Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Search No Longer Works! Help!

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 15:36

I use FireFox and my search (which WAS Google) is in the top right corner. The box is still there and I can type in it, but when I click the magnifying glass or the ENTER key....it just sits there! Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Search No Longer Works! Help!

Sometimes things seem to freeze up on me and I restart my computer.

Try it and see if that works.

o

Nope...didn't work!:(

o
RE: My Search No Lobbbnger Works! Help!

How about restoring?

o

Are you seeing the Google icon on the left side of the searchbox?

Have you tried using Google search in another browser, such as Internet Explorer?

Does the Searchbox work for other searches when you choose another one from the dropdown box arrow, ie Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon, etc?

o

Chemocurl..the Google icon isn't there. There are no Searches in the dropdown box. I haven't tried it in another browser.

o

Ok...see the link below. Maybe it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the search bar google search engine missing

o

Look for the little arrow that points down, next to where the google icon used to be. You'll see a list of sites. Choose Google and it will appear in the search box again. Mine somehow got changed to Twitter, which was pretty useless.

o

Looks like I have NO Searches! :( No idea why.

o

Looks like I have NO Searches! :( No idea why.
Oh dear! When you click on the drop-down arrow, do you at least see Manage Search Engines and then the option Get more Search Engines ?

o

Yes...I see that and found Google (default), but it won't install...says it already exist.

o

ok then select another as your default like maybe yahoo, let that get set, close firefox completely, open it again and now go back to where you made that selection and see if now you can select google as your default and it sticks you may need to close firefox again after you select google to make it stick.
Try that.

o

Danged...not sure how or why, but Google(Default) is back up there! :/

o

YAY!

o

on the manage search engines option that you see are you able to click on the reset defaults button at the bottom of that box?

Not sure about your above reply did you try what I had suggested?

o

I don't see a reset default option!

o

First off is it working now or still not I am not sure by what you said about google being back???? If not proceed with the below options.

Have you done this?
ok then select another as your default like maybe yahoo, let that get set, close firefox completely, open it again and now go back to where you made that selection and see if now you can select google as your default and it sticks you may need to close firefox again after you select google to make it stick.
Try that.

Please try to answer directly to each suggestion and question so we know exactly what has been tried and what results we are seeing.

What version of firefox are we working with? up top click help then about firefox to see the version. 16.0.1 is the latest if you do not have that please hit the check for updates button and get the latest update.

On the top search bar where your search box is click on the small downward arrow next to the icon and then select the manage search engines option at the bottom. When that box opens look down at the bottom left corner do you see a button that says restore defaults if so click it.

Please respond to each of these suggestions and tell what happened on each.

o

RC..it is working fine now. The GOOGLE icon is back and everything.

When I clickon the downward arrow and then Manage Search Engines, there is no option to "restore defaults". See?

o

ah yes it is there but not able to use, that means you are already at the default setting, if the default has been changed by something then that option becomes clickable.

Excellent I am happy to hear it is all well and good now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here