!

My QUESTION was regarding if the composition of the shampoo had changed, not how often a person shampoos their hair.

And it was found that White Rain had changed in 2010.

o

I bought some "shimmer lights" at Sally's that was supposed to high light the gray. I couldn't wash it out...it felt heavy and dirty, even after I had rinsed it repeatedly.

o

Lizzann, is there a Sally's Beauty supply near you? I am not affiliated with them or with the following products! There is a Paul Mitchell Generic Tea Tree Shampoo and a conditioner. I use the shampoo all the time. It's also a shampoo that removes build up from other hair products. I am finding a lot of shampoo formulas have changed. I was using Herbal Essance for years, then they changed it a few years ago. I could use one scent only. then this spring, I was using a new bottle of it and my scalp started itching something terrible. I switched back to the Tea Tree and the itching went away.

Hope your new shampoo workd for you Glenda!

o

Please don't spend the money to buy TT shampoo and conditioner! Go to Walmart or CVS or Walgreens and it's near the alcohol. Mix the TT oil into your products, making it the strength that suits your needs. It runs about $5 for a 4 ounce bottle.

o

When I was a little girl living in the clean country air, I shampooed about every 5 days.

Now I shampoo every day.

I think the air is dirtier now.

o

You can also find tea tree oil near the facial-care products, and if you shop at organic-type stores (like Whole Foods or maybe Trader Joe's), they usually have it there, too.

I wonder why manufacturers change the "recipe" for things like shampoo ...

o

I wash my hair a few times a week, but not every day. I also try to use the more natural shampoos as the regular ones are full of stuff I don't want on my skin.

I also like the tea tree oil!

o

5 days without washing your hair? Seriously? How do you sleep on it that long without it looking all wonky? But then maybe it does.
I'd feel so gross if my hair went that long without being clean.
To each his own I guess.

o

I used to wash my hair every day, but, on the advice of a friend, tried Costco's Kirkland Moisture Shampoo and conditioner and immediately noticed a difference. The bottles are purply colored, huge and are about $8.99 each which is a real deal. They claim it's vegan too. Now I can wash my hair about every 5 days. That is truly great, because I have such a back problem that drying my hair is an ord3eal Highly recommend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here