Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reccipes for Spinach - Week 3 October 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 15:13

Please excuse me if I have already posted this subject; can't access my crazy desktop where that info is located. Regardless, many like to serve a spinach dish (we certainly do) during the holidays so that is the subject for this week.

Stouffer's Spinach Souffle Copycat

Serves 6

2 T melted margarine or butter
2 T flour
1 cup milk
1/2 t salt
Dash pepper
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 10-oz pkg chopped frozen spinach, cooked and the water squeezed out)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or a good Gruyere cheese)
1/4 cup minced onion
3 egg whites

Melt butter; blend in flour. Gradually blend in milk; add salt and pepper; slowly stir in beaten egg yolks. Add spinach, then cheese.

Saute onion in a little additional butter and add to above.

Beat egg whites and fold into above.

Turn into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Place casserole in oven in pan of hot water.

Bake at 350F for 50 minutes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reccipes for Spinach - Week 3 October 2013

No recipe, but one of my favorites is to saute' some mushrooms in butter, add to a big bowl of fresh spinach. Add a little of my favorite Italian salad dressing to the pan, toss in a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, heat that all up and pour over the spinach and mushrooms and toss. Yum!

o
RE: Reccipes for Spinach - Week 3 October 2013

I got this recipe here back in the 90's from Sharon, I think. It makes a lot, but I have half a dozen friends that want jars when I make it.

Pa. Dutch Bacon Dressing

Homemade Sweet & Sour Bacon Dressing
Fry 1lb. bacon in heavy pot till crisp. Drain & break into tiny pieces-not crumbled! Pour out half the grease-leave rest in pot.
ADD:
5 eggs (beaten with a spoon)
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
MIX WELL.
ADD:
1 cup flour
5 tsps dry mustard
MIX WELL-use slotted spoon or whisk
ADD:
2 1/2 cups CIDER vinegar
5 cups water-Mix till well blended.

* Heat on medium-stirring often, but not constantly, as this lowers the cooking temperature.
In about 15-20 minutes, mixture will begin to thicken. Make sure you scrape sides of pot & the bottom-often-don't let burn!
* Once it is as thick as a medium gravy-remove from heat, and add bacon and 2 TBS margarine or butter.
DRESSING WILL THICKEN AS IT COOLS.

Excellent on Spinach Salads, Baked Potatoes, or just lettuce. Really good if you microwave a serving for 30 seconds or till just warm.

o
RE: Reccipes for Spinach - Weeks 3 & 5 October 2013

I have been unavailable to post recipes so will continue with the spinach recipes.

Here is one from Gardenweb's CindyMac; it is quite good.

SPINACH MADELEINE
When Kraft stopped making the roll of jalapeno cheese that was originally used in this dish cooks tried various substitutions. I tried it with cheddar cheese and jalapenos, and then with Monterey Jack and jalapenos. Neither worked as well as the Hot Mexican Velveeta. CindyMac@gardenweb
2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup vegetable liquor
4 ounces Velveeta Mexican Hot Cheese, cubed into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
coarse salt to taste
Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and reserve liquor.
Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until soft. Add garlic for 30 seconds then add flour, stirring until blended and smooth. Add liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. When thick, add cheese and seasonings. Stir until melted.
Combine with cooked spinach and place in a casserole dish. (I use a glass pie pan or a similar shallow dish.) Top with breadcrumbs; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling hot.

It's one of my favorite side dishes with most any meal. beverlyal@gardenweb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here