SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Have you ever met any celebrities?

softball_80
12 years ago

I don't mean passing one on the street, I mean speaking to one, even for a minute, maybe getting an autograph or picture. For me it was Norm Abram (autograph) and the late Harry Kalas (short conversation).

Yours?

Comments (55)

• chisue
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

marilyn_sue -- Dusty? And her sisters? Wasn't Dusty Dale Evans' *horse*?

DH was visiting friends in Wyoming with his mom while the movie "Shane" was being filmed. He met Alan Ladd and others in the film. (My family and DH's had mutual friends who owned a ranch in Jackson Hole; their neighbor boy doubled for Brandon DeWilde in riding scenes.)

President Truman met me. My mother and I were walking along Michigan Avenue in Chicago when the President approached from the opposite direction. He stopped to admire little me (and of course speak to my mother, who was of voting age - lol).

DH was a young Andy Frain usher at the Democratic convention in Chicago, standing next to Mayor Daley when the fracas broke out in Grant Park. Years later he and Da Mare shared a photo op as the IBM building was topped out.

DH and I met Alex Haley ("Roots" author) at a breakfast in Milwaukee. We once followed the sound of a familiar voice to a lounge at Villa d'Este in Italy and found...Alfred Hitchcock. (Do you remember hearing, "Good Eeeevining, ladies and gentlemen," at the start of his TV mystery shows?)

I was reporter and girl-of-all-work at my hometown weekly newspaper when the TV show "Route 66" came to town to film. I interviewed the actors and a producer -- and have the clippings to prove it.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

I met the actor Don Defore a really long time ago when I was taking modeling lessons and we had a job where he was the feature d actor.

Another time about 20 years ago Pavoroti came to the U of Miami (Fl) to give a Master class. Nice man I took a lot of photos that day and they never came out in the developing. Long before our digital cameras.
    Been within arms reach of several

• Related Discussions

Have you ever found any unedible in the edible Like a NAIL!!

Q

Comments (34)
    Oh yuck yuck yuck YUCK! Some of these are so awful! I found a rusty metal and plastic part in a Diet Coke from McDonald's once. It had fallen off of the fountain drink machine. I just brought it up and showed them, and they said "Oh, thanks". I should have swallowed it and sued. ;) I once found a rag baked into an english muffin. Found a stick in a bag of chips. Claude found staples in a hamburger from Harveys. A couple of years ago (I shouldn't admit this), the kids and I were staying in a hotel because Claude was out of town for a few days on a business trip and our house had recently been broken into and I didn't want to stay home alone..... Anyhow, we went out to A&W for supper. It was an A&W and Country Style Donuts all in one. I was eating my burger and I felt something hard on my tongue. I picked it out and it was a piece of bone or tooth or something. I was SO grossed out. I brought it up to the cash and showed the woman working. She was incredibly apologetic, and said she'd send it off to their head office to have it analyzed. She went way over the top sucking up. She refunded our meal and gave us coupons for future meals, brought Sophie for a tour of the back of the restaurant, gave the kids suckers and A&W mugs and stickers, and let Sophie fill up a box of a dozen donuts. I kept saying that all that wasn't nescessary - I just wanted to let her know. But she was very insistant, so I thought "Well hey, why not?" On our way back to the hotel, arms laden with free goodies, I noticed that a big piece of one of my teeth was missing. It had been cracked before (Ben sapped my calcium when I was pregnant, I think), and I had chipped a small piece out already. It's not even like I had chipped it on something I ate - it must have just sort of plopped off while I was eating the burger. I was SO embarrassed when I realized. I should have gone back to tell her, but I just couldn't.
    ...See More

Have you ever met anyone of the opposite sex who scared you?

Q

Comments (6)
    Many times. I have had men follow me from store to store in the mall. I have had men follow me while I'm walking my dog. In my previous home, there was a neighbor that did this. I knew he knew where I lived, so this bothered me more than when it was random men, I would just keep walking around until they gave up and went away rather than lead them home. I have had men physically block me from walking away from them (say, in a bar I'm at the bar getting drinks for me and friends, he will position his body to block me from walking away). When I was a waitress, I had a customer (not a regular, even, someone I'd never met before) ask me for a ride somewhere else after work. I declined. When he left, he hung around in the parking lot (this was at midnight when we were closing) until the owner went out there and made him leave. I once had a regular obscene phone caller. He would sometimes call early in the morning while I was asleep, so I was kind of groggy trying to figure out who was calling. One of those times, I asked who is this, he gave a name (steve or something), I said who, he said we met at a gas station (he described the one near my house) and I gave him my number. Never happened, and it worried me he'd picked a spot so near to where I lived that we had supposedly met... did he know where I lived? As far as I know, I've never had someone actually follow me in my car. I'm not afraid to go out alone, but I'm sure there are plenty of men who have been offended because I will walk away from someone I feel is being overly familiar and starting to invade boundaries. And I'm also quite sure most of them don't mean any harm, but most men, have not had similar experiences with women (and the ones who have, probably haven't been by someone a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier than them) and don't understand that there ARE plenty of men out there who are scary and threatening and we have reasons to be wary. Especially younger guys, I think older ones have in many cases heard enough stories from wives, girlfriends, and female friends to get it a little bit.
    ...See More

Have you ever told yourself.. "I'm not buying any more Adeniums."

Q

Comments (18)
    Rick, The last 4 are Tracy's trees. The others I got from a collector in Florida. The pool just has regular screen around it but it blocks out about 50% of the sun. Which is a good thing in Florida. You can tell the difference as soon as you walk outside the screen on the concrete pad. Todd, The babies are in leftover gritty (poultry grit, Turface, Pine Bark Fines) mix that I already had made up with pea gravel on the top. The last 4 are in a mix of GS2, Course Perlite or Pumice, Fir Bark or Coco Chips. I think the BigF is my favorite.
    ...See More

Rina! Have you ever seen..any...?

Q

Comments (1)
    Not real plant, just photos. I am sure it will be great looking soon. That is quite a plant for just $10 - even on clearance. I still have one that came from you :)
    ...See More
  • cwnev
    12 years ago

I have met Don McLean several times, many autographs and my picture with him. I have met Jim Brickman last year. Autograph and photo. I have met several of the player in the band Boston back in the 90's. Several autographs and a pick from Cosmo... DH had drinks with Brad Delp. Has and autograph guitar from Tom Sholes.

I played ping pong on my cruise right next to Phylis Diller and handed her the ball when it came over to me... said hello. Very nice lady. Didn't bug her for autograph like so many others did.

Met Billy Gilman when he was performing before his voice changed. He was really cute, autograph.

Not sure but I know there were others. Don was/is my favorite though. Very nice man.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

Met Jimmy Dean (who was a friend of my father's) and Patsy Cline when I was young. Also, Wayne Newton, Cal Smith (country singer), Ted Williams, several politicians (living and deceased). I worked with three Surgeons General: C. Everett Koop, Antonia Novello and Joycelyn Elders.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

No, Chisue, Buttermilk was the name of Dale's horse and Dusty was Roy's son. A couple of the girls at least used to sing. He chatted with Dusty out at the museum in California when it was out there. I never went with him, usually his brother and he would run around together.

Sue

• lazypup
    12 years ago

In 1967, while serving in the U.S.A.F. on a B-52 base at Blytheville, Ark I was working on a load crew loading bombs in a B-52 and the pilot came out to do his preflight inspection. The pilot was Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart (the movie actor). He was a bomber pilot during WWII and after the war he remained active in the Air Force Reserve. When I met him he was in for his annual two week reserve duty and he was assigned as the command pilot on a B-52. We had to wait for another load of ordinance to come out to the airplane so we had a chance to just stand around and shoot the bull with him for about 45 minutes. A nicer guy you never met.

In the mid 80's I was driving truck hauling steel and on my way back to Ohio from N.Y. I happened to pull into a rest area on Interstate 80. As I pulled in I noticed a large buss, like a greyhound parked in the truck parking area and the driver had the rear engine cover opened up. After I parked I walked over and asked the driver if he was okay? He said his fuel filter was fouled up and he could not get any power. I looked in the engine compartment and it was the same 318 Detroit Diesel as we had in our trucks so I asked him if it was a PF-97 filter? He says yes, so I told him I had a spare onboard and I could give it to him. Within about 5 minutes we had the filter changed and he started the engine to try it. Worked fine so when he walked back to the rear to close the engine compartment a lady followed him. When she got to the rear I realized who she was. It was Lorretta Lynn and that was her tour buss. The driver told her that I had the part and that we had the buss ready to go. She then asked me what they owed me for fixing the buss and I jokingly said, I would settle for an autography. She then said something to the driver and he walked up to the front of the buss and back and handed her an album and a magic marker. She autographed the album, then a casette tape and she asked me how far we were from the Packard Music Hall in Warren, Ohio? I told her it was about 250 miles and I gave the driver the most direct route.

She says, its gonna be close, it is now 11am and we are supposed to be on stage at 7pm. Our equipment is already their but we still have to make it.

I told her they would have no problem making it on time, then she asked if I was going to her concert? I said I had seen the advertisements for it but when I went to get tickets it was sold out. Then she says, "I can fix that" and she went up front and came back with two tickets with backstage passes attached. She says, " I will be looking forward to seeing you down front tonight".

• dotmom
    12 years ago

When we lived in Butte Montana, I was Hostess and cashier in a hotel restaurant. Evil Kanevil (sp?) came in often. When he was leaving he asked me what time did I get off work. I asked why and he said he would swing by and pick me up to go out for the evening. I asked him if his wife would be coning along too. He just said, Your loss. He was such a smart mouthed jerk.

My son, the radio disc jockey on an oldie station has had phone and in person interviews, Three dog Night, Paul Anka, David Cassidy, Bobby Ridell, and more that i can't remember.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

Cool stories! I really love your Loretta Lynn story Lazypup!

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Rode up the mountain in a gondola at a ski resort in Utah with Terry Bradshaw and his wife. I think she was a pro skiier. I had no idea who they were until we got out and my brother asked me if I knew who that guy was. Still had no clue.

Had my picture taken with my friend and Frank Sinatra when I worked at the Hamilton hotel in suburban Chicago. He was there for a political fundraiser, for Ronald Reagan I think.

• mojomom
    12 years ago

Bill and Hillary Clinton. Ok, it's a small state and we moved somewhat in the same circles off and on way back when before 1992. The first time I remember meeting her was standing in line for a movie (Jeremiah Johnson, as I recall) when I was an undergrad. I had a date with a law student and she was a brand new professor at the law school. I was the honor attendant in a wedding he performed during his first term as governor and since that time, there have been a few other weddings, bar association meetings and other functions where at least a word or two were exchanged. I also attended his first and last inaugural balls as governor and his first presidential inaugural ball (or one of them). He was, and probably still is, a big note writer. Back in the late 80s I was on the board of an agency that celebrated some milestone (can't even remember what) and he came to the dinner. I remember receiving a very nice handwritten note from him a few days later. DD and Chelsea were at the same pre-school for one year, but in different classes, and DD met him and had her picture taken with him when she was a page for a day at the state capital when she was 12 (they discussed shoe sizes).

• terilyn
    12 years ago

Mickey Mantle was a friend of my brother, he used to come and visit, I took him out one night to a real "redneck" bar, we had fun! Al Gore was a friend of my dad, met him several times. Met ZZ Top once, hung out for an evening. Used to see Farah Fawcett and Julia Roberts at the grocery store, never talked to either one. Farah's cousin is my dentist.

• donna37
    12 years ago

Met Tony Orlando when DD was running spotlight for him at his theater in Branson. He was rather full of himself. Kept reminding DD which side of him to keep the spotlight on, he 'looked much better' from a certain side.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

So many.

Michael Landon - when he was Eugene Orowitz. He lived in our neighborhood.
    Celine Dion and Tommy Smothers in Rancho Mirage. Golf tournament.
    Leo Durocher - met in elevator in hotel in Chicago. He took me to a White Sox game.
    Hilary and Chelsea Clinton - I worked on Hilary's primary run in last election. Both are very natural and nice people.
    Yo Yo Ma - we sat across from each other on a flight from Toronto. He even buys a seat for Petunia(the name of his cello) and it has a custom made seat belt. Charming and funny person.
    Charlton Heston - late on a Sunday morning in airline club. Bartender introduced us. When I said "Ben Hur", he grinned broadly, saying "most people say Moses".
    Al Michaels - Used to announce Monday Night Football - met at NFL owner's meeting, DH and I were staying at the same hotel in Palm Desert, and he sat down next to me at the pool.
    Florence Henderson - stayed at hotel where they were filming a movie. She was always in the hall, on the pay phone talking to her kids.

Many more, but I can't remember them all.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Hey Lazypup....I lived in Blytheville. Not military. I left there as a child in 1959....

To keep this on topic, George Hamilton was a kid in Blytheville. good friend on my brother.

ML

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I will try to remember all of them.
    In 2007 I got my picture taken with Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Bill Clinton each at different times. I chatted at length with Joe Biden at a soup supper.
    A cousin is Harrison Ford's pilot and best friend. I danced with and got my picture taken with HF at my cousin's wedding in Jackson Hole, WY in 1998.
    I helped keep autograph seekers away from Joe Montana when his sister-in-law graduated from a university where I worked. Afterward he came up and shook my hand and thanked me for doing a good job.
    I worked for Sec. of State Edmund Muskie when he was a Senator running for President in the early 70s. I also had volunteered in Sen. Ted Kennedy's office and in 1968 I shook hands with Bobby Kennedy when he came to San Francisco when he was running for President.
    My aunt worked for Sonny and Cher as Chastity's baby nurse and I met them and chatted with them twice.
    That is all my tired old brain can remember at the moment.

• vala55
    12 years ago

David Houston, Shoji Tabuchi, and other country singers. I told one of them NO! Can't remember his last name. I was very flattered, but figured if I hung around for an ending I wouldn't have been. LOL

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

as a kid lived in a building in the heart of hollywood, and minor actors, ice-skaters from the shows, and once the circus people stayed there...

probably though the one you'd know was ernest borgine...he moved right after doing well in the movie marty...

the circus people were a hoot...our ground level had very high ceilings, and they had a trampoline set up in the living room i could see them doing all sorts of flips, lol

the most infamous was lenny bruce (the potty-mouth) and his stripper wife...

probably the most fun was a pr man for universal studios...he was kind enough to take my dad and i to the studio before the days of tours...we had lunch, and sat just a few tables away from cary grant...wow what a day that was...

went to sunday school with the boy from rifleman..he also went to my hs...long long time ago!

• alisande
    12 years ago

I was at the Copacabana night club following my senior prom when the singer Tony Martin kissed me on the cheek. Five or six years later, Harry Belafonte kissed me on the same cheek. (He's a friend of my cousin's.)

When I worked at Lincoln Center I met many big names in classical music (Leonard Bernstein, etc.).

• carol_in_california
    12 years ago

I have played golf with Jack LaLanne and his wife Elaine.
    I met Don Drysdale at our country club. He was really a nice guy.
    I have met Robin Ventura, who was recently named manager of the Chicago White Sox...he has lived in our area since he was a little kid.
    Dh and I had an early (3 am) Breakfast across the aisle from George Gobel in Las Vegas way back when he was well known. Lovely chat with him.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Spoken with?

Diane Keaton (she's a hoot!), Julia Roberts & Piers Morgan in my hubby's antiques store. France Nguyen (rose gardening club).
    That's all I can think of right now.

We are in the Los Angeles area, so we have seen more that we haven't talked to.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

What fun all these great memories !!!

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Yep, Paul Newman filmed Slap Shot here, he often used our office's training room for his breaks, and he wrote to JoAnn Woodward every day. BJ Thomas was on one of my flights to LA. Charles Bronson, but he doesn't really count, just about everyone knew him, he's a local an came home to visit his mom often. Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer....a few golfers when they were here for the Sunnehanna Amateur Golf Tourney. I speak to a lot of celebrities because of my boss, Colin Powell, Prince Khalid, Elton John, a number of politicians come to mind immediately.

• sue_va
    12 years ago

My one claim to fame in this group is 5-star General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I was working in the Adjutant General's Office in the Pentagon when General Eisenhower returned from Europe. We were all allowed to go out to the concourse to meet him. I got to shake his hand. I still remember that beautiful smile.

Sue

• wildchild
    12 years ago

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 60s. So For me I would guess it would be a lot of people in the music scene but we didn't really think of them as celebrities. Down in the Haight or at the Filmore and the the Avalon we all mixed. The Dead, Big Brother, Youngbloods,The Airplane...it was just partying together.

I never paid for concerts and at outdoor venues I would be backstage because people I knew would be doing security.

Same with the Bay Area bar crowd later. We've always had so many sports teams that it was quite common to be sitting next to a football player or some Roller Derby "star".

I was an "On Any Sunday" girl at the local drag strip and motorcycle scrambles so I knew several people into motorcycle racing that later achieved fame in the sport. Jimmy Odom and Kenny Roberts were two.

I know some somewhat "notorious" people who have written books.

I once shared a breakfast table with a guy in the Mob. I didn't realize it at the time. Only found out later. The place was crowded and I just asked I could join him. LOL After he left one of the waitresses asked me how I could do that. Didn't want to wait for a table I said.

First celebrity I remember talking to was Tommy Smothers when I was around 12. Last celebrity I spoke to personally was Lacy J Dalton in Sept.

It's really hard for me to define "celebrity". I used to know a guy who came to my house to swim in our pool all the time. We were just friends but he was phreaker (phones). He would say he had to go see his friend Steve to work on their projects. It was only in recent years I learned that this guy was Steve Wozniak. So is he a celebrity or what. To me he is just a guy who did well in his career. Just another phone phreaker computer geek at the right place in history and time with the knowledge to make it big.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Two more I forgot. Barack Obama..at a campaign appearance and just me and John Wayne were in a shop in Williamsburg VA when he was taping the Perry Como Xmas show. I was a few aisles over and I heard this deep recognizable voice saying "I'll take two dozen of these candles". He was wearing a trenchcoat and loafers w/o socks which I found weird back then.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Oh Lily, my hubby would have loved to have been in that shop! He's a huge fan of the Duke.

• Lindsey_CA
    12 years ago

When I was in my late 20s and early 30s, I worked for two OB/GYNs in Beverly Hills. Our patients included, as you can imagine, many celebrities. Sometimes male celebrities would accompany their wives/girlfriends to appointments, too, especially if the wife/girlfriend was pregnant. During that same period of time, I was dating a guy whose father is a well-known director, and we'd often be on set while he was working, so we'd get to meet and "hang out with" celebs.

And once I was invited to be on set at General Hospital for an entire day of taping, so I got to meet, talk to, and "hang out with" all of the actors/actresses who were taping that day.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

Would you count last years entire Vikings football team?
    I don't, but some are impressed by such things.
    I spent a day at Winter park. Watched them practice, shook hands, took pictures. They were all very nice men, very personable. Even Farve. It was fun but it still didn't inspire me to actually watch a game.

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Lydia, you should get to St. Louis in University City, Chuck Berry plays every Weds at Blueberry Hill. Never advertised, but he is a regular.

Lynn, I live in the tiny town of Maricopa, AZ and John Wayne lived here for some time. There is lots of history and I think some of his family is still in the area. The part of Hwy 347 that runs through town is named "John Wayne Parkway" and in my subdivision my house backs on to the clubhouse of the golf course which is named "The Duke".

As for celebrities, I have worked in hotels and in casinos for years and met lots of sports figures, movie stars, and political figures. too many to count, but here is what I remember.

Ozzie Smith (St. Louis Cardinals) - he loves his slot machines!

Wayne Gretzky and his wife Janet Jones They play Blackjack and are great tipppers.

Brett Hull (former St. Louis Blues hockey) He was a crappy tipper.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (sans Flea) I dealt Roulette to them and they bet only red numbers!

Space Hog (opened for the Chili Peppers and joined them at the casino.

Pearl Jam opened for the RHCP,on a different tour. I always had backstage passes to one venue in St. Louis, and this was a double bill.

Guns 'n Roses They stayed at the Ritz Carlton where I was a concierge, nice guys and funny too, until the riot happened and they had to get back to the hotel and pack their stuff quickly and get out of town!

Cindy Crawford She was at the Ritz too, she asked me for a fax that had come in (remember, this is about 1990) and I went to the back and got the fax for her but couldn't help reading it: "I love and miss you. -Richard Gere

Geddy Lee (Rush lead singer) We had to go to his room with a bag of socks he had left at the stadium the night before at their concert.

Barry Manilow I dated his keyboardist and traveled the country with them.

Tom Jones Boyfriend quit Barry Manilow and joined up with Tom. Both Manilow and Tom Jones are really nice, Tom is a lot of fun and such a sweet guy.

Bristol Palin She bought a house in our neighborhood, I would see her at the grocery or at WalMart.

Brooks and Dunn Played craps at a reserved table so they didn't have to be pestered by autograph seekers. Nice guys, though.

Stone Temple Pilots After their show, we hung out backstage and they wanted to go see the Arch, so we all piled in my car and I took them over to touch the Arch.

Jesus Jones ('90s band) Went backstage and was hanging out when the drummer said to me with his British accent "didn't I see you this afternoon getting Petrol for your auto?" I HAD seen him there, miles from the theater, and he and the driver were fueling up when I was. I didn't think much of it then until he said that.

Nick "stiff the dealers" Lachey played blackjack and never once tipped the dealers anything. Cheap ass piece of crap.

Almost all of the Phoenix Suns, I don't follow basketball so I didn't know who they were when they came in.

Kevin Klein Good friend of the family.

Rod Stewart Kind of an ass, really.

Pia Zadora - Nasty woman.

Bobby Bonilla Baseball player who always waited for my window to be available at a hotel I worked at and he said that St. Louis has the BEST fans in baseball, great compliment.

Patrick Duffy would tease me everytime he was in town checking him in or out of the hotel.

Alan Greenspan, very nice and cordial.

Hal Linden, I gave him advice on where to get a good steak dinner, and when he came back to the hotel he brought me a plate of steak with all the fixins'!

Andy Cohen (executive producer of BRAVO network, he does all the "Real Housewives" shows and interviews after the shows and has a live TV show "What's Happening Live". I went to junior and senior high with him, we used to draw ballerinas on my notebook in the back of History classes. And he IS as sweet in person as he appears.

Bob Gibson (former baseball player) plays slots at current casino, but he was in my blackjack section helping his grandson play. We chatted for hours about baseball.

The band "Winger". I drove them to a strip club where they somehow kept from me that I was the stake for the winner in a game of pool. (Nobody collected, I am NOT that kind of a girl! Kip Winger is really nice.

The Cranberries Stayed at out hotel, lead singer Delores O'Reardon had a throat problem and I took her to a store to get some meds.

Edwin Meece Not much of a conversation, just came to the front desk for messages.

Rod Stewart Kind of nice, but not my favorite.

Saw Jackie Chan filming "Rush Hour 3" in Paris, no talking to him but we got to be extras.

Judge Alex I was on his show last year.

Devon Allman (Gregg's son) and I sext once in a while, he lives in St. Louis and when we moved down here we "chatted" via email. Funny thing is, my husband is so NOT jealous!

Louise Post of Veruca Salt I went to jr/high school with her, and her brother was my first REAL date. She is really nice and cool.

Okay, enough for me, I didn't realize how long this list is!!!

• dotmom
    12 years ago

I was called on stage by Robert Goulet, sang to and kissed on the cheek.
    Another celeb story when we lived in Butte Mt, we were going to have friends in for drinks snacks and cards. Our son Brian offered to go to the liquor store for the makings of cocktails, and on his way home decided to stop at a C-store for cigs. He drove around the back of the store and saw a Charley Daniels bus parked there, then as he drove around to the side of the store, there stood Charley just standing there smoking. Brian stopped and they chatted for a while about music, as Brian was a musician. Then Charley saw the brown bag from the liquor store on the seat next to Brian, and asked what he had there, Brian told him and Charley said He wouldn't mind taking a 'pull' off of that. Brian handed him the bottle and Charley opened the cap, tipped it up and took a drink. When Brian came home he said we would never believe who just drank out of the bottle. I asked him how Charley looked and Brian said he is kinda fat, wore a big white cowboy hat and even had the lump on his cheek from a wad of chaw. I said I sure hope there wasn't any floaters in the booze. I wish Brian had had Charley autograph the label of the bottle.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Marilyn_Sue -- Oops! Of course, Dale's horse was Buttermilk! I just couldn't place a "Dusty" in connection with Roy and Dale. I do remember that the couple adopted a slew of children -- so they called a boy "Dusty"? Was that his real name? (Sorry, it does sound less like a person and more like a pet.)

Linda_in_Iowa -- Harry Ford was one of the 4000 or so kids attending my HS when I was a Senior. He was a freshman or sophomore. In my yearbook he is a skinny kid with only one 'activity': He was an 'audio/video' boy -- one of the young geeks who delivered film equipment to classrooms. (You know how *un-formed* underclass boys look to Seniors!)

I share a home town with Hillary Clinton, but unfortunately have never met her.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Holy Smokes Michelle!!
    I have no doubt of your comments on some of the people.
    I remember seeing Pia Zadora in movies way back when, I didn't like her, just in the movies!

I love(d) Brooks and Dunn! They were one of my favourite concerts I have been to.

Can you explain "Tom Jones Boyfriend" part?

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Forgot another. I was at an antique show and commented to my friend how cute the guy we kept passing was in his white shirt w/ rolled up sleeves. He was by himself. As I went in a corner small booth, I actually collided with him- smack on. Neither of us was watching where we were going, and it was a tiny entrance to the booth. He said..'I'm very sorry, are you okay?'. I was and we kept on. Later I was trying to find the owner of the booth where I wanted to buy something and they said he was in the front watching Harrison Ford leave. He was in Lancaster making Witness. I had no idea who he was ,although I had seen some of his movies before Witness. He was shorter than I thought but still caught my eye initially.

• socks
    12 years ago

On a scavenger hunt with a group of other girls, we knocked on Rock Hudson's door. He invited us in and we did a piano sing-along during our visit.

• pplantlady
    12 years ago

Back some 30 years ago I used to cater motion pictures. We would go on location with a movie being filmed and feed the cast an crew for months at a time wherever they were filming. I have met many stars and even had a whipped creme pie throwing contest with James Caan. In fact, his son Scott was just a wee one when he visited Jimmy on the set of Hide in Plain Sight in Buffalo NY, and now he's all grown up and doing Hawaii FiveO. :-) Erin Grey was also in that film.

I've met: George Burns, Art Carney and Lee Strasberg when filming Going in Style about bank robbers hitting Vegas. I used to bring George his mail as I was a gopher in the office on that film. It was at the old Alladin Hotel in Vegas. I still can see Art Carney walking down the hallway of the hotel in his bathrobe, slippers and socks heading to George's room where he had a grand piano and they hug out after filming.
    I worked on The China Syndrome with Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon and Micheal Douglas. I remember that it was Easter time and Jane had her young kids come to the catering truck and we dyed easter eggs. That was fun for a work day. I worked on Bronco Billy, Escape from Alcatraz, Any Which way but Loose & Any Which Way you Can with Clint Eastwood. He is brillant but was really a disappointment to me.... it was still fun though. I worked with Kenny Rogers in Georgia on Six Pack. That was a fun movie and we had our wrap party at his ranch in Georgia. I rode a horse all day lol. There were so many more but I can't remember them at the moment.....I'd have to pull my movie tee shirts out....usually every movie had shirts made for the cast and crew and I have all of mine. When we had the wrap party at a resturant in LA for James Caans movie, Hide in Plain Sight, he was going through a divorce at the time and was living at the Playboy Mansion. Hugh Hefer was at the party. After the party we were all invited back to the mansion ....OMG that was awesome. I'll never forget it.....I still have the book af matches with Hef's name on it. What an amazing house. That night I had gotten engaged and at the party at Hef's a guy pulled me onto his lap for a congratulations kiss on the cheek. He had a bandana on and braids...... I had no idea who he was .... Willie Nelson. I had an amazing time in my 20's.

• lee676
    12 years ago

phxaz you listed Rod Stewart twice, one time he was "kind of nice", the other he was "an ass, really". So which is it?

Someone mentioned Don McLean - I used to live around the block from him, unknowingly.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

Chisue, Dusty was not adopted, he was Roy's son before he married Dale. I think he was named after his Dad, but they called him Dusty.

Sue

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

i'd forgot the night our neighbor who worked for the sd chargers had the team over, and asked dh if he's like to come in for a while...omg he was in football heaven...(the 1974-5 team)

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm amazed at how many of you have met or known famous people. I haven't met a single one, but that's ok by me. My nephew had a part in the last year of FNL--does that count? :)

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Jasdip, when Barry Manilow played in St. Louis they stayed at the Ritz where I was a concierge. Barry's keyboardist and another guy asked my coworker and I out that night. The keyboardist, Wally Minko, and I hit it off and dated for a few years, but I hated the travelling so we broke it off. We still Facebook each other, though. During the time we were dating he quit Barry because Tom Jones came to him with a smokin' contract. Now he plays keyboard for Santana quite often, kinda sorry I didn't stick around for that!!!

Lee, you are right, I did list Rod Stewart twice, he was nice a few times while in town but in whole he was kind of an ass to the front desk staff. Amazing what Ambien does for a memory! If I remember correctly, he had his kids and was in the lobby yelling at the nanny.

Another I didn't list is for the guys on this forum: The Dahm triplets. They are three gorgeous models who posed for Playboy. There was a TV show on HGTV where there were three house freshly built but with no decorations or fixtures. Three four-somes were chosen to decorate each house, the group that decorated the best won the house, and guess who won. The houses were built in my subdivision about 2 blocks away from us, my husband really really really wanted to have a housewarming pool party for them, but it didn't happen. They purchased the house next to them, and they come here often because their parents live in one of the houses, my husband golfs with them occasionally.

• lee676
    12 years ago

OMG you dated Wally Minko?

He's like one of these guys anyone who spent a few years playing in bands always runs into - touring keyboardists and backing musicians that nobody I know has ever heard of but are often more talented than the main acts they're supporting. Seriously, this guy is pretty amazing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4p1va99D0

Never met Rod Stewart but I met his then-wife, model Rachel Hunter, about 15 years ago. She was showing off some new clothing line at a store and this guy in the corridor was trying to get bypassers to stop in for the promo. Me being oblivious to the fashion and modelling world had never heard of her, so he asks "do you know Rod Stewart?" "Yeah." "she's his wife". So I walk in, embarrassed that I was wearing an old ugly shirt and worn-out pants when a supermodel is in town. Since I knew nothing about fashion, I chatted her up about Rod. We both had the same favorite song ("Mandolin Wind"), and even she agreed that "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is incredibly annoying. I tried to convince her that old slacks with no visible pleat and the fabric pilling up were going to be the next big thing. She begged to differ, but laughed....

And speaking of Rod Stewart, wish I could take credit for this brilliant tune, but a friend wrote and sang it....

If you see them again, pls send the Dahm triplets my way!

• zeetera
    12 years ago

The only one I can think of is Michael Jackson's mom's sister (not a celebrity, but close). All I kept thinking was that I was talking to LaToya because they sound exactly alike. Some friends in Hollywood who worked with Michael put on a barbeque for me and she came. Really nice lady.

Lazypup, that is a wonderful encounter to have. I hear she's in the hospital now but recovering.

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Lee676, yep, that's him! He so talented, thanks for the link. After intermission at the shows he would start bringing everyone back into the theater with a solo that he would make up then and there like that one, no two were ever alike. I loved that. The headboard at home was the body of an empty piano stood upright, the mattress fit in perfectly. The nicest compliment he (or anyone) ever gave me was "you have a clue". Beauty fades, but clues last forever! He recorded with Jean-Luc Ponty, if you like Jazz Fusion then get "Storytelling" by him. I met Wally a few years after he did that, and it is still one of my favorite CDs.

I will post some pics of the triplets if I ever see them again. They are really nice, I know at least one is married and I haven't seen them at the house for a few years, but I see their parents often.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

- Buddy Hackett (actor and Hollywood Squares) ... Buddy was at a party I attended. He approached me as I was walking down the hall, put his arm around me and said he wanted his photo taken with me. I still have it somewhere.

- Lee Oskar (harmonica player for War) ... I used to hang out in the 70s with the group War because I knew Lee, the harmonica player.

- Hal Ketchum (singer songwriter) ... if you're into country music, you may know several of his songs. I ran a fan sight for him for 8 years.

- Grant Geissman (Chuck Mangionne, Monk and Two and Half Men) ... Grant and I went to high school together and still exchange Christmas cards. Grant is well known for his iconic guitar solo in Chuck Mangionne's Feel So Good. He played the season one theme song for Monk and co-wrote the theme song for Two and a Half Men.

- Keiffer Sutherland (24) ... Stood next to him in line at the Orange County, John Wayne airport where we were both flying to NYC. He was going for a season premier of 24, I was going to spend time with my DD who was living there at the time.

- John Quinones (Primetime and 20/20) ... John was on my flight to Buenos Aires in 2006. Once we landed, he asked me to keep an eye on his luggage while he made a phone call.

- Donny Osmond (singer and Dancing with the Stars) ... Donny and his family lived in my neighborhood for many years back in the 80s. We bumped into him at the grocery store and in line at the movie theater.

- Vince Ferragamo (NFL LA RAMs and Chicago Bears player) ... I do graphic design once a year (for the last 12 years) for Vince and his Vince Ferragamo Foundation and Special Olympics involvement.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Jodi-

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Michelle - What happened that put you on the Judge Alex show?

• lee676
    12 years ago

Thanks Michelle, thanks I'll check out that J-LP album.

Incidentally, the clip I linked to earlier is from Jamie Glaser, who may not be a familiar name, but I'd bet nearly everyone reading this has heard his music - if you watch Seinfeld, you know those 3- or 4-second slap-guitar licks that separate scenes? That's Jamie Glaser. There, now he's a celeb!

I'm one or two degrees removed from about 50 different rock stars, but haven't met many of the stars themselves, just guitarists and keyboardists that play in their bands (or their roadies).

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I received my college diploma from Bobby Kennedy back in 1964, Have seen other Kennedy family members here in Massachusetts many times. Teddy, especially, was out and about before he died.

My daughter has a picture of herself with George Bush and another with John McCain when she was a student at Dartmouth. She also sat next to Whoopie Goldberg at the movies once in NYC.

• pattico_gw
    12 years ago

not me...but Denny had lunch with John Wayne, Burgess Meridith, and Kirk Douglas.

They were filming "In Harms Way" on his ship when Denny was in the Navy. They came and sat at his table with him.
    He must have looked lonely sitting there alone...lol

Denny and I have watch that movie many time...he likes seeing a lot of his old buddies.

And you can hear Denny in the movie giving orders to shoot the big guns. LOL..Denny has a real deep voice...but in the movie he sounds like a girl...must have been really nervous.

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Gardenspice, sorry this is so late, but I never saw your post!

We had a "friend" who was going through a rough patch with his wife and he had just lost his job. They only had one vehicle and I offered to loan him my green '97 Sebring Convertible to use whenever he wanted,we have three cars for the two of us, so it wouldn't be a hardship to us. After about a year I offered to sell it to him for $2500, we drew up a promissory note and we both signed it in April of '09. I gave him two years to pay it off, $100/month for 25 months. In October of that year he hadn't paid a dime and I filed an addendum to the original Promissory note because he hadn't paid per the contract.

He skipped town and moved to Indiana with my car without making a single payment. I found out where he worked and had him served at his work with legal papers for the money.

While the filing was happening, I called several shows, Judge Alex was the first to call on a Tuesday, the show was taping on Thursday! But when they got us there within days (which is why a lot of people aren't prepared when they come to court). I totally thought it was a joke until I went to the courthouse and they confirmed that a guy had been in a few days earlier to look for my file.

I was called on a Tuesday and flew out Thursday morning. They flew me to the FOX studios and had a meet and greet with my handler and given $35 cash for spending money for the night. They also provided a hotel room. They flew me in but not Jim, who really wanted to be there, drove the 6 hours or so to meet me there.

The next day they were taping and did my hair and makeup and fed me about 6 Red Bulls to get my emotions rolling, but I don't get upset easily, so the script they wanted me to say I flubbed up so bad it was left on the cutting room floor.

How these court shows work is that the people really ARE real, and Judge Alex dismissed my case without predjudice, which means I can resue him when the two year Promissory note was cleared. We were each given $150 for our appearances and up to your state law for the car (mine happened to be $2500. Now, at least on JA's show, the money comes from the the network and goes to the winner and the defendant would have to pay nothing to me. But could he keep his big, fat mouth shut he would have gotten off scott-free and would no longer be required to pay me anything. But the dumbass waved the Addendum to the judge and screwed himself out of $2500.

The two years went by and voila! There was a cashiers check from the weasel. I am glad it is all over, but I miss my Green Machine, I hated to see it go.

• User
    12 years ago

I was friends with Mel Torme for the last 20 years of his life. He liked small venues here and I met him through a friend of mine who interviewed celebrities who came to town. I had always been a fan of his so was very lucky that my friends became his friends. Later he performed at Wolf Trap, an outdoor venue here. He always got tickets for me in Row N.
    I never dated him or anything like that but I used to have dinner parties at my place or go out. A very talented guy in so many categories and very down to earth who told good stories but was a great listener as well and remembered others stories and kidded them when they met again.

I saw his son James a couple of years ago perform here and he is quite talented too. He sings The Great American Songbook tunes like his dad but has his own songs and a pretty big following of people his own age.

I also knew George Shearing, who played piano with Mel for awhile, but did not know him very well. I admired him greatly as a true gentleman. They were good together and funny.

Dotmom, Robert Goulet sang to me too at Homecoming in college. He called me up on stage by name and sang "If you were the only girl in the world and I was the only boy." I had no idea this was going to happen but my date did.
    His eyes were piercing blue with the dark stage and the spotlight on us. I almost for got such a sweet memory.

I see celebs/politicians around town and they live in my area but I don't bother them.