SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Another quandry; baseboards and window trim

caroline94535
9 years ago

I have been suffering - suffering I say - through a "living room refurbishment" that began in June.

It was to take two to three weeks to complete. It's now October 25 and nothing is finished yet.

The major issue for today is...

I am not happy with the color, style, or wood type of the new window trim, door trim, and baseboards. Yes, I ordered it; yes; I approved it; yes; it's my fault, and yes, it makes me ill to think of the waste if I replace it.

It is not returnable. Contractor Chuck wants to install it this week.

My 60 year old oak floor was sanded and refinished without staining it. It's very pale "white oak" color with streaks of some tans, some greys, beautiful wood. Even with the large, obvious 4x5-ft. patch of new wood near the front door, I am in love with the floor.

The contractor, the floor finisher, the builder neighbor all told me the floor is "red" oak. Then why is it pale, white, with no red tones at all?

Pressed for time, I ordered the trim boards from a sample. I ordered pre-stained red oak. To my eye it looks odd against the floor. "Odd" is my way to trying to be polite and not say "friggin' ugly."

The Marvin windows have are unfinished pine interiors and whtie Ultrex on the outside. The interior was to be stained to match the trim. I had originally priced out pre-finished oak interior windows but they were far too expensive for this old, tired house. It would have looked as if I were trying to "make a silk purse from a sow's ear".

Which would you do...

(1) Let Chuck trim out the windows and get part of this job finally finished?

(2) Then try to sand, restain, replace, or paint - all the trim in a year or two?

(3) Bite the bullet and reorder new trim in a color I will like. Chuck will have a fit, 'cause there's been too many delays and backtracking on this "small" job. It may be "small" for him but it's "huge" for me.

I would probably get the trim in a poplar wood in a darker, maybe "chestnut" finish and match the trim to the windows and not the floor.

(4) Or should I get poplar wood to trim the pine windows and use oak baseboard on the oak floors?

Chuck installed the two huge windows and did a perfect job. It's wonderful to have insulated, double pane windows that work - with no rotted sashes and loose panes! I know I won't have snow piled up inside and under the windows this year!

He built the coat closet near the front door. Again a perfect job but I can't decided on a door. Painted? Or stained to match the (ugly) trim, making the off-color even more prominent?

He built a wall extension to house the new air exchanger duct. He re-textured and is painting the walls.

I do jest at "suffering," I am blessed to be getting a new electric heat pump, gas furnace backup, A/C, and an air cleaner system and duct work. Its installation is almost finished. We put in the new windows, and when, or if, this job is ever finished I'm actually getting new furniture for the room.

But the trim is still not right for the room or my "vision" of it.

Can you help me decide what to do?

And, in God's great scheme for the universe, none of these issues are important. The blinds I've planned for the windows will hide the trim anyway. The room is so small only tiny bits of the baseboard will show once the furniture is in.

I feel guilty for having so much - a house that will be so much warmer this winter - and safe furnace. Windows that block the elements, a place to sit and eat and be. I have the money to buy new trim; I just don't have what it takes to be so wasteful.

And Chuck may very well, justifiably, run away from my house if there's one more delay or change.

Comments (8)